First Handgun : Glock 23

Guest pl1ght

Picked up my first

Had been kicking around the XD 45 and a Glock 23 and went to Guns For America (Awesome guys btw) yesterday and back today and finally pulled the trigger(figuratively) on the Glock 23. Just really felt good in my hands. If the XD 45 had been 50 bucks less i would have bought that instead, really was a close choice between the two. Cant wait to shoot her this weekend.

Anyone have any must buys or CCW holster recommendations for the g23?

10.jpg

Edited by pl1ght
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abailey362

congrats. i personally woulda went with the xd, but that's because they point more naturally for me than glocks.

check out wally world for blazer brass. at 12.47/50 it's the cheapest thing around and shoots pretty clean and consistent

I would say check out the MTAC holster. If you want to meet up somewhere to see one, I have one for my 23, and you can try it out before buying on if you want. PM me if interested.

Congrats. I understand the dilemma between the two. I own a G23 and an XD45 and love both of them.

I've been using the OWB holster that comes with the XD, and I just got a Desantis Tuck This II IWB holster.

• Administrator

Congrats; you chose a very good gun. You asked about CCW holsters and I am on record here as strongly advocating the Comp-Tac MTAC (Minotaur) kydex-leather hybrid holsters. They are top quality and, perhaps just as importantly, they ship lighting fast so you'll have your gear in a miniscule fraction of the time that it takes to get a top quality full-leather carry rig.

www.comp-tac.com

I'm carrying my Glock 19 (your 23's 9mm cousin) in my MTAC right now as I sit here typing this on my laptop in the neighborhood Starbucks. None of the liberal hand wringers have a clue. :P

I've had my Glock 23 for a few weeks and have only been able to put about 400 rounds through it. I love it.

Just got a Crossbreed Supertuck Holster yesterday. I'll post something after a few weeks of wearing it.

• Administrator
I've had my Glock 23 for a few weeks and have only been able to put about 400 rounds through it. I love it.

Just got a Crossbreed Supertuck Holster yesterday. I'll post something after a few weeks of wearing it.

You know, I sort of feel bad every time I post this about Cross-Breed holsters since the guy strongly advertises himself as being a Christian-owned small business and that automatically makes you want to be on the guy's side and all that...

But Cross-Breed holsters just strike me as being substandard in appearance and construction quality. Granted, looks don't mean everything but when I spend money on a holster, I want it to look like a professionally produced piece of kit. I don't want it to look like some guy molded a piece of kydex over a tree stump using a hair dryer, and I want the leather to look nice and sturdy.

I know plenty of people who have them and who swear by them. BNagashima even has one that he re-molded for another handgun and he loves it. But seriously, the holster had so much kydex material that he was able to heat it up himself and RE-MOLD it from something for one handgun to something for another handgun entirely. :P

Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong. Maybe that's a good thing since you get maximum return on your investment when you can take a Keltec P3AT holster and remold it to hold your Desert Eagle .50 Cal. ;)

(slight exaggeration there)

Anyway, just my completely inconsequential thoughts on that matter and meant in no way as a slam on anyone who owns a Cross-Breed holster since you guys are clearly laughing all the way to the bank while I have to order new kydex shells for my MTAC holsters from time to time. :bs:

Guest Scarecrow

Congrats on the gun, I KNEW you were going to get it, since I was there when you bought it lol. I saw the struggle in your eyes lol. :mad:

Now let's get to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through it. :dropjaw:

Guest glocKen

Congrats on the purchase. I have a G22, but I'd love to add the 23 to the mix. Also, I'll second abailey362 on the Blazer Brass. Good, clean ammo. My G22 loves it, but my neighborhood WallyWorld has been out of it for a couple weeks now. I picked up the last box of Rem UMC 180gr JHPs today -- $32 for 100. The G22 loves these too.

Guest Tn.Mitch

A holster wont be a problem to find for a glock,I was a rookie a few months ago,and didnt know,when I bought my first gun a Glock 27 sub-compact 40 cal.like your G 23 for my EDC,That you can buy everything but a kitchen sink for a glock.There are whole sites with nothing but stuff to hang on your glock.Its a very popplar gun with most,or some people anyway,congratts on your gun, and enjoy it,,,,,and dont shoot yer eye out ...Ralphey :woohoo:

Guest hickok

The most important "must buy" I can think of is AMMO by the truckload, because the more you shoot this gun the more you'll want to shoot it.

Even though I'm especially fond of the G27/G26, there are very few guns on the planet that feel or shoot better than the G23/G19.

Enjoy the heck out of it! You made a great choice.

But Cross-Breed holsters just strike me as being substandard in appearance and construction quality.

Don't knock it till you try it.

I know plenty of people who have them and who swear by them. BNagashima even has one that he re-molded for another handgun and he loves it. But seriously, the holster had so much kydex material that he was able to heat it up himself and RE-MOLD it from something for one handgun to something for another handgun entirely. :wave:

I don't think it was because it had "so much kydex." I could take your G19 MTAC kydex shell and reform it into a shell for your J frame S&W if you want. LOL. Just lt me know. I'll bring my hairdryer and stump.

Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong. Maybe that's a good thing since you get maximum return on your investment when you can take a Keltec P3AT holster and remold it to hold your Desert Eagle .50 Cal. :D

(slight exaggeration there)

Yep, I think it only works for going from a big gun to a smaller one. :lol:

Edited by Shima