Wyoming Drops Tenn. and Several More States From Reciprocity

I was first made aware of this on another forum. I called the Wyoming Attorney Generals Office to confirm the facts as reported and its true.:D

I was planning on goint to Wyoming next year on vacation. Now I'm going to have to make some changes in my plans. The following quote is from a directive sent out to all law enforcement agencies in the State.

TO: All Wyoming Sheriffs

All Wyoming Chiefs of Police

DATE: February 12, 2009

RE: Concealed Firearm Permit Reciprocity

I am writing to let all the agencies in Wyoming know of substantial changes resulting from review of other states’ concealed firearm criteria. The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office recently completed examination of the other 49 states statutes for the purpose of honoring concealed firearms permits issued by another state, or reciprocity.

Pursuant to Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-401(a)(iii), Wyoming will recognize a permit from another state that “has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general . . ..†The Wyoming Attorney General has determined that with the exception of 8 states, presently all the others concealed firearm permit statutes are not sufficiently similar to Wyoming’s. Specifically, Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-104(:shrug:(v) prohibits issuance of a permit to any person who has been convicted of a controlled substance violation, felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction. Most other states’ analogous

statutes do not.

The Wyoming Attorney General holds that if a misdemeanor drug conviction disqualifies a Wyoming resident, is also needs to disqualify an out-of-state permit holder. Due to the difference in how each state handles controlled substance convictions, Wyoming is also limited in our ability to maintain reciprocity with states we may have previously.

Accordingly, as of March 1, 2009, Wyoming can only honor concealed firearm permits issued by the following states: Connecticut, Ohio, Georgia, Oklahoma, Maryland, Oregon, Massachusetts and Utah.

So Wyoming says that Tennessee does not disqualify persons who have been found guilty of misdemeanor drug convictions from having a gun permit so they will no longer honor our permits.

Does anyone know what the law in Tenn. is for drug convictions. I would have thought a drug conviction of any kind whether felony or misdemeanor would prevent you from getting a permit.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, there is nothing in the HCP qualifications that specifically addresses convictions on drug crimes. The only thing I am aware of is that you cannot be a user or addicted to controlled substances. As follows:

Shall not be an unlawful user of or addicted to alcohol or any controlled substance and the applicant has not been a patient in a rehabilitation program or hospitalized for alcohol or controlled substance abuse or addiction within ten (10) years from the date of application;

Of course, any indictment for a felony, or a felony conviction would disqualify someone for a TN HCP. Nothing specifically covering misdemeanor drug convictions.

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/qualifications.htm

Well, obviously we do, as far as the misdemeanor drug thing.

- OS

and thus an appeal. :shrug: I really don't fully understand how all the reciprocity works, but do know states care about their interstate agreements. They are viewed similar to treaties form what I understand. I guess we will see. Carrying Wyoming isn't really a big problem though. There are still a lot of trucks with gun racks in their windows there. Ah, the good ol days of riding with your women in the middle of the bench sea, a rifle in the window, and a spotlight mounted in your drivers window.:D

sorry, but I dont think its a real biggie if some kid gets busted with one joint when he's 18. He shouldnt have to suffer for that the rest of his life. The Wyoming Attorney Generals Office has gone a little crazy here IMHO.

Btw, the way I understand it, here in TN if you have multiple convictions for the use of illegal drugs or alcohol you can be prevented from obtaining a permit. Those convictions have to show a pattern over a period of years. At least thats what I have been told recently.

Don`t come to Nebraska. They only honor their own permits. We have a bunch of idiots running the state. They are afraid that someone might get hurt with a gun. It took them several elections to even allow ccw here at all. That is why a lot of us here also get the Utah permit as it covers a lot more states.

Looks like the answer is in getting a "NEW HAMPSHIRE non-resident" permit.

The costs appears to $20 bucks and can be obtained through the mail without you having to travel to get it.:D

Click HERE...

New Hampshire's page about it...

The $20 bucks doesn't include paying for a finger printing here, postage, copies, etc. but all things considered it seems pretty cheap.

(If I am wrong about this please correct me, you know how laws change and all.)

From what I've read on one Wyoming board the AG there is not very well liked and is not very gun friendly. Some say he apparently doesn't even understand the states preemption law.

However some are saying now that there is at least an offical policy in place, it can be challenged.

As far as states that issue non-resident permits that WY honors it appears to be Connecticut and Massachusetts. New Hamphshire is not on the list of states in the post.

As far as states that issue non-resident permits that WY honors it appears to be Connecticut and Massachusetts. New Hamphshire is not on the list of states in the post.

CRAP! Sorry about that. If a TN HCP holders adds a "NH Non-Res Permit" he only opens up two more states... Louisiana and Michigan.

CRAP! Sorry about that. If a TN HCP holders adds a "NH Non-Res Permit" he only opens up two more states... Louisiana and Michigan.

I thought Louisiana already honored TN permits.

CT does offer non-resident permits as well.

CT is Connecticut, right?

Your right... I'm wrong again. I missed it on the DOS page.

If I post one more erroneous it of info... I'm going to ban myself for week! :D

How embarrassing. :D

Michigan honors us too Creeks old buddy. :D
see ya next week.
LOL poor Creeky.
ROFL!!!

Sorry about that..... :P