Best way to carry??

Guest Rem_700

Guest Rem_700

I passed my HCP class Monday and I am going to file my application to the state,either tomorrow or FRI.I will be carrying a Walther P99 in 40S&W,I need some recomendations on how to carry and what type of holster I shold get.I have no idea on the subject,as I don't know anyone who carries,so I can't get tips and pointers from them.I know i'll have a good while to find the right holster once my application is submited!LOL...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I would say whatever you feel the most comfortable with. There are several ways to carry; in your pocket, hip, inside the waist (IWB). You just need to try out different holsters and decide what feels right. I don't think there really is a "best" way to carry. It's an individual decision.

I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but what works for someone else may not work for you....

Guest JHatmaker

You also need to take into consideration where you'll be carrying. Do you want your gun to be totally hidden? If so, then a hip holster wouldn't work unless you where a coat or jacket, and with the spring and summer approaching it's gonna get warm.

Your Walther should fit nicely in your pocket, and they make pocket holsters so it's not banging against your keys, phone etc.

Guest Rem_700

I've thought of just going to a gun shop and trying all the different holsters they have.Any certain/brand of holsters i should look at,as far as quality goes?

Guest JHatmaker

The leather ones are going to be a lot more expensive than the plastic/canvas one's. I have a few Uncle Mike's holsters, most shops carry those. Blackhawk(?) is another brand.

Some gun manufacturers make their own holsters. As far as the leather one's go, I just ordered one online from Kramer leather which are supposed to be good. Also most local stores carry Galco leather holsters, but expect to spend above $60 on a nice one. Going back to the Uncle Mike's holsters, they come in snap-tight plastic boxes so you can take them out, and most gun shops will let you put one of their guns (in your particular model) in it so they make sure it fits properly. Typically as long as the trigger is hidden and it's secure; that's a good fit.

And then it goes back to personal preference; do you want the entire barrel covered, or is it ok if the end comes out somewhat, etc.

I've thought of just going to a gun shop and trying all the different holsters they have.Any certain/brand of holsters i should look at,as far as quality goes?

That is a good idea...as was previously posted, it is really a personal decision. I carry with a Blackhawk Serpa mostly...I like the security and the retention design...which is important to me, I also have an IWB that I really don't care for due to comfort level...I carry a G27, so I may be exploring pocket holsters for the summer. Consider the attire you normally wear, if you are going to carry it on you while driving, will you feel better with a thumb-break or similar retention mech., Galco, Milt Sparks and there is a member on the Sigforum under the name of "Cowboy" that hand makes holsters...great product and very good quality and price...I think it is under Grizzly Leather is the name of his business...might be worth a look!

Guest Rem_700
I would also suggest having the mindset you won't have just "one" holster. The things just start multiplying. :up:

Just like the guns you carry!LOL...

Guest JHatmaker
I would also suggest having the mindset you won't have just "one" holster. The things just start multiplying. :koolaid:

Tell me about it, the wife is starting to get pissed and doesn't understand why I need two of everything. :koolaid:

Guest Major Pain

Hit the gun shows. Lots of different types and styles, try them all. You will still end up buying one or two that you don't really care for after wearing for a while. Then the one will come along. --MP