Looking for something?

bteague2

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Thanks for the pointer to http://www.riverofguns.com. A bunch of you have tried it out, but go ahead and spread the word.

I've already talked about it on a couple of gun forums, so apologies if you've already seen this.

So yes, I wanted to create a site where you could search the classified sections of all the gun forums, so I came up with www.riverofguns.com.

It's currently got over 56,000 entries from 180 topics at 50 forums. That's about two month's worth of collected data. I'm working on getting it up to the 105 forums I discovered. I've just added the classifieds here at TGO.

There are still some ways to improve it (mainly in search), but it's very usable now.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Chuck R.

San Jose, CA (but whose Mom was born in Knoxville)

Edited by chuckr
typo

Chuck, great idea, but if you're not a member of the particular forum, you can't contact the seller. I would imagine, most of the for sale threads would disappear to a "new member" once you did sign up. If there was an off board way to contact them, it would be perfect.

Chuck, great idea, but if you're not a member of the particular forum, you can't contact the seller. I would imagine, most of the for sale threads would disappear to a "new member" once you did sign up. If there was an off board way to contact them, it would be perfect.

Hi Mickey D,

You bring up a good point. I'll tell you what I've found with regard to that issue.

First, it's useful to find prices for things you're interested in. Even if you can't buy it (not local/won't ship), or it's already sold, having reference points for what used equipment is going for is invaluable.

To help this along, I'm going to add a link for "advanced search" where you can search over the SOLD/SPF entries and the WTB entries.

Second, for most sites, it's really easy to sign up. I signed up here at TGO in about 60 seconds (including the verification email). I've found that even if you're a "first post" user at a forum, you can still see the full classifieds, and you still can PM other users. I think the usual case for a forum is that there are a lot more "silent" members than active members so hopefully the discrimination factor should be low.

And let me tell you, if there's a hard to find gun you want, you won't let the sign up process stand in your way. :poop: I was a bulldog when looking for a used S&W Model 52 for bullseye competition.

Also, in the future I plan to show you more of the posting details so you can see the listing's text and any images, if available. This way you can be more sure the item is something you want before you go and register somewhere to ask about it.

@nsnate02: Yep, elitedealseeker is another similar idea that's been around. I think I have more forums and my search is better, but heck, use everything you can when you're looking for something. Everything except Google that is, because it generally doesn't index this stuff.

Thanks to everyone else for the input and encouragement.

- chuckr

Edited by chuckr
typo