Carry and commercial vehicles

I've got a question or two concerning carrying in a commercial vehicle, or even what Tennessee considers a commercial vehicle.

I'm an equipment mechanic, I travel from customer to customer in a van with a company logo on the side and commercial, 16,000 pound tags. From my reckoning, this would be a commercial vehicle. I've been told it's illegal to carry in any commercial vehicle, be it a semi truck or a work van, regardless of CDL requirements to drive it.

On the other hand, I have several friends that are self employed, one of which is a locksmith, and the other a tow truck driver. Both own their own business, and both own the vehicle they drive, through the business. One has a van, the other a large rollback wrecker. Both carry on the job, and believe they are legal, despite having commercial tags on their work vehicles. What's the legal answer to this? Can a HCP holder carry in a vehicle with commercial tags, or are you required to disarm, even if you own the business and the truck?

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The thread posted my RISC777 pretty well sums it up, but NO, it is not against the law to carry in a commercial vehicle.

Now, you'll want to make sure (if you care) that your company doesn't have a policy against you carrying a firearm, and you'll also want to make sure you are following all fed/state/local laws while carrying.

It is a common misconception amongst commercial driver (mainly OTR drivers) that there is some Federal Law that prevents you/us from carrying a firearm while on duty. There is no such law.

With that being said, carrying a firearm while driving a truck OTR is probably not a good idea (if you care about the law) for many drivers, because chances are, you'll end up somehwere like Cali, Illinois, New York, etc. that won't allow you to carry even if you do have a valid HCP for your home state.

I drive in TN and KY only, and my company has no rules against carrying a firearm, so I am able to do as I please. Have done so for the last 6 years with no problems, and I've been stopped in the weigh stations on many occasions. Never any trouble there either.

Due to being misinformed, I've been going unarmed at work, and feeling very uncomfortable with it. While in my work van, I don't have to deal with weigh stations, or going out of state beyond the occasional trip to Kentucky or Alabama.

The only issue I anticipate, is several of our customers have their facilities properly posted to prohibit firearms, along with requiring us to pass through metal detectors. It's probable that I'll have to disarm at various points throughout the day to enter their buildings, but that can be accommodated as necessary.