Temporary Handgun Storage - Money Maker?

Guest hickok

Guest hickok

Just thinking out loud, but . . . .

For those of us who work in "Gun Free Zones," it would certainly be nice if there were some way to drop off a handgun near where we work and then pick it up at the end of the day.

I drive 80 miles a day round trip and stop early in the dark hours of the morning to get cash, shop, gas up, etc. And even though I'm fairly proficient with a handgun, I'm totally unarmed because of the law and where I work.

I suppose there might be legal issues restricting this type of service, but if nothing else, it seems that local police precincts could install some lock boxes and make a little money by providing this needed service.

Yep, I work at a school.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw this post on another forum. I believe that it was from the NRA. It would stop employers from restricting employees from carrying a gun with them to and from work by restricting guns on their property. Guns would have to remain locked in the car while working. I don't think this would clear you to carry on school property.

====================================================

Major Victory for American Workers' Right to Self-Defense

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Fairfax, Va. – Today, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled unanimously in support of allowing employees to store legally owned firearms in locked, private motor vehicles while parked in employer parking lots. This decision upholds NRA-backed legislation passed in 2004.

“This is a victory for the millions of American workers who have been denied the right to protect themselves while commuting between their homes and their workplace,” said NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre. “This effort was aimed at skirting the will of the American people, and the intent of legislatures across this country while eviscerating Right-to-Carry laws. This ruling is a slap at the corporate elitists who have no regard for the constitutional rights of law abiding American workers.”

In March 2004, the Oklahoma legislature passed an amendment holding employers criminally liable for prohibiting employees from storing firearms in locked vehicles on company property. A number of corporations subsequently filed suit in opposition to the new laws, alleging they were: unconstitutionally vague; an unconstitutional taking of private property; and preempted by various federal statutes. The lower court ruled in favor of the injunction.

“This issue was contrived by the gun control lobby who goaded corporations into doing their dirty work for them,” said Chris W. Cox, NRA chief lobbyist. “However, this ruling is a vindication for every hardworking and lawful man and woman whose basic right to self-defense was taken away on a whim by corporate lawyers. NRA is prepared to defend this right and to ensure the safety of every American worker.”

In October 2008, Oklahoma Gov. Brad Henry and Attorney General Drew Edmondson appealed to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals the lower court decision to strike down the NRA-backed worker protection laws. Today’s proceedings handed down by Circuit Judges Paul J. Kelly, Bobby R. Baldock, and Michael W. McConnell reversed the lower court’s grant of a permanent injunction.

Edited by Volzfan
Guest kingtone

IS there a police station nearby your school? Perhaps you could talk to someone there about checking in your gun in the morning and picking it up at night...

If you had a friend on the force would help

Can't you lock it in your car? or would that get you fired?

39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property. —

© (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

Guest Rem_700

I work at a school also and would love to be able to carry at work.I often think about how helpless I would be,if a student or a angry parent came in with a gun,shooting the place up.It would be a plus one for saftey if the employees were allowed to carry on school property,if they had their permit of course.Because god knows that the criminals aren't going to leave their guns at home.

Guest Tn.Mitch

I thought most High Schools had at least 1 LEO on Duty durinng school hours everday for the past 10 years or so.and the kids had to walk through metal detectors,when they entered the school doors,....guess ive been watching to many movies about out in L.A. Cal. :wave:

Guest bkelm18
I thought most High Schools had at least 1 LEO on Duty durinng school hours everday for the past 10 years or so.and the kids had to walk through metal detectors,when they entered the school doors,....guess ive been watching to many movies about out in L.A. Cal. :wave:

Yes, yes you have. Haha. Most schools do have a resource officer but I haven't seen many that actually have metal detectors.

Guest DylisTN

Should pay for school employees to get their permit. Buy their ammo to practice with. Our laws now, work against the safety of children.

Guest kingtone
Can't you lock it in your car? or would that get you fired?

39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property. —

© (1)... It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

well.. i would have thought Supermans post would have cleared this up...

doesnt this answer the question?

Guest JeepMonkey

The stated T.C.A. does not prohibit school districts and city/county ordinances from prohibiting such. NC has a similar law but my school system prohibited teachers from keeping any firearm, loaded or unloaded, in their car on campus. If caught, they would lose their job, but there is no legal action that could be taken unless the city or county the campus is in has an ordinance prohibiting such.
Guest hickok

This does seem pretty clear to me; however, attorneys disagree on this one. My own attorney says he thinks it's "defensible," but in a conversation with John Harris at a gun show, he seems to think you would end up being arrested and have to defend yourself in court. I don't want to speak for him, but I believe that was the gist of the conversation.

Apparently, regardless of individual school policy, it's not clearly legal to leave one locked up in a car. I'm too old to spend time in jail.

Hickok

Guest GhostHunter

We need to contact our Legislators and encourage them to support this bill. The House companion bill is HB1395, sponsored by Evans.

SB1607

SENATE BILL 1607

By Beavers

AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39,Chapter 17, Part 13, relative to the transportation and storage of firearms.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13, is amended by

adding the following language as a new section:

§ 39-17-1363.

