HB 0254 - Fingerprint cards a thing of the past?

HB 0254 - Rabbi (not an endorsement of any kind:rolleyes:) has been spear heading an effort to get the stupid fingerprint cards done away with. These are the ones TN currently requires everyone who buys a new gun to have done at the time of sale. What do you think? BTW this is a TN thing not a federal requirement. http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/106/Bill/HB0254.pdf

HOUSE BILL 254

By Casada

AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39,

Chapter 17, Part 13, relative to the purchase and

sale of firearms.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1316, is amended by deleting

subdivision © in its entirety and substituting instead the following:

© Except with respect to transactions between persons licensed as dealers

under 18 U.S.C. § 923, a gun dealer shall comply with the following before a firearm is

delivered to a purchaser:

(1) The purchaser shall present to the dealer current identification

meeting the requirements of subsection (f);

(2) The gun dealer shall complete a firearms transaction record as

required by 18 U.S.C. §§ 921 - 929, and obtain the signature of the purchaser on

the record;

(3) The gun dealer shall request by telephone that the Tennessee bureau

of investigation conduct a criminal history record check on the purchaser and

shall provide the following information to the bureau:

(A) The federal firearms license number of the gun dealer;

(:D The business name of the gun dealer;

© The place of transfer;

(D) The name of the person making the transfer;

(E) The make, model, caliber and manufacturer's number of the firearm

being transferred;

- 2 - 00198071

(F) The name, gender, race, and date of birth of the purchaser;

(G) The social security number of the purchaser, if one has been

assigned; and

(H) The type, issuer and identification number of the identification

presented by the purchaser; and

(4) The gun dealer shall receive a unique approval number for the transfer from

the bureau and record the approval number on the firearms transaction record.

SECTION 2. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1316, is amended by deleting

subsection (l) in its entirety and by redesignating accordingly.

SECTION 3. This act shall take effect July 1, 2009, the public welfare requiring it and

shall apply to all firearms transactions occurring on or after such date.

Edited by Smith
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
According to reports, that is why TBI and the legislators backing the bill are for it. I'm sure there will be some ignorant liberal that will say its trying to make it easier for bad guys to get guns though.

I really would like to see any evidence where these cards helped solve a crime. Ever. I doubt any such evidence exists, though.

not taking anything away from the Rabbi, but others including myself have been spearheading this issue as well. I have been in meetings with 6 different members of the legislature about this and others bills this week alone.

Btw, dont be surprised if something isnt added to that bill now or when it reaches the senate. Theres more to this then meets the eye.

not taking anything away from the Rabbi, but others including myself have been spearheading this issue as well. I have been in meetings with 6 different members of the legislature about this and others bills this week alone.

Btw, dont be surprised if something isnt added to that bill now or when it reaches the senate. Theres more to this then meets the eye.

That's good to hear. He was just the only one i knew of meeting with the TBI and legislators. good to see folks working together!:screwy:

I would like to see a law enacted that said if you have a valid HCP, then you don't need the finger print or background check to purchase a gun. I mean, they already have our fingerprints on file with the state from when we got the HCP.

To me, fingerprinting every time you buy a gun is redundant.

...... Theres more to this then meets the eye.

Can you give us a hint.....

On another note, any bills to specifically allow LEO's to carry while eating lunch in a restaurant that serves alcohol??? I ask because a saw two partaking in a meal at Macaroni Grill the other day. I was behing them both (two cruisers) when pulling in to Opry Mills, had lunch, they finished just about the time I did and pulled out as I was. One went North on Briley Pkway, one went South. Didn't appear that they were on any "official" business.......

Guest canynracer

On another note, any bills to specifically allow LEO's to carry while eating lunch in a restaurant that serves alcohol??? I ask because a saw two partaking in a meal at Macaroni Grill the other day. I was behing them both (two cruisers) when pulling in to Opry Mills, had lunch, they finished just about the time I did and pulled out as I was. One went North on Briley Pkway, one went South. Didn't appear that they were on any "official" business.......

We have beat this one up at nauseum...

here are some threads for you to reference.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2514&highlight=LEO+Duty

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16886&highlight=LEO+Duty

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12326&highlight=LEO+Duty

I would like to see a law enacted that said if you have a valid HCP, then you don't need the finger print or background check to purchase a gun. I mean, they already have our fingerprints on file with the state from when we got the HCP.

To me, fingerprinting every time you buy a gun is redundant.

I have actually had customers that had a carry permit in thier wallet get charged, and one last year get convicted of a felony... and they still try and buy a gun...

So not happening....

Can you give us a hint.....

they can eat or enter a place that serves as long as they are considered "on duty" or on call. Its up to the Dept's general orders.

btw... sorry, no hints.

I have actually had customers that had a carry permit in thier wallet get charged, and one last year get convicted of a felony... and they still try and buy a gun...

So not happening....

OK, I see your point, maybe the background check is OK to weed out felons. But if I have an HCP, couldn't they just say "fingerprints on file"?

• 2 months later...
Guest m4coyote

It may go into effect July 1st, but since week before last I did not have to give thumbprints for the purchase of my new G19. The dealer told me it was not required any more.:koolaid:

It may go into effect July 1st, but since week before last I did not have to give thumbprints for the purchase of my new G19. The dealer told me it was not required any more.:)

Yeah. I've bought two guns in the last month or so and haven't had to be marked. That was nice not to have to do anymore. Bunch of BS anyway.