Range Report

memphismason

this is a follow up to:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16584

The model 19 shoots awesome!

It ate up the WWB 38 specials I fed through it, with hardly any felt recoil.

It shot the .357 mag orange box TN reloads without a problem. Recoil increased but not unpleasent.

It shot the .357 mag Whinchester Silver tips without a problem, other than my hand killing me. WOW what a punch those things have. Being new to revovlers, a guy told me to let my little finger stay on the bottom of the grip. this would help with my hand sliding up the grips. I guess I will try that.

I would love to shoot some of those Werewolf Bullets (silver tips) through a snubbie to feel what the recoil would be.

Anywho, the gun shot flawlessly. Nice grouping. Even pretty accurate at a longer distance. All in all, a great .357mag (but what do I know, I am knew to revolvers) LOL

:eek:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! I think you'll find that 19 to soon be one of your favorite guns. I feed mine mostly 38+Ps and then powderpuff 148gr HBWC target loads. I shoot my 6" 19 the best at shorter ranges (inside 25 yards) but for some reason I can hit things better with my 4" 19 outside of 50 yards! :eek:

Though it's been debated hotly on both sides for decades, I err on the side of safety and preservation by not shooting 125gr and lighter Mags through my K frame 357s. There are stories of cracked forcing cones due to the much greater impact these hi-vel bullets impart on the forcing cone, as well as greater flame cutting of the topstrap.

Have fun!

Awesome! I think you'll find that 19 to soon be one of your favorite guns. I feed mine mostly 38+Ps and then powderpuff 148gr HBWC target loads. I shoot my 6" 19 the best at shorter ranges (inside 25 yards) but for some reason I can hit things better with my 4" 19 outside of 50 yards! :lol:

Though it's been debated hotly on both sides for decades, I err on the side of safety and preservation by not shooting 125gr and lighter Mags through my K frame 357s. There are stories of cracked forcing cones due to the much greater impact these hi-vel bullets impart on the forcing cone, as well as greater flame cutting of the topstrap.

Have fun!

wow the 125gr really makes that big of a difference?

Well, some say it does, many say it doesn't. It has to do with the speed they generate (the 158gr don't accelerate as fast) before they hit the forcing cone. You'll also notice that unlike the L and N frame guns that the very bottom of the barrel's forcing cone is cut flat, making it weaker there. The smaller frame necessitates that space for the cylinder.

Like I said though, a lot of folks think it's hogwash. I haven't personally seen one with a cracked forcing cone, but I'm over-protective of my babies. Also, I seriously doubt that a box of hot 125s will blow the gun up right then and there, but I think there may be something to the idea that the constant battering of them may do harm over years. The K frame was originally designed for 38s and other less powerful ammo. It was modified to handle the .357. Kinda' like a pickup can be modified to handle a 5th wheel and it will work for a good while, but a semi is made for it and will probably last longer and be less stressed doing it.

I just figure if I want to get beat up, I can shoot my .44, or if I want to beat myself up with a .357, I'll get another GP100. :lol:

Well, some say it does, many say it doesn't. It has to do with the speed they generate (the 158gr don't accelerate as fast) before they hit the forcing cone. You'll also notice that unlike the L and N frame guns that the very bottom of the barrel's forcing cone is cut flat, making it weaker there. The smaller frame necessitates that space for the cylinder.

Like I said though, a lot of folks think it's hogwash. I haven't personally seen one with a cracked forcing cone, but I'm over-protective of my babies. Also, I seriously doubt that a box of hot 125s will blow the gun up right then and there, but I think there may be something to the idea that the constant battering of them may do harm over years. The K frame was originally designed for 38s and other less powerful ammo. It was modified to handle the .357. Kinda' like a pickup can be modified to handle a 5th wheel and it will work for a good while, but a semi is made for it and will probably last longer and be less stressed doing it.

I just figure if I want to get beat up, I can shoot my .44, or if I want to beat myself up with a .357, I'll get another GP100. :D

'

Thanks for that...I guss that is something I will have to consider,and keep in mind.

:P

Guest Halfpint
Seeing wheelguns causes my wallet to leak.
I'm guilty too . . . I've been telling Jay for a year that the next blued S&W 586 with a 4" barrel isn't ever hitting the counter--I'm taking that one home immediately. :D