Change to permit process

I looked, I searched, and I didn't see this anywhere else, so..

If it's been covered, please feel free to smack as needed!

But... It seems there's been a change to the process for the paperwork end of things.

I took my HCP class this past Saturday with the fine folks of On Target Training Center (everywhere else was booked solid for months, but they were able to squeeze me in the same week I first called!), so today I ventured out to EastTowne, er, um, Knoxville Center Mall to get my HCP form at the County Offices out there. When I stepped up to the window and asked, I was informed that the state had pulled all the forms from the county offices about 3 weeks ago and that I'd have to go to the Dept. of Safety to get 'em.

Ok, no biggie, Strawberry Plains is just a hop and skip from there, so I scooted on over. And was thwarted again. Now, it seems, you do NOT get to remove the application form from the building.. You need to bring all your paperwork (birth cert, etc and the class completion cert), and then they'll hand you a form to fill out while you're there.

The state website has NOT been updated to reflect this change up, and I don't know if it's just here in Knox county or if it's everywhere. Nor do I understand why they'd change things. (Are they concerned about someone counterfieting the application? Or is this one of those things to make it just that little bit harder to do?)

Anyway, thought I'd share with everyone.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the way they told you at Straw Plains was the way I recall my HCP instructor explaining how it was done.

I had everything I needed when I went there and followed their verbal instructions.

I was very unaware you could go to the mall for your HCP. My class was told that Straw Plains was the place to go.

AFAIK that is always the way it has been.

The DOS are the only ones with the applications and they are filed out as you are applying, therefore needing all the required paperwork.

I know some DL services can be done at county offices, but don't think any with a HCP can be.

Edited by Fallguy
AFAIK that is always the way it has been.

The DOS are the only ones with the applications and they are filed out as you are applying, therefore needing all the required paperwork.

I know some DL services can be done at county offices, but don't think any with a HCP can be.

Well..

At http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/generalinfo.htm (as of 6:26 on 2/24/2009..) it indicates that you can pick up the application at ANY DL station, but that you have to submit the completed forms at the full service locations:

Applications for a new handgun carry permit may be picked up at any Driver License Center location.

Applications for a new handgun carry permit can be processed at any full service Driver License Center location.

As far as why I'd want to go there to get the form: I was already there to renew registration on one of my vehicles.

And for the "why I'd want to take it home": Where would you like to spend the time filling out the form? Quiet at home in your own comfy chair, or in their lobby with a couple of kids screaming their heads off and sitting in one of those chairs that were rejected for use at Gitmo for being "too cruel"?

Edited by Machman
Well..

At http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/generalinfo.htm (as of 6:26 on 2/24/2009..) it indicates that you can pick up the application at ANY DL station, but that you have to submit the completed forms at the full service locations:...

You're right.

TNDOS site info is wrong.

Or TN DL Station's info is wrong.

SNAFU is normal state operating procedure.

No surprises here.

- OS

Well..

At http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/generalinfo.htm (as of 6:26 on 2/24/2009..) it indicates that you can pick up the application at ANY DL station, but that you have to submit the completed forms at the full service locations:

Applications for a new handgun carry permit may be picked up at any Driver License Center location.

Applications for a new handgun carry permit can be processed at any full service Driver License Center location.

As far as why I'd want to go there to get the form: I was already there to renew registration on one of my vehicles.

And for the "why I'd want to take it home": Where would you like to spend the time filling out the form? Quiet at home in your own comfy chair, or in their lobby with a couple of kids screaming their heads off and sitting in one of those chairs that were rejected for use at Gitmo for being "too cruel"?

Not the first time the DOS website and the personnel at a DOS office have said different things.

To be honest it has been so long since I got mine, it was when the DOS still came to every county in the state at least twice a month.

...oh and I agree filing out at home would be easier....but the state has never really been concerned about what is easier...lol :P

Hope you can get the ball rolling soon!!

Not the first time the DOS website and the personnel at a DOS office have said different things.

To be honest it has been so long since I got mine, it was when the DOS still came to every county in the state at least twice a month.

...oh and I agree filing out at home would be easier....but the state has never really been concerned about what is easier...lol :D

Hope you can get the ball rolling soon!!

Yeah.. I figure they'll get the website updated in another decade or two.. :P

Just thought I'd share with the rest of the class, in case anyone else thought they'd get to "kill two birds with one stone", so to speak.

I'll grab my packet o' papers and cash and head over to DOS again Thurs probably.

I was actually at the Driver Service Center in Williamson County today to fill out my paperwork, and a gentleman walked in and asked for two HCP forms, was handed two forms, and walked out of the center with two forms.

Well actually at one time I think you could download it of their website or at least look at it, but not now.

Well, it's curious you mention that, since my first thought when looking at the web site was along the lines of "If I can pick one up and take it home, why can't I just download the thing?"

Seems like it would save the state some money on printing and handling of forms.. Which probably explains why they're not doing it. :)

Well, it's curious you mention that, since my first thought when looking at the web site was along the lines of "If I can pick one up and take it home, why can't I just download the thing?"

Seems like it would save the state some money on printing and handling of forms.. Which probably explains why they're not doing it. :)

Now you're getting it....:)

Guest HexHead
Well actually at one time I think you could download it of their website or at least look at it, but not now.

As recently as a year ago you could download it. I did when I sent my renewal in about a week before they mailed me the renewal notice.

When I applied for my HCP, that's what I did, downloaded the form and filled it out, but when I went to apply they said I had to fill out a new form there in the office and that the downloaded form was no good.

i went to knox center mall to get my papers in dec of last year, they told me they did not do carry permits there because they were a "county office" and would have to go to "State office". BTW, when the website or any other form of information says bring a "COPY" of your birth certificate, you cannot take a "COPY" it must be an original or original produced by health department. geezzz

Website says "no photocopies": http://state.tn.us/safety/driverlicense/dlcitizen.htm

I could only get "Certified Copies" issued by the state where I was born, and they took that w/o a problem.

I was able to do the form and the fingerprinting earlier today, so now it's the 30 day wait and then call to check status.. :P

The form was quick and easy, but then I've not changed address in the last 5 years. If you have, you'll need to write all your addresses for that time frame on the thing, so be prepared. Total time in DOS office was about 10 mins.

Fingerprinting was a no-appointment-needed job at the Knox county offices on Central. Note: They take lunch from 12:00 to 12:30, and won't let you sign in after 3:00. Fingerprints took maybe 5 mins.

Edited by Machman
Guest abailey362

my instructor gave me the form (last summer) and i filled it out at home before going in. fingerprints were at ups and took all of 2 minutes. good luck with the wait