Clips or Loops?

Guest DylisTN

Guest DylisTN

I'm going to order a IWB from HBE leather works. This will be to carry a big ol CZ52 at about 4 Oclock. What are the pro and cons of Belt loops vs. the metal clips? Any advice on cant or ride height?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to order a IWB from HBE leather works. This will be to carry a big ol CZ52 at about 4 Oclock. What are the pro and cons of Belt loops vs. the metal clips? Any advice on cant or ride height?

Depends on the exact clip and loop construction, but some general thoughts:

- Many holster makers who offer metal or kydex clips, the clip body has 3-5 attachment holes - this allows for a variety of options regarding both depth and cant of the holster. I glanced at HBE, looks like the clips aren't adjustable, but not sure from the pix.

- Clips, depending on type and size, may grip belt more precisely than loops. Then again, if clip is not made for exact belt width, can be as loose as same size loop.

- Clips tend to be a little quicker to get on and off than loops.

- Clips can be thinner than loops, reducing overall printing, again depending on design.

- Clips can be harder on belt, can scratch them (generally metal ones).

- If you have an all leather holster, leather loops may be more aesthetically pleasing

- Either clips or loops need to be same color as belt for best concealment

There are lots of variables involved, for example:

My EDC is in a Bullard (see avatar). Being a tinkerer, I actually changed from his clips to a pair I bought from another holster maker (Comp-Tac). I also have a set of leather loops for this holster, but they way they are designed, they add too much outward thickness to the thing, and tend to print more at waist.

So the current arrangment is the best I've found for combination of secure hold, options for depth/cant, and concealment.

- OS

Guest Alpha Dog

I agree, loops print more than clips. (I have loops on a Milt Sparks IWB holster and clips on a Comp Tac IWB holster)

There are different clip designs, too.

Some are wide. They may be nice and flat, but depending where you carry, a wide clip may not be comfortable and may not ride nicely.

Comp Tac has thin clips that come in two designs...a standard "clip over the belt" model and a "only hold the top edge and bottom edge of the belt" model.

I just replaced some earlier (wider) Comp Tac clips with the newer model (standard) and they are GREAT!

Personally I like clips a whole lot more. Easier on off, stronger/longevity (IMO), less print, etc. I also like a holster to ride as high as possible OWB and sit fairly low IWB. I also carry full size guns and like a "FBI" or forward cant. It just hides better the way I carry. I've also discovered that different body types can conceal better carrying different ways. It is truly a trial and error decision, so get a dedicated gun drwaer ready!:eek: