Springfield XD-9 SC or Kel Tec PF-9

ok boys & girls, help me out.......i've looked at the springfield xd-9 subcompact and frankly, i like it alot. however, i currently have a Kel-Tec PF-9 as my EDC. The PF-9 has a good bang for a little pistol, although tweeking the arthritis. Would the XD SC be any easier on the wrists????? Which would you use for your EDC??? I'm interested to know, may want to look more seriously at the SC. Give me your opinions......thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Yes, definately.

My friend has a Kel Tec PF9 and it kicks like a mo-fo (for a 9mm). It's slim and all, but I'd prefer the XD.

I have briefly shot a PF-9, 5 or 6 rounds, through some guys I met at a range a couple months ago. I had my Kahr PM9 with me, and let them shoot that a little also.

Can tell you that the PF-9 kicked more than the Kahr, although I don't exactly know why, since they are similar in size and both "tupperware".

But for SURE, the XD 9 SC will have less impact on you. It's still rather snappy, but is more of a "push" than a "snap", in same way that a .45 is more than a "push" than a "snap/flip" compared to .40.

The tradeoff is that XD is a thicker gun, but it still conceals just fine for me as my EDC. On the plus side, you've got 10+1 in the short mag, plus a 16 round backup mag.

PM me if you'd like to meet and shoot mine...last time I checked, Coal Creek didn't have one for rent.

- OS

I'm thinking the Springfield will be more reliable and more accurate than the PF9. I have a PF9, and like it very much, however I carry a GLOCK 27 in my front pocket when I can wear Khaki pants. So, the Springfield will be better most times, but there will be other times you will need the extra concealability of the PF9. There is no one gun that can do it all. So, you really need BOTH.

I'm thinking the Springfield will be more reliable and more accurate than the PF9. ...

I'll opine that there's little doubt about that, especially over time.

I doubt many, if any, Kel-Tecs can have a 25,000+ round life...

- OS

Guest EasilyObsessed
The only compact 9 Springfield makes is the EMP. But they are pretty hard to get right now and they cost a lot more than the Kel-Tec. :popcorn:

You dont consider the XD9sc a compact gun?

Guest bkelm18
The only compact 9 Springfield makes is the EMP. But they are pretty hard to get right now and they cost a lot more than the Kel-Tec. :popcorn:

I didn't see him asking about an EMP...

What's an EMP?

Some folks in Geneseo slapping together Brazilian parts?

Generally several times until they get it right? ;)

I don’t know man I have a Kimber SIS Ultra for that application. :P

Springfield was building some quality stuff on quality frames. They were using Brazilian frames on their cheaper lines. Are they using Brazilian frames for the EMP? :popcorn:

I don’t know man I have a Kimber SIS Ultra for that application. :P

Springfield was building some quality stuff on quality frames. They were using Brazilian frames on their cheaper lines. Are they using Brazilian frames for the EMP? :popcorn:

I thought they used Brazilian frames for all the 1911s. Plus other non-US parts.

But of course it's "hecho in USA".

- OS

I thought they used Brazilian frames for all the 1911s. Plus other non-US parts.

Wow… if that’s true; that’s too bad. I don’t own any Springfield’s right now, but I have in the past and would again if they are still the quality they made in the past.

But thats just me. :popcorn:

Wow… if that’s true; that’s too bad. I don’t own any Springfield’s right now, but I have in the past and would again if they are still the quality they made in the past.

But thats just me. :popcorn:

Well, I don't know it to be 100% true, just what I've read from seemingly more knowledgeable folks on other forums.

I'd prefer to have a gun totally made and assembled in USA, but hey, Croats gotta eat too.

And obviously LOTS of Austrians. :P

- OS

Guest tcampbell
Yes. It just isn’t a Springfield.

yeah, and neither is half the stuff made in this world actually what it says it is. Fact is, the XD is backed by springfield, they have been put through extrmely rigid tests, they have a limited lifetime warranty. It has the springfield logo and springfield wouldn't be selling it if it wasn't up to par. Sorry it's not good enough for you. Most of your Kimber parts prolly aren't made in the USA either...suprise!

