Looking at the Remington 700 SPS Tactical 308win

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one got off gunbroker...

Me too...Sportsmans Safari was the seller ($560 + $20 for shipping + $20 for transfer fee + $10 for background check)

Its got a Leupold 6-18x40mm Mark II Tactical scope on it ($619 from Cabelas), I tuned the trigger down to a nice crisp 28 oz. pull and worked on the fore end of the stock to keep it from making contact with the barrel...it shoots so good I didn't bother bedding it.

Edited by Ridgerunner665

Im on snipershide all the time and they get pretty good reviews over there for the money. I would ditch the stock that come with it and get a McMillan or HS. Other than that here is a pretty good thresd about them from snipershide.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=992263&Searchpage=4&Main=90492&Words=sps+tactical&Search=true#Post992263

Hope this helps,

-Jason G

Guest Halfpint

I've handled the Tactical a few times . . . seems like it would make a good gun inside of 500-600 yards with good glass. Farther than that, I'll stick with my 5R. I've been thinking about a Tactical as a "back from bootcamp" present, but I would make a couple of changes, most likely after the first range session and barrel break-in.

1. Tune the trigger to a nice crisp pull--easily done by most home gunsmiths.

2. HS or McMillan stock as others have suggested.

3. Leave it alone--top it with good glass and feed it good ammo, and have fun!

It will reach a bit further than that...800 yards is easy without pushing the loads too hard, 900 can be done with the right bullets and warm loads.

What is good ammo to shoot if you don't reload? Buying off the shelf. What stock did yours come with syn or the Houge? I'll have to talk to you about the trigger once I get it ready and get a few rnds through it.

What is good ammo to shoot if you don't reload? Buying off the shelf. What stock did yours come with syn or the Houge? I'll have to talk to you about the trigger once I get it ready and get a few rnds through it.

Federal Gold Metal Match, Black Hills Match, Remington Match (if you can find it), Hornady Match.

Those are the ones I have used...they worked OK. I like 168 grain bullets myself, a bit more velocity than 175's and I rarely shoot past 800 yards anyway (my range is only 800 yards...I have to shoot across 2 different properties to reach 1000 yards, I do it sometimes but its a hassle because of livestock getting in the way, then I have to walk over there and run them off...so they can come back a few minutes later)