Invasion of privacy / Future ID theft

Guest Tim G.

Commercial Appeal had posted a link to the personal information on every Handgun Carry Permit holder in Tennessee. This open information includes your full name, address, and full date of birth.

In their tiny minds, they cannot fathom why anyone other than a criminal or a militia-type whacko would want to carry a gun. By publishing your personal data, they also hope to intimidate you, by applying pressure on you by relatives, co-workers, employers, and others who might not otherwise know that you have a carry permit. Of course, the real threat from this inexcusable behavior is identity theft. By making your full name, address, and date of birth available on-line, that data can be accessed by anyone in the world, via the internet. That is sufficient personal information to allow all sorts of criminal activity that will impact you directly.

I suggest you contact the management of the C/A directly and voice your extreme opposition to this electronic terrorism. To make this more effective, I have appended below the home address of the various C/A staff. After all, the public has a right to know, eh? Let's see how they like their personal data in the public domain. Please send a strongly worded letter to each of these clowns at their home address.

-Tom Givens

List updated by me with home phone numbers:

Joseph Pepe, President and publisher

3195 Wetherby Cv S

Germantown, TN 38139

901-737-8784

Home Property Tax Information

Steve Tomb, VP of Operations

1846 Wildcreek Cv

Collierville, TN 38017

Phone Unpublished

Chris Peck, Editor

21 Belleair Dr

Memphis, TN 38104

901-276-8314

Otis Sanford, Editor/Opinion & Editorials

3396 Park Ave

Memphis, TN 38111

Phone Unpublished

Eric Janssen, VP of Digital Media

8996 Stratfield Cv

Germantown, TN 38139

901-358-7007, Home

901-212-3597, Cell

Scott Sines, Managing Editor

2136 Wentworth Ln

Germantown, TN 38139

Phone Unpublished

Daniel Moehle, VP/Chief Financial Officer

3172 Devonshire Way

Germantown, TN 38139

901-757-5911

Karl Wurzbach, VP of Sales and Marketing

3098 Bentwood Run Dr

Collierville, TN 38017

Phone Unpublished

Robert Jiranek, VP of New Business Development

175 Waring Rd

Memphis, TN 38117

901-251-1810

Bob Pinarski, Advertising Director

3961 Herons Landing Ln

Arlington, TN 38002

901-867-5294

Denise Holman, Manager of Classified Advertising

720 Litty Ct 103

Memphis, TN 38103

Phone Unpublished

Paul Jewell, Marketing Director

1439 Vance Ave

Memphis, TN 38104

901-272-1458

Funny, I ran each of these people through the database and not one was in there. I cannot believe, for a second, as pompous and "royal" as these people are that not one of them has a permit. So I am pretty confident about the "tweaked" part now. Besides Fisherville (which is equal) the chart does not match up with the city if you type it in.

gunchart.jpg

City - Chart - Manual

Fisherville - 4 - 4

Eads - 612 - 607

Lakeland - 509 - 501

Arlington - 1304 - 1273

Millington - 1577 - 1551

Germantown - 1898 - 1864

Collerville - 2103 - 2071

Bartlett - 2475 - 2436

Ccordova - 2709 - 2652

Memphis - 16166 - 15949

Looks like they removed their friends and family too.

Please post this on any, not necessarily firearms related but gun friendly, forums that get a lot of traffic.

/tg

P.S. For those that do not know, Memphis Commercial Appeal is the local newspaper. And it is about as far left as you can get without falling over the edge.... oh wait! ...nevermind.

Edited by Tim G.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a bounced email from one of them via their online form. Looks like their address is Firstname.Lastname@CommercialAppeal.com

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------

Subject: Out of Office AutoReply: Message via the Web site

From: "Holman, Denise" [Denise.Holman@commercialappeal.com]<denise.holman@commercialappeal.com><denise.holman@commercialappeal.com>

Date: Thu, February 12, 2009 10:45 am

To: TimG@

Hello,

I will be out of the office Wednesday and Thursday as we help our customers acheive enhanced results with Yahoo! Behaviorial Targeting. I will return your email after 5pm each day. For immediate assistance, advertising price quotes, or to place an ad, please email us at classad.commercialappeal.com or call 901-529-2700 and ask to speak with Rebecca Rice. For an appointment to find out how you can have the right advertising message, to the right potential customer at exactly the right time during the buying cycle, please call 529-5888, and ask for a Yahoo! Blitz appointment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

/tg</denise.holman@commercialappeal.com></denise.holman@commercialappeal.com>