Non-Resident permits

Guest Beer_Snob

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JeepMonkey

Maine, New Hampshire, and I just sent the application in for North Dakota. I had to get permits from those states since I am 19 and they issue starting at 18. The ND was the easiest; $25 for the application, $25 for the test, and about a 30-day wait.

Maine, New Hampshire, and I just sent the application in for North Dakota. I had to get permits from those states since I am 19 and they issue starting at 18. The ND was the easiest; $25 for the application, $25 for the test, and about a 30-day wait.

Why do you want those? Do they somehow get you around the Tennessee 21 year old requirement to carry?

Why do you want those? Do they somehow get you around the Tennessee 21 year old requirement to carry?

That was discussed in another thread. It seemed like most agree that someone under 21 can carry in TN as long as they have a valid permit from another state. TN Law simply says they will honor all facially valid out of state permits. It doesn't put an age restriction on that recognition.

Guess it is like some of the states that only issue CC permits to those 21 or over, but allow OC by those 18 or older...

LOL...did you at least use your time off to brush up on a few things? :rolleyes:

No, that would imply an attempt at self improvement.

I mainly just sat around in sack cloth, covered in ashes, mumbling, watching the movie "HEAT" over and over while eating cheetos. So you can see it really wasn't like I wasted my time. :koolaid:

If you travel to Massachusetts or Connecticut, you must have a non resident license to carry there, especially MA to even possess a handgun. Both states you can do through the mail. It is for some to get a non resident MA license than for residents of some towns to get one from their police chief.....MA non resident licenses are from their state police. Maryland requires a non resident, but good luck getting that one, unless you have a business. I've heard Iowa has them, but it may be difficult too.

Guest bkelm18

I have a resident permit from VA. I wont switch it over to a non-resident once it expires since I really gain nothing by having it. Plus you can OC there anyway without a permit.

That was discussed in another thread. It seemed like most agree that someone under 21 can carry in TN as long as they have a valid permit from another state. TN Law simply says they will honor all facially valid out of state permits. It doesn't put an age restriction on that recognition.

Guess it is like some of the states that only issue CC permits to those 21 or over, but allow OC by those 18 or older...

So…. You guys are thinking that if a Tennessee cop finds a gun on a traffic stop of a Tennessee resident and is going to make an arrest of a weapons charge; a Non-resident permit from another state is going to make things right??

I hope that works out, but if it was my son I would suggest he keeps bond money on him. :P

So…. You guys are thinking that if a Tennessee cop finds a gun on a traffic stop of a Tennessee resident and is going to make an arrest of a weapons charge; a Non-resident permit from another state is going to make things right??

I hope that works out, but if it was my son I would suggest he keeps bond money on him. :P

With the cop on the street? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on how he may interpret the law or if he even tries to.

With the judge? I'd say there is a better chance than with the LEO.

I would definitely like to see a AG opinion on this to be honest.

I really wouldn’t care what the AG had to say, I would like to see a Judges opinion on this. (Case law)

The intent of the law is clear. So you would be arguing a technicality or the letter of the law. Those things usually don’t have a chance when the intent of the Tennessee legislature is as clear as it would be in this case.

However…. You never know.

I’d still have bond money with me if I was going to try it though. :)

I know that an AG opinion is not that same as a Judge's ruling, but it is a place to start. If the AG felt it was legal, then chances are that his office would not prosecute even if an arrest was made.

It depends on which part of the law you are talking about on whether just how clear it is. In one part it is clear that TN intends to only issue permits to those 21 and over, but in another part it seems clear that TN intends to honor any other states' permit so long as that permit was issued according to that states' laws/regulations regardless of age or other criteria. The part of the law that says TN will recognize other states permits does go so far as to say that TN will honor it only for the carry of a handgun, not any other weapon that the permit may allow. So, they did put restrictions on it, but age was not one of those restrictions.

But...cosidering you once worked as a LEO and based on your attitude and interpretation of it...then yes, keeping bail money at hand may be warranted.

Guest JeepMonkey

I hope that works out, but if it was my son I would suggest he keeps bond money on him. :)

With the exception of the one time I encountered the rookie with no sense of the laws here, I have never had any LEO in TN or NC make a mention of it, even when I OC (in NC you can OC without a permit, which is what I did before I got my permits). It's one of those things that I watch for, and is the reason I am up front with the fact that I have a CCP and am or am not carrying to any LEO that stops me. The less he is surprised the easier it is for me. As for the age restrictions, the only TCA mentioning 21 as a minimum age is concerning applying for a TN HCP. Nowhere else is age 21 mentioned in a gun-related TCA.

If you are a non resident, you can have a permit from any state and carry in TN, whether you are 18 or 48. Now the key is once you become a resident, which usually means you get a TN DL, you have six months to get a TN handgun carry permit to legally carry in TN. I could carry up to six months on my AR concealed handgun license after getting a TN DL, until it was no longer good in TN.

Our poster who is 19 or 20 seems to be legal if he is not a resident of TN. Hopefully he does not have a TN DL and has kept his NC DL. It is better to pay out of state tuition for a couple years THEN get residency for in state tuition when you are 21.

Guest JeepMonkey
If you are a non resident, you can have a permit from any state and carry in TN, whether you are 18 or 48. Now the key is once you become a resident, which usually means you get a TN DL, you have six months to get a TN handgun carry permit to legally carry in TN. I could carry up to six months on my AR concealed handgun license after getting a TN DL, until it was no longer good in TN.

Our poster who is 19 or 20 seems to be legal if he is not a resident of TN. Hopefully he does not have a TN DL and has kept his NC DL. It is better to pay out of state tuition for a couple years THEN get residency for in state tuition when you are 21.

You're right. I'm still on my parent's health insurance, so I have to be a resident in NC, otherwise I get the boot from their coverage. Once I commission with the AF I will switch my residency to Tennessee, but by then I will have a NC CCP and will be 22 or 23...depending on how long this bloody logistics degree takes me.

Also, I believe that the 6-month law applies to getting a HCP after having a CCP from the state you previously lived in. I don't think it applies to any non-resident permits you might have. I might be wrong, but that's just how I interpreted the TCA's when I read them.

Edited by JeepMonkey