Kids and death

Guest Fenris

OK, I'm a first time dad. My daughter is 3.5 and pretty savvy for her age.

I'm wondering at what age you guys introduced your kids to hunting, and had conversations about death.

She talks a lot about going hunting with me. This evening I brought home a rabbit and a squirrel. My wife usually wants me to keep that stuff from her, but tonight I showed the animals and we had a talk about it. I told her that these were *not* the same bunnies as the ones in her story books. These were not pets, but were wild animals. She asked about their "boo-boos" and I assured her they were not hurting or sleeping.

I also told her that God gives us some animals to take care of (like our cats) and some to eat. We should be thankful for what we kill. I let her touch the fur. I did not let her watch me clean them, but I did show her the skinned animals as I washed and picked fur.

I would rather her be upset at seeing a dead rabbit on our doorstep that get upset by watching me shoot a rabbit. If she can't handle the carcass, she can't handle the killing. I also don't want to shelter her.

Is 3.5 too young? She didn't seem upset. She asked good questions that I answered honestly.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest frankcostanza

Sounds like you did good. I have a 3 month old daughter, and I've been wondering myself about what to say to her about all this when the time comes.

I don't have kids, but it sounds like you explained things in an honest way that she could relate to.

I also told her that God gives us some animals to take care of (like our cats) and some to eat. We should be thankful for what we kill.

Ya done good with this part, IMO. :)

I agree with everyone so far....you did a good job! :)

My dad never sheltered me from even the gutting/skinning of the animals. He explained to me from a very young age exactly what you told your daughter about God giving us some animals for food and that we should be thankful. I started hunting squirrels with my dad when I was 4 with a scoped .22. I've hunted all my life and I'm also a huge animal lover and usually cry if I hit a squirrel or even a bird with my car. Don't worry, what you're doing is good and it won't do your little girl any damage. She'll grow up understanding about the natural process of hunting for food.

I think every child is different and age isn't so much a factor as when they are ready. My now 4 yr. old began asking questions when she was 3 about hunting and why do I have "those". I told her in an age appropriate way about loving my family and wanting to protect her from some people who may not be nice people. I told her, much like you did, that God gave us the animals to take care of and for food. I also try to instill in her TV and movies are pretend and in real life things are different. For instance, Raccoons aren't going to stand on their hind legs and clap for her if they get cornered while she's trying to pet them.:) I try to be as honest as she can understand and not tell "lies" to protect her. In the end those "lies" will cause more harm than they prevent IMO.

Guest mustangdave

My kids are all grown adults...my guns and ammo education came in the military...my ex-wife forebid weapons of any kind in the house...until we had a break in, in the middle of the night. With the exception of my oldest boy, my kids would probably have a friggin cow if they knew I was fully armed.

Well, I gotta tell you, I was pretty proud last night when she was holding a piece of fried rabbit like a turkey leg at the county fair. She told me "when I get bigger, I'm going to shoot a rabbit and a squirrel just like you."

She can tear up some squirrel legs, too.

You did great! The biggest thing with children that age is resisting the urge to minimize the finality of death. Our natural instinct is often to try to soften the blow by saying things like "the bunny has gone to sleep for a really long time." This leads to the notion that death is not permanent, which consequently detracts from the value of life. Thus, by teaching your child to understand and respect the nature of death, you are teaching her to respect life, as well. This is a lesson that will stay with her as she grows and matures, and it is something that is lost on far too many people--both children and adults--these days. Kudos to you.

Edited by Seaslug

Good way to approach things even if you don't hunt. They will one day figure out where that the beef, chicken, fish, pork came from. I like the God gave us animals to have has pets and to eat. Can also go further, to watch in wildlife that we don't eat or have as pets.

Good job.

Guest dtandy

I think you did great. Although I don't hunt, my kids have seen various nature shows where animals were eaten (Discovery/National Geo type shows). Plus, they have fished enough to know where the catfish on the dinner plate comes from. My wife and I have taught our young kids (4 and 6) that the idea of good stewardship is what one really needs to practice. Have a use for what you hunt, don't kill animals just for the sake of killing them and, if you do hunt, kill animals humanely. They seem to get it and I think that the broader principles of not being wasteful and of being thankful for the resources that God has provided extend way beyond hunting and will help guide them in other choices they make in life.