Wyoming Drops Tenn. and Several More States From Reciprocity

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was first made aware of this on another forum. I called the Wyoming Attorney Generals Office to confirm the facts as reported and its true.:D

I was planning on goint to Wyoming next year on vacation. Now I'm going to have to make some changes in my plans. The following quote is from a directive sent out to all law enforcement agencies in the State.

So Wyoming says that Tennessee does not disqualify persons who have been found guilty of misdemeanor drug convictions from having a gun permit so they will no longer honor our permits.

Does anyone know what the law in Tenn. is for drug convictions. I would have thought a drug conviction of any kind whether felony or misdemeanor would prevent you from getting a permit.

So they have dropped reciprocity--but do they now refuse to even recognize a Tn. permit? Several states do not have reciprocity, but will recognize a Tn. permit anyway for the purpose of allowing a Tn. resident to carry....so are Tennesseans now prohibited from carrying at all in Wyoming now?

So they have dropped reciprocity--but do they now refuse to even recognize a Tn. permit? Several states do not have reciprocity, but will recognize a Tn. permit anyway for the purpose of allowing a Tn. resident to carry....so are Tennesseans now prohibited from carrying at all in Wyoming now?

I'm thinking it means they won't even honor it.

Guest jackdog
CRAP! Sorry about that. If a TN HCP holders adds a "NH Non-Res Permit" he only opens up two more states... Louisiana and Michigan.

We are already legal in Michigan

I do not think WY and TN ever had written reciprocity agreement.

From my understanding WY law says they will honor all other states permits if that state has simillar laws on getting a permit as WY and that is is up to the AG to determine this.

So the WY AG did a review of the other 49 states and determined that only 8 meet those guidlines.

So...no, as of now a TN permit is not honored in WY.

I do not think WY and TN ever had written reciprocity agreement..

TNDOS site not updated, still shows reciprocity with Wyoming, so apparently did have agreement.

- OS

"States with Reciprocity Agreements

• Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Mississippi
  • New Hampshire
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming"

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm

I guess the major thing that might affect us and other states is that won't be able to carry in Wyoming National Parks, of which Yellowstone is probably the most visited.

You'll be able to open carry elsewhere in the state, but as I understand it, the fairly new National Park rule is concealed only, with permit issued or honored from the state in question.

- OS

I guess the major thing that might affect us and other states is that won't be able to carry in Wyoming National Parks, of which Yellowstone is probably the most visited.

You'll be able to open carry elsewhere in the state, but as I understand it, the fairly new National Park rule is concealed only, with permit issued or honored from the state in question.

- OS

I think that is still slightly unclear....

You are right that you have to carry concealed in National Parks, but in states like WY and other that you can OC without a permit...not sure if you have to have a permit or not. Like what about VT that doesn't issue permits, but allows OC or CC still?

I think that is still slightly unclear....

You are right that you have to carry concealed in National Parks, but in states like WY and other that you can OC without a permit...not sure if you have to have a permit or not. Like what about VT that doesn't issue permits, but allows OC or CC still?

All good questions.

I certainly don't know the answers.

- OS

Guest HexHead
TNDOS site not updated, still shows reciprocity with Wyoming, so apparently did have agreement.

- OS

"States with Reciprocity Agreements

• Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Mississippi
  • New Hampshire
  • North Carolina
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Texas
  • Virginia
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming"

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm

Where's Alabama on that list?

Where's Alabama on that list?
I give up. Where is Alabama on that list?

TN and AL do not have written reciprocity agreement between each other, however TN honors all other states permits (per TN state law), including AL and AL still recognized TN permits.

As far as the difference between written reciprocity and simply recognizing or honoring permits, this has been discussed and a search can find it.

Tennessee does not have a contract with Alabama. Tennesseans can carry in Alabama because they recognize our permit, but not vice versa.

That is wrong, people from AL can carry in TN, just as anyone with valid permit from any state can carry in TN. Whether there is a written reciprocity agreement or not.

Guest tjbert47
Tennessee does not have a contract with Alabama. Tennesseans can carry in Alabama because they recognize our permit, but not vice versa.

