Carrying knives in TN

Guest kingtone

Guest kingtone

Where could i find more information about what knives are allowed or not and how u can carry them.

Does anyone know if it is legal to carry a butterfly knife in TN?

I know many of you carry a knife as backup or whatever...

Any info would be appreciated!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pl1ght

I know the blade limit is 4". I believe auto(switchblade) knives are illegal. Butterflys are legal, but there has been confusion in the past and some LEOs may not understand that they are legal. So its up to you to chance carrying one of those and getting hassled. Im sure there is a lot more info that someone else could share.

Edited by pl1ght

Kinfe laws are in the same place as Firearm laws in the T.C.A. Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13. You can search T.C.A. here

39-17-1307 Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon.

(a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4²), or a club.

39-17-1302. Prohibited weapons.

(a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs or sells;

(7)
A switchblade knife or knuckles

(:koolaid: It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person's conduct:

(8)
Involved the manufacture and sale of an automatic knife; provided, that the sale of such knife was limited to:

(A)
Retail establishments that represent in writing under oath before a notary public that they only sell the knives to law enforcement officers, military personnel and emergency medical technicians;

(
:koolaid:
Law enforcement officers;

©
Military personnel; or

(D)
Emergency medical technicians.

39-17-1301. Part definitions.

As used in this part, unless the context otherwise requires:

(14)
“Switchblade knife†means any knife that has a blade which opens automatically by:

(A)
Hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle; or

(
:koolaid:
Operation of gravity or inertia

I left out parts of 39-17-1302 and tried to post only the areas dealing with knives.

You can also read the text of the case that says "butterfly" knives are not switchblade knives here

Kinfe laws are in the same place as Firearm laws in the T.C.A....

Also note that there are some additional specific knife type bans, regardless of length, as relates to school property.

"It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind ..."

- OS

Guest bkelm18
I dont know the laws but at the gun show in smyrna this weekend I know I saw someone selling switchblades?

You can own switchblades, you just cannot carry them.

• 1 year later...
Guest Commander45
Also note that there are some additional specific knife type bans, regardless of length, as relates to school property.

"It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind ..."

- OS

Newbie to the site here. I carry a Colt Combat Commander when I can. However, I am not allowed to carry at work in downtown Memphis--prohibited by my employer. I am interested in carrying a slap or blackjack that I can tuck in my boot or back pocket. We have some really aggressive street people that I encounter while walking to lunch, and I would like to carry something to protect myself should they get too aggressive. I just want clarity on the legality of carrying a slap or blackjack. I have a handgun carry permit, but wonder if these defensive weapons are covered and permitted under those laws. It appears Kentucky refers to their permits as CCDW--concealed carry of defensive weapons. Didn't know if the spirit of the law was the same here.

Thanks.

Newbie to the site here. I carry a Colt Combat Commander when I can. However, I am not allowed to carry at work in downtown Memphis--prohibited by my employer. I am interested in carrying a slap or blackjack that I can tuck in my boot or back pocket. We have some really aggressive street people that I encounter while walking to lunch, and I would like to carry something to protect myself should they get too aggressive. I just want clarity on the legality of carrying a slap or blackjack. I have a handgun carry permit, but wonder if these defensive weapons are covered and permitted under those laws. It appears Kentucky refers to their permits as CCDW--concealed carry of defensive weapons. Didn't know if the spirit of the law was the same here.

Thanks.

No, A Handgun Carry Permit is good for Handguns only, it does not cover any other weapon.

It is illegal to carry a club in TN (39-17-1307) There is a defense to that, if you have had training for use of a club/baton.

Guest PSO3106

The one advantage to being a Paramedic, is that I can legally carry my Benchmade auto blade. There is an exemption for Police, Fire, EMS and Active Duty Military.