Guest Bronker

- OS

That's "Hecho en E.U.A." there...Chief.

And yes...get the XDsc.

...Chief...

I'll bite on this one.

I have owned an XD9 and a KelTec P11 before and really just didn't care much for either.

The P11 is much lighter and smaller but most uncomfortable when "training" with it. (After all, you shouldn't go "practice" with your carry guns, you should go train with them. ) Yes there have been issues with different KelTec's in various calibers but the company seems solid and has continued progression on their nitche of the market producing better and smaller defensive firearms....

The XD9 (much like a Glock) is a solid built firearm that still has the concealability needed for confortable carry in shorts-n-t shirt (IWB) and is a comfortable firearm to train with. Reliability of the XD series along with the Springfield name make this sub compact a great choice for personal defense carry.

Between these two choices, I'd choose the XD hands down. It can do more "comfortably" than the KelTec. A firearm being comfy in your hands can help with the natural and trained abilities you have and help them to shine when you need it most. As I said before, I have owned both of these firearms. Neither were confortable enough to shoot naturally which effected my aim and concentration. Out of 8 to 10 platforms I've attempted to use as a carry weapon, I have converted back to my Glock time and time again because to me, it's a natural extension of my hand. Fitment is perfect, shooting is a cinch and they are very simple pistols.

Choose what you want but make sure you factor in your daily uses, with feel, fitment and concealability.

Edited by kwe45919
...Out of 8 to 10 platforms I've attempted to use as a carry weapon, I have converted back to my Glock time and time again because to me, it's a natural extension of my hand. Fitment is perfect, shooting is a cinch and they are very simple pistols.

Choose what you want but make sure you factor in your daily uses, with feel, fitment and concealability.

All great advice...

Without getting back into Glock/XD holy war or anything, my main carry choice came down to Glock 26 or XD 9 SC.

Knowing as little as I did, it was clear that should I have to defend my life, it would likely come down to a quick point and shoot scenario.

Pointing a Glock 26/27, then looking through sights - always significantly high, pointing an XD, right on. I'm sure I could have compensated with some practice, but ...

Since then, have shot various Glocks and I'm just as accurate with Glock or XD using the sights, though I'm far from being a "good shot", but the "point shooting" differerence remains.

Also, I admit I really liked the extra safety margin of the XD grip safety, mostly during holstering. Call me a weenie regarding that, I don't care. :koolaid:

- OS

Knowing as little as I did, it was clear that should I have to defend my life, it would likely come down to a quick point and shoot scenario.

Pointing a Glock 26/27, then looking through sights - always significantly high, pointing an XD, right on. I'm sure I could have compensated with some practice, but ...

Since then, have shot various Glocks and I'm just as accurate with Glock or XD using the sights, though I'm far from being a "good shot", but the "point shooting" differerence remains.

Also, I admit I really liked the extra safety margin of the XD grip safety, mostly during holstering. Call me a weenie regarding that, I don't care. :shrug:

- OS

Seems we've been down the same road. I'm all for anyone useing any brand they are comfortable with. That way if the s*it hit the fan.....hopefully they will be able to use the weapon more effectively and can keep them selves and others from being hurt or dead.

I like the XD9sc a lot. I have held one but have not been able to shoot one though, I will soon. I don't like the feel of it as much as my Glock 26, but that is just me. The 26 points dead on for me, so I would assume that a XD might point low? Who knows. Pick one that feels good to you. I think the PF9 is a good gun as well, but for your arthritis concerns, something with a wider grip will spread the energy out over a wider area and probably help to alleviate some of the pain. You could also look at going with a heavier gun, like a Sig or a metal framed Kahr. The extra weight would soak up a lot of the recoil, and should help you to avoid pain when shooting.