Glock 30 vs. S&W SW1911PD

Guest JeepMonkey

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

two completely different guns but i would probably go with the 1911 as a glock just doesnt fit my hand at all.

also the glock can accept higher capacity mags. 1911 isnt very high capacity.

the 1911 is more expensive but i believe a finer handgun.

both have extensive modifications available to them.

personally id probably go with the 1911 simply because they fit my hand better.

have you held one of these 1911s? the scandium frame is kinda weird, it looks like steel but when you pick it up its amazingly light, just doesnt seem right, but i bet its great for all day carry

I carry a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail .45 that being said depends on what your doing with the gun...if its going to be beaten on daily and be exposed to the elements a lot go with the G30...if its just gonna be in a holster and not banged around or dirtied up go with the 1911 as I find they are easier to shoot and fit my hands better.

I'd go with the 1911.

I tried the Glock 30, did everything I could to really like it, but it never caught on with me. The 1911 was/is so much easier to carry and so much better shooting for me.

What are your requirements for a carry peice?

Do you want to carry the weapon on the first day? If so, go with the G30.

Do you want to fine tune the firearm to suit you and have one of the most accurate firearms possible (possibly taking months)? Go with the 1911.

Both (as I've used both exstensively) are fine firearms. The 1911 is finiky and needs to be "fine tuned", in my experience, to preform at its peak. The G30 is an excellent firearm "out of the box" with no need (except personal preference) to tinker with anything.

The G30 (10+1) has a higher capacity than the 1911 (7+1). The G30 will also accept magazines for the G21 (13 rnds). The G30 is less expensive and lighter than a 1911, but many people don't like how the double stack .45s (or 10mms) feel in their hands. Personally, the 1911 feels too thin to me (I still love them).

Try them both out and get what you like best. No amount of comparing will convince you to carry a gun you don't like.

I do not own a 1911, but have shot several and found them very easy to shoot well. I own a Glock 19 9mm that I use for house, hunting, hiking, fishing self defense. You probably will not have reliability problems with the Glock 30. Glocks are generally good to go out of the box without modifications and will eat just about any ammo.

The thing about the 1911 is you must get used to being able to get the safety off fast before you fire. The Glock is strictly a point and pull the trigger like a revolver. No thinking about a safety when you are scared to death and trying to save your life.

A 1911 is generally easier to conceal than the thick Glock 21 or 30 because it has a single stack magazine VS the double stack of the Glock.

Have you tried out or looked at the Glock 36? If I was interested in a 45 ACP Glock to regularly carry, I'd look at the 36 because it is thinner than the 30.

Good luck and if all else fails and you have the money, buy both the Glock AND the 1911! You can never have too many toys.

Guest JeepMonkey

I really have no preference in whether or not I have to take time to fine-tune it; Dad said I could keep his SP101 until I get the new one and I'll naturally run 50-100 rounds of carry ammo through it at the range before I start carrying it. I've shot a Glock 22 .40S&W and a full-size 1911 and like the way both feel in my hand. The major thing I'm concerned with is reliability and durability. I want something that will last a while and still be able to be taken to the range once a month or so, and I'm not too sure which of those two will be the best choice for that route.

• Administrator
The major thing I'm concerned with is reliability and durability. I want something that will last a while and still be able to be taken to the range once a month or so, and I'm not too sure which of those two will be the best choice for that route.

The 1911 will be a good gun and S&W has a warranty policy that's almost impossible to beat. But I'd probably choose a polymer striker-fired automatic if I was just looking for a "range whore" that I wanted to be able to beat on for years and years to come. That's not saying that the 1911 couldn't hold up to it. It could and probably would. But a Glock, XD or Smith & Wesson M&P would probably be better choices.

You're going to get two dozen different suggestions from people here because everyone's got their own opinion and own preference. Really this decision needs to be yours and needs to be based on some firing time with as many different makes and models as you can put your hands on before you commit to buying one. That way you can choose what feels best and works best for you rather than what some random stranger on the Internet suggested. :whistle:

That said, I'd look at the new Smith & Wesson M&P 45 in the 4-inch mid sized version. Several reputable trainers and gun bloggers have reviewed them recently (Hilton Yam, for starters) and they all had really good things to say about it. One of these is on my short list of firearms to buy in the near future and that's coming from a guy who owns a high-end 1911, has owned a lot of XDs and still owns several Glocks and M&Ps. I'm not much of a brand loyalist and lost my appetite for Kool Aid a long time ago, so anymore I just go for the platforms that give the best performance at the best price. So far the M&P line isn't disappointing me.

