700 SPS or Savage 10fp?

Guest justme

Looking at purchasing a long gun. Need opinions.

Looking at 3 rifles.

First rifle is the Remington 700SPS in .300

Second rifle is the Remington 700 XCR Tactical.

Third rifle is the Savage 10fp in .308

I would appreciate opinions about the rifles and what a preferable barrel length would be.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PerazziTM1

As noted the Savage is a great bang for buck. The Remmys will have better value on the used market later in my opinion, and the 700 action is a great one with many after market triggers available if you want to upgrade.

Barrel length, its a trade off, the more length you have the better velocity you can get. Down side it heavier and doesn't maneuver as well.

Good Luck,

Wally

• 1 month later...
Guest 70below

A buddy of mine bought a 10FP, I've shot it a couple times and like it alot. It was a toss up for me for awhile. I really like the feel of the SPS with the hogue stock, but the barrel is a little short for me and the distances I hope to shoot. If you're going to be shooting 300yds or less.....I don't think the barrel length is a factor. If you hope to shoot long distance eventually, go with the xcr or FP. After shooting the 10FP, I'd probably opt for it as a distance gun, or the SPS for a 300yd gun.

Guest Brian@GunDepot

FYI....

Remington has a $50 rebate on the 700 SPS and VTR rifles til end of April.... makes a VTR or SPS V a nice price.

Guest gvnwst

Me personally, I would want the Savage in .308. Savages to me are the best bang for your buck in a hunting rifle out there.

Big one plus, while savages are lacking in stocks, they are really accurate and the accurtiggers are great.

Guest gvnwst

The sharpshootersupply stocks are really nice, i can say that. I am also working on designing a custom stock, it is really fun!:D

Guest Traumaslave
Big one plus, while savages are lacking in stocks, they are really accurate and the accurtiggers are great.

The 10FCP HS PRECISION covers the stock issue if your not satisfied with the dual pillar bedding.