(a)

(1) Notwithstanding § 39-17-1359 or any other law to the contrary, no individual, property owner, tenant, employer, corporation or business entity may prohibit any person possessing a valid handgun carry permit pursuant to § 39-17-1351 from transporting and storing a handgun in such person's vehicle when

such vehicle is parked on property set aside for vehicle parking.

(2) This subsection (a) shall only apply if the handgun is stored in the vehicle in a place not visible from outside the vehicle and only if the vehicle is locked.

(:) Nothing contained in this section shall be construed to alter, reduce or eliminate the ability of a local, state or federal governmental entity or agent thereof to

prohibit the possession of weapons in accordance with § 39-17-1359.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2009, the public welfare requiring it.

I drive 90 miles round trip to work, and have to drive through some rough sections of Nashville to get work and back. The company I work for has a provision in the company policy that prohibits firearms on company property, including in our vehicles parked on company property.

Even though it is against company policy, at this point I could care less, as I value my safety and welfare a lot more more than a job. As far as I'm concerned, the worst they can do is fire me!

We need to support this legislation!!

Guest Fenris

I work at a private school. Our dean of students is a fellow HCP holder and according to him, he reads that law that if you leave it locked in your car and don't even think about touching it, you're OK.

Of course, trusting the security of your parking lot is a whole 'nother issue.

I think the confusion is that there are two issues being discussed in this thread.

1. Would it be LEGAL to have your firearm locked in your vehicle at work. Regardless of if you work at a school, courthouse, factory, ect. As I understand the law, this answer is YES.

2. If the business, school system, whomever, has a policy against having the firearm on their property could you lose your job. From what I understand this answer could also be YES.

The law may allow for you to have the weapon locked in your car, but that doesn't keep the company from firing you for violating their "Policy".

I think the confusion is that there are two issues being discussed in this thread.

1. Would it be LEGAL to have your firearm locked in your vehicle at work. Regardless of if you work at a school, courthouse, factory, ect. As I understand the law, this answer is YES.

2. If the business, school system, whomever, has a policy against having the firearm on their property could you lose your job. From what I understand this answer could also be YES.

The law may allow for you to have the weapon locked in your car, but that doesn't keep the company from firing you for violating their "Policy".

Actually on 1, an employer can post their entire property (including the parking lot) with a 39-17-1359 sign and make it illegal to even have your weapon locked up in your own car.

The bill GhostHuneter posted would eliminate that.

I don't think the bill could help much with 2

A bill that might help the OP more is HB0798/SB1261 As introduced, authorizes full-time faculty and staff at public schools, colleges, and universities in Tennessee to carry handguns if not otherwise prohibited by law.

Guest ALPAdude

Why couldn't you just unload the gun before reaching the parking lot, lock it in a case, put the case in the trunk, and lockup the magazines in the glove compartment (seperate from the gun)? This way, you have "no intent to go armed." I know you would still be possessing a firearm on posted property, but given the exception in 39-17-1309, I think you would have a good defense.

Then, just re-arm yourself after leaving the parking lot on the way home.

Your car would have to be stolen, seriously wrecked or searched in the parking lot before anyone would find it. Even then, it would be unaccessable in a locked case.

Edited by ALPAdude

So where can I pick up a used Brinks truck?

An armored truck & a schedule to meet folks before & after work, for a modest fee of course, just may be the answer!

Maybe a roach-coach with p.o. box type storage lockers down one side ... Grab a cup of coffee, a biscuit & drop off your heater in the morning.

:shrug::)

Same here. I work at the Bridgestone/Firestone tire plant in LaVergne, TN. The company has a sign up that says no firearms alowed. I have a HCP. And a lot of the people I know that works there has a HCP. I dirve 84 miles round trip on the days I work. Get up at 3:30 AM, leave Castalian Springs at 4:00AM, stop at Dailys, then head to work. I feel naked with out my Ruger P90 with me. We need to get the law changed here in Tenn. gearyr

I work in the healthcare field, and I am in and out of hospitals all across middle TN. I know some hospitals have posted parking lots/garages, and others don't. What is your opinion on carrying to the hospital and keeping the gun in the car when I go in for work? Has there been any precedent for this?

I work in the healthcare field, and I am in and out of hospitals all across middle TN. I know some hospitals have posted parking lots/garages, and others don't. What is your opinion on carrying to the hospital and keeping the gun in the car when I go in for work? Has there been any precedent for this?

It is fairly simple...if they have the posting in the parking lot are legal per 39-17-1359, then you are breaking the law even if you leave your weapon in the car. If they do not have a legal posting, then you are only breaking their policy the results of which you would know better than us.

What you choose to do is up to you.

I am not directly familiar with any cases dealing with a handgun left in a vehicle in a posted parking lot, but not saying there aren't any.

Senate Bill 1607 answers all our work issues.

no individual, property owner, tenant, employer, corporation or business entity may prohibit any person possessing a valid handgun carry permit from transporting and storing a handgun in such person's vehicle when

such vehicle is parked on property set aside for vehicle parking if the handgun is stored in the vehicle in a place not visible from outside the vehicle and only if the vehicle is locked.

Call or email your rep n show ur support for this one also!