• 2 years later...
Guest Torontogunguy

Old thread but my two cents worth, owning and using both.

The G30 is a workhorse. I have run thousands of rounds through it and have never had a misfeed of any kind. Having said that, it is NOT as accurate as the 1911 platform (sorry if I am offending). Took our Glock 30 and Sig 1911 C3 Compact to the range two weeks ago and the Glock, while sufficient for most jobs at hand (it will get the nasty done); I feel that its range is really limited to about 25 yards max. Remember it is TOTALLY reliable though and lighter than your 1911's. It will take a beating and just asks to be cleaned once in a while and have a drop or two of oil put on the rubbing parts.

Shot 25 rounds at about 17 yards and they were all on the paper. But all over the place.

Took out the Sig 1911 C3 compact and ran 25 rounds at the same 17 yards. Thought I had missed the target! Repeatedly! Only when I went up to the paper at 17 yards and looked did I realize that almost all of the rounds were through the X ring, which is black and the background is also black. 25 rounds in a 2" or so group and easier on the hands, faster to return to target and being a Sig, totally reliable.

I am now about to try playing with the SW1911PD at 4.25" to see if it meets the Sig performance. I like Smith and Wesson and after playing with the Sigs have no idea why I am bothering to try the PD but it's the last on my list.

You won't go wrong with either choice to be honest as long as you believe in the 7x7x7 rule. Most gunfights are 7 rounds exhanged in 7 seconds at 7 yards or under. On this basis the Glock is the way to go.

I also use .45ACP self defense rounds in +P loads. I want maximum damage so that the druggies know that they have been hit and start thinking about another line of work in another state.

I am only concerned determining my EDC deeply concealed and I think that both (all) of the guns mentioned fit the bill.

Let us know what you select and how you make out.

I vote the Glock 30. They have full capacity, double stack, magazines and are simpler to use and maintain. The Springfields are worth a look too. I own a couple of Springfields and a couple of Glocks. They are all very reliable pistols. My Colt 1911 is just as reliable, it's easy to carry.... accurate....NICE, but for self defense I would rather have a Glock or Springfield.

Guest FiddleDog

You know, when you check the web for used G30s out there, you see a lot of them. You don't really see many 1911 PD Subcompacts. The 30 feels a bit different in the hand than the 22, or the 19 for that matter. Have you shot a 30 yet?

Aw man. the Zombie card is a nice touch. I'm glad I was able to weigh in over a year after the fact.

Guest Victor9er
You know, when you check the web for used G30s out there, you see a lot of them. You don't really see many 1911 PD Subcompacts. The 30 feels a bit different in the hand than the 22, or the 19 for that matter. Have you shot a 30 yet?

Aw man. the Zombie card is a nice touch. I'm glad I was able to weigh in over a year after the fact.

;)

I have to agree, the Glock 22 is the exact same size as the 17, but the 21 and 30 are not. They are actually wider and will feel a little different so it's important to know how it will feel in your hands. (just FYI for anyone else with the same question as the OP stumbling across this thread.... I'm assuming the OP has resolved their dilemma)

I vote the Glock 30. They have full capacity, double stack, magazines and are simpler to use and maintain. The Springfields are worth a look too. I own a couple of Springfields and a couple of Glocks. They are all very reliable pistols. My Colt 1911 is just as reliable, it's easy to carry.... accurate....NICE, but for self defense I would rather have a Glock or Springfield.

Agreed with everything except a G30sf is much easyier to carry. Not to mention 10+1 for the G30sf gives it the edge.

I meant to say that the 1911 is easier to carry, at least for me. I was very surprised that my Government model 1911 would fit IWB so well. I may even start carrying it some, it's just that I'm used to plastic DAO pistols without external safeties and hammers.

Have you felt up a 30sf?

Yeah, the SF models feel OK in my hand but the slide just seems so thick I can't imagine carrying it IWB like I can my 19. When I looked at an M&P I'm didn't have the same immediate reaction but I'd have to hold them side by side for a fair comparison.

• 5 months later...
Guest ChrisDH

I know this is an old thread but I'll bite... I carry a Glock 30 with a Crimson Trace Laser. It is a tad on the cumbersome side with the laser grip so I'll probably go with a LaserMax setup. But 10+1 rounds of 230grn. flaming lead is pretty reassuring. lol. And it goes bang EVERY time....