XD Service model for EDC

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
Anyone carry XD Service Model in 9mm? How does that fare as EDC? Easy to conceal? I have the SC, I was wondering if it'd be worth it to trade up to the service model.

This is 'close' to what you're asking.

Just today, actually, I carried my XD45 Service in my Don Hume 715. I also have a XD40SC that is my usual EDC. I usually carry my subcompact, but today decided to carry the 45 to see how I'd fare.

I have decided that there is a GREAT reason why the subcompact is my EDC. The size difference is tremendous!

I can conceal both, but I am 6'6" and 350+. So I can conceal a cop if I need to.

For me, the subcompact is my best choice for all things IWB. I'll keep my 45 Service as my OWB choice. Using the sub's grip extension, you essentially have the Service option, without losing the ease of concealability of the sub.

It's just what I prefer. I wouldn't trade to be honest.

Guest Bronker
That's what I was thinking. I haven't tried carrying w/the 16 round mag yet, I've been using the 10 round mag.

I would do just that before I did anything. The grip extension will mimic the service's grip so you'll know if that will be a factor.

There's only an inch of actual slide length difference.

My comparison was 40 vs. 45 which is apples and oranges, but the essentials will still hold true.

I know its the wrong caliber...but the XD 45 Compact is perfect for carry...not too big, not too small, short grip, heavy hitter.

I am a hardcore 1911 guy, but I just bought my wife a 45 Compact a few days ago...and that lil pistol has impressed me, so much so that now I'm shopping for one for me...it will be my carry gun when I find another one.

The XD-9 service is not too hard to conceal. It does print maybe just a tiny bit because of the handle of the gun but it really is not that noticeable unless you are just looking for it. IMHO i believe the XD-9 service is a better firearm to have than the subcompact. Again that is just my opinion as everyone else is entitle to his/her. It just depends on what you are looking for. To me i would much rather have the longer barrel and the extra rounds. But thats just me...

I have XD SC 9 and Service 9.

The longer butt of the service 9 is just a no go for me.

About the same as carrying the SC with the 16 round mag, just try that for a while.

It's just amazing how much more that extra inch or so of butt prints, and stretches a shirt unnaturally, for my bod anyway. After experimenting I don't use the Pearce extension either; I even ground one down to minimum and still found it compromising.

I admit I may be more concerned with zero printing than many others, though.

- OS