TN honors all valid permits from any state. :meh:

That's fine I will stand corrected if so. At one point TN would not recognize AL permits because they did not require any class at all.

The lack of an signed agreement should not make anyone assume it means a state would not recognize your permit.

That's fine I will stand corrected if so. At one point TN would not recognize AL permits because they did not require any class at all.

The lack of an signed agreement should not make anyone assume it means a state would not recognize your permit.

The law changed a few years ago..

39-17-1351®(1)

A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection ® shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.

....and you are right about that just because two states don't have a written agreement that it doesn't mean they won't recognize the other's permit.

Update; Reciprocity being reviewed, all still vaild for now:

http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/CWP.html

Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation Concealed Firearm Permits

By statute, Wyoming honors concealed carry permits from other states that have laws similar to Wyoming’s. The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office is undertaking a thorough review of the concealed carry statutes of the 49 other states to determine which states have laws similar to Wyoming’s. Once that review is complete, this website will feature a list of the states from which Wyoming will honor concealed carry permits. Until then, the Division of Criminal Investigation will honor permits from those states with which Wyoming had reciprocity as of January 1, 2009.

Accordingly, Wyoming will continue to recognize concealed firearm permits from the following states. The listing also encompasses those states that have indicated they honor Wyoming permits.

Alaska Louisiana Oklahoma

Alabama Michigan Pennsylvania

Colorado Mississippi South Carolina

Florida Montana South Dakota

Georgia New Hampshire Tennessee

Idaho New Mexico Texas

Indiana Ohio Utah

Kentucky

For permit qualifications or additional information please click on the links below:

Frequently Asked Questions

Wyoming Concealed Firearms Permit Statute

It is extremely important for all concealed firearm permit holders to be aware of the requirements and laws of all states. The permit issued by your state does not supersede any other state’s laws or regulations. Legal conduct in your state may not be legal in the state you are visiting.

Wyoming residents who plan to visit another state with their Wyoming permits, and who also plan to carry a concealed firearm while visiting that state, are urged to contact that state before traveling. This will allow residents to determine all restrictions or prohibitions regarding the carrying of concealed firearms in those states, as well as their laws regarding firearms and weapons in general. Most of these states have web pages dedicated to this subject.

State firearms laws and reciprocity agreements are subject to frequent change, and furthermore, are subject to court interpretation. Information contained on this page is not to be considered legal advice. You should always contact an attorney licensed to practice law in your state for any legal advice.

Rev: 02-19-2009

Guest HexHead

Further update....

:rolleyes:

Wyoming: Attack on Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Suspended

Friday, February 20, 2009

Due to an overwhelmingly negative response from gun owners both in and outside Wyoming, an attempt made earlier this week to drastically limit Wyoming’s Right-to-Carry Reciprocity statute has been suspended for the time being, once again restoring the original Right-to-Carry Reciprocity statute.

This break will allow the NRA to review the current statute and develop a plan to bring a bill before the Wyoming State Legislature during the next legislative session to ensure that this never happens again to law-abiding citizens in Wyoming.

Guest m2jordan
Further update....

:rolleyes:

Wyoming: Attack on Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Suspended

Friday, February 20, 2009

Due to an overwhelmingly negative response from gun owners both in and outside Wyoming, an attempt made earlier this week to drastically limit Wyoming’s Right-to-Carry Reciprocity statute has been suspended for the time being, once again restoring the original Right-to-Carry Reciprocity statute.

This break will allow the NRA to review the current statute and develop a plan to bring a bill before the Wyoming State Legislature during the next legislative session to ensure that this never happens again to law-abiding citizens in Wyoming.

This is why I support a national law where all states have to recognize a CCW issued anywhere.

Also still write the Wyoming Govenors office (politly) that you think this AG is a pinhead. Maybe Gov Dave will fire him.

This is why I support a national law where all states have to recognize a CCW issued anywhere.

I don't like the idea of national oversight of handgun permits at all.

Or one overbearing federal goverment. :tinfoil:

You don’t have to worry about that either; they can’t. That is why the SCOTUS stopped short in the Heller decision. States Rights trumps the 2nd amendment. The Federal government will never force a state, any state, to allow firearm carry unless the state wants to allow it.