Bolt action choices

Guest Astra900

Guest Astra900

I am thinking about investing in a new bolt action rifle. I would like have something a little less on the shoulder and ears than my current .308. I have been weighing the possibility of a .223 but I'd rather not. I don't want this thread to turn into a pissing contest over ballistics, but the .223 is a little anemic for me. This rifle will be mostly for target shooting, hiking/exploring and possibly, but hopefully not, a medium range melon popper should the SHTF.:);)

I prefer controlled round feed, but I don't want another Ruger, I loathe their optic mounting system. What about a 6.8SPC? In a bolt action, I bet it would be both very accurate, and pleasant to shoot. Anyone own a BA 6.8? I have considered a CZ in 7,62x39 but even though it could be handloaded to much more than AK fodder, bullet selection sucks.

Any ideas? Who owns what that they can recommend on experience?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remington 700 in 6mm or 260 Rem would be good, especially if you reload. More punch than a 223 with the option to use light bullets for varmints and heavier bullets for hunting. I have owned several 700's in 6mm and I like it better than the 243 as I reload and it has slightly more case capacity and a longer neck. The 260 I have never owned but have read nothing but good about it.

As to rifles, I have never found a more accurate rifle "out of the box" than a 700 Remington IMHO.

The 260 is one helluva round. I know many a guy that are turning to it for sniper competitions, when they can. Less recoil, and flatter trajectory..it's a win win. Haven't played with the 6.8 in a bolt acttion yet. Interesting concept, just have too many other projects in the works.

Out of curiosity Astra, why don't you like the Ruger mounting system. I know it's no Badger Ordinance mount, but it has served me well on several rifles. Not looking for a fight, honestly just curious?

Guest Traumaslave

I have to put in a vote for getting a Savage bolt action. IMHO, they are just as accurate as Rems out of the box and cheaper.

As far as the 6.8 is concerned, my crysal ball tells me that it will be short lived.

Guest Astra900

Out of curiosity Astra, why don't you like the Ruger mounting system. I know it's no Badger Ordinance mount, but it has served me well on several rifles. Not looking for a fight, honestly just curious?

Well, there's nothing really wrong with Ruger's system, it's just that you HAVE to put the rings in THAT spot, no exceptions. With a Pic rail, you atleast have more options. Also, the only rings you can use are those kind of rings. I have a Ruger .308 and it's a tack driver, but it's a their way or the highway kinda thing with scope mounting

What kind of .308 do you have?

M77 MkII Stainless Steel heavy barrel, target trigger set at 2lbs, Leupold 3-9x50. Using a 175g FMJBT match over 40g of AA 2520 I can keep them inside a half dollar @ 100 yards.

Guest Astra900
I have to put in a vote for getting a Savage bolt action. IMHO, they are just as accurate as Rems out of the box and cheaper.

As far as the 6.8 is concerned, my crysal ball tells me that it will be short lived.

Yeah that's why I am reluctant to get into it. If our military would adopt it that would be awesome. Then it would be a sure thing.

Guest Astra900

I was looking at a CZ on gunbroker chambered for 6.5 Grendel. That is a pretty impressive little cartridge. Same problem as 6.8, it won't last long.

I studied my AA manual and the 260 is impressive. I think it's going to be a toss up between the .260 and .243. I'm leaning to the .243 for it's wide availability.

My wife had a savage 110 in .243 a few years ago. A real tack driver. We sold it:doh:

It's harder to find what I'm looking for than I thought. Blued or parkerized, walnut stock without checkering. Funds are low, so I'm still just looking. Any suggestions are still welcome. I'm probably going to be selling a few things in the classifieds soon to pay for a new toy.:(

After reading about the 260 in one of the latest gun rags I would have to back up and recommend a 243. I did not see that big of advantage for the 260 for this neck of the woods but I saw several disadvantages. The number one being ammo cost and availability. 243 is everywhere and can be had in many factory configurations. The other thing that caught my eye was you wanted a matte finish and plain walnut stock. That just screams Savage package gun which should be one of the most accurate but lowest priced guns out there and now comes with the excellent Accutrigger. One other gun that I have seen going really cheap at the shows are the newer plain model 70 Winchesters in synthetic.