My God! Im getting old!

BimmerFreak

Reason #3948894 that you know you are getting old:

You're taking your kids to their first rock concert.

So I was talking with my daughter (12) this evening and she says "hey Dad, do you like Motley Crue?"

I proceeded to tell her some of my Crue stories:

A dozen or so concerts, hanging with them backstage at Monsters of Rock '90 (maybe it was '91) dating Vince's cousin, hanging with Vince down in Portland when he was doing the PIG Racing thing, almost breaking Micks hand backstage in 99/00 (whatever year they toured with Anthrax and Megadeath) etc.

Needless to say, my kid though that was pretty cool!

She asks if we can go see them next weekend in Nashville (sold out) so we jump on eBay and bought 4 tickets for this coming Saturday.

In a way, im pretty stoked my kid is old enough to do fun stuff like that with her. But im pretty freaked out that im old enough to have kids interested in going to rock concerts!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this helps or hurts, but I saw that Billy Joel and Elton John were coming to Nashville in May and I told my wife I wanted to go. She got excited because she likes Elton John, I'm more of a Joel fan.

Anyway, I was like I wonder if anyone else would want to go? Turns out our other couple that we hang with has been wanting to go so we are gonna get tickets. While watching videos I realized most of Billy's stuff came out around the time I was born lol

It's cool though dude, at least she wants to go to something you both enjoy and she wants to go with you. :poop:

I don't know if this helps or hurts, but I saw that Billy Joel and Elton John were coming to Nashville in May and I told my wife I wanted to go. She got excited because she likes Elton John, I'm more of a Joel fan.

Anyway, I was like I wonder if anyone else would want to go? Turns out our other couple that we hang with has been wanting to go so we are gonna get tickets. While watching videos I realized most of Billy's stuff came out around the time I was born lol

It's cool though dude, at least she wants to go to something you both enjoy and she wants to go with you. :poop:

That would be a great show, too. I bet those tickets are gonna be out of this world.

Actually, I just took a peek over at Craigslist, and they didn't seem too bad.

That would be a great show, too. I bet those tickets are gonna be out of this world.

Actually, I just took a peek over at Craigslist, and they didn't seem too bad.

Ticketmaster had them for around 50 for the cheap seats. I don't care about being close really I just wanna hear them live.

Guest Bronker

Joe, I'm reading your post picturing the valentine's day commercial that's out (please tell me you've seen it) where the middle aged couple is having the flashback to "I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore" with the 80's "frizzy giant" hair!!! Please say you've seen it.

I'm picturing that, and even if she'd never admit it...that's how your daughter pictures you!!!

I've begun many conversations with the teenage boys in my Sunday school class with "back in my day, when I was your age and 'somewhat cool' myself..."

I get the feeling they don't believe 'my day' ever existed.

C'mon over Joe, there's a rocker on my porch with your name on it. It's the one with the 50mm mounted on the backboard.

Guest Rick O'Shay
The 80's big-hair bands still rule IMO :rock:

Watched Spinal Tap tonight with my Much-Too-Young-For-Me-But-Am-Enjoying-The-Ride-Anyway 30 y/o g/f. She sings in a "Fogey" band and can really belt out some Aretha! She thought the movie was hysterical, and wondered why she had never heard of it before. :)

I enthusiastically denied ever owning parachute pants, the Lord take mercy on my soul.

EDIT: I met her dad last night for the first time where her band was playing at a country club - he runs the sound. She warned me not to mention politics or my HCP because apparently he is strongly opposed to "anyone carrying a gun and the Commercial Appeal SHOULD publish those people's names!". They live in Covington; apparently her mother was relieved to find out that I carry because she was worried about her daughter's safety when visiting me in Memphis. And yes, they are divorced. Ole Dad didn't have much to say to me, go figure.

Edited by Rick O'Shay
Watched Spinal Tap tonight with my Much-Too-Young-For-Me-But-Am-Enjoying-The-Ride-Anyway 30 y/o g/f. She sings in a "Fogey" band and can really belt out some Aretha! She thought the movie was hysterical, and wondered why she had never heard of it before. :)

I enthusiastically denied ever owning parachute pants, the Lord take mercy on my soul.

EDIT: I met her dad last night for the first time where her band was playing at a country club - he runs the sound. She warned me not to mention politics or my HCP because apparently he is strongly opposed to "anyone carrying a gun and the Commercial Appeal SHOULD publish those people's names!". They live in Covington; apparently her mother was relieved to find out that I carry because she was worried about her daughter's safety when visiting me in Memphis. And yes, they are divorced. Ole Dad didn't have much to say to me, go figure.

LOL Tell Dad real men don't run sound and that since he is to much of a Nancy you'll take care of his daughter for him and make sure she's safe. Then if you're just in a mood give him this face when she turns away...

Quagmire.jpg

Guest mustangdave

HEHE...welcome to the club....though mine are all a lot OLDER now...the X and I went thru this back before the divorce...took my oldest son(now 30) to his first MOSH PIT experience when he was 15-16...I think...dang!!!! I am OLD...HEHE,,,but I'm still cool...OLD GUYS RULE!!!

What I love seeing is the middle aged women who used to be 'cannon fodder' for the bands and their crews acting prim and proper while scolding their children who just bought tickets to see a show.

Of course the days of "over the top" rock shows are long gone. Thank god.

Guest GUTTERbOY
I've seen Tommy Lee's ass.

:screwy:

The oldness is still creeping up on me. It's just little things, like when I catch myself saying stuff that I used to only attribute to old people. The most common offender is "Man, I remember when [product] used to only cost [insanely low price]!"

The most recent incident involved a toy my parents got for my niece. This toy is a big plastic keyring that includes a fob, so my niece can simulate remotely unlocking and starting the car, as well as activating the horn. I saw that thing and got to thinking how that toy wouldn't have made a bit of sense when I was a kid. I mean, in 1982, why would a keychain have had buttons on it?

*sigh*

It can only get worse from here.