Tell me why I want an AK for my Homeland Defense Collection

Guest betobeto

Here's the reason you need an AK. Because when SHTF you don't want to have to look for your cleaning kit so your AR will work, you probably won't be taking that 300 m shot, or be trying to hold tight group at a 100 yards. With that said buy an AK and 2k of ammo and lock it up, put it in the ground or what ever. Just get one! You can't go wrong owning another gun.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the reason you need an AK. Because when SHTF you don't want to have to look for your cleaning kit so your AR will work

Man, I see this all the time - if your AR is that bad off, you need to have it worked on.

Funny how all the guys I know serving don't have issues their M16's and M4's...

Guest pl1ght
Man, I see this all the time - if your AR is that bad off, you need to have it worked on.

And all of em would take the dead enemies AKs off their hands if they were allowed.

Guest betobeto

LOL. I own ARs I only have 1 AK. But there is no comparing the two when it comes down to maintenance.

But OH Well. Its the same argument over and over.

Edited by betobeto
LOL. I own ARs I only have 1 AK. But there is no comparing the two when it comes down to maintenance.

But OH Well. Its the same argument over and over.

I didn't say the AR was as reliable as the AK - that would be foolishness.

Just making the point that if you aren't willing to grab your AR if the SHTF, then there's probably some things that need attention. Not sure why anyone would want a gun they couldn't depend on if necessary.

Guest 70below

Functionally, they are two entirely different beasts.......both serve a purpose, just accomplish it in a different fashion. It would be like trying to decide whether to take an Hummer or a corvette to the grocery store. Both will get you there, it just depends on the route your taking.

Guest betobeto
Functionally, they are two entirely different beasts.......both serve a purpose, just accomplish it in a different fashion. It would be like trying to decide whether to take an Hummer or a corvette to the grocery store. Both will get you there, it just depends on the route your taking.

Thank you! Very well said. Take the hummer you might need to run something over:D

Guest Gun Geek
You should buy one so we can go shooting, I will bring the ammo.

I am in I am still waiting for my ammo.

Umm when I was in there was constant issues with the M16's Jamming issues. Clean it and it still jams. I would say maybe my rifle just had issues but i wasnt the only one. The AR is a nice pretty gun and a nice gun, in fact it is my next purchase but I being back in that situation I would have taken an AK over the M16/AR any day.

I agree with the others the 7.62x39 is has more punch than the .223. Not only that the AK will feed dirty, muddy, wet etc etc. However ammunition is not really much cheaper than .223 currently. And it is just as hard to find. I ordered ammo 3 weeks ago and am still waiting on it.

If you want one get one because the price of the AK is going up. 2 months before election they were 300-1000 now they start out at about 500, and I've seen cheapos go on GB for 900+. If you do some searching you can still find a decent price though. To my understanding even the dealer price has gone up on these due to demand.

It doesnt matter what you carry if you shoot em in the head.

The only thing about carrying an AK in a SHTF situation, you can carry twice as much .223 ammo for the weight of what you could carry 7.62.

If it were me id go ak74,reliability and lighter bullets.

Im not to worried about ammo compatibility,if i find a load of ammo out somwhere in a shtf situation there is probably a dead guy nearby with the gun that fires it.

How can you not want one?

I can only fit 29 in my 30 round mag. It takes about 2 min. to fill the mag and less than 3 seconds to empty.

I built mine for around $250.00 total when kits were cheap and plentiful. That was enough reason for me. Now I am not sure if I would go that same route, but I probably would. It is gratifying to to know that I assembled that rifle and I hope to pass it on to my son......so buy it for you, the future, and your children.

I like AKs for the symbolism and the history behind it.

It's a symbol of rebellion - going against the grain and the status quo. For now I'll ignore that some of those rebels are terrorist but the symbolism stands.

A testament of 'going against the grain' is taking the AK to the range and getting these looks and under the breath comments of how inaccurate they are then checking my target and seeing I did about the same than the guy with the scoped rifle who paid more on that scope than my whole rifle.

And all of em would take the dead enemies AKs off their hands if they were allowed.

Certainly they would, but that doesn’t mean they would want to use them in place of their rifle. That’s what got the AK guys dead. :popcorn:

• Administrator

I came really close to getting a Russian model today. Just couldn't bring myself to "pull the trigger" if you will pardon the pun. I may end up with one soon but right now I'm still clearly on the fence about it.

Can a man really serve two masters? AR15 and an AK47 in the same house?? :doh:

I came really close to getting a Russian model today. Just couldn't bring myself to "pull the trigger" if you will pardon the pun. I may end up with one soon but right now I'm still clearly on the fence about it.

Can a man really serve two masters? AR15 and an AK47 in the same house?? :doh:

Converted Saiga or otherwise?

Guest VolDaddy

The Arsenal are great guns I have several. Spikes tactical makes a nice looking Arsenal SBR. Or Go the Centuary rms Galil (Goloni) route(milled reciever). They seem to have the bugs worked out now I love mine and with the magwell adaptor it looks wicked with the Beta Mag under it. And I get to shoot all of my AR mags in it. Gonna send it off and get it rethreaded for my AWC Raider. Thats it only drawback for me it threaded M13.