XD-M 9 or G-19

Guest eyebedam

Guest eyebedam

If you had a choice between the 2 which would you choose & why? It will be carried some but not as a primary everyday. Already have a EMP for that purpose.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest flyfishtn

eyebedam, this is the same question I have been asking myself and I am leaning towards the XDm as I like the ergos on the XD best. I have tried to like Glock but they just don't fit my hands like the XD.

Both are good guns, just personally, they XD and XDm fit me better.

Guest Traumaslave

I vote for the XDm. I have shot both. Unless you want to screw up your mechanics in your draw and point, I'd stay away from Glocks. They are fantastic "tools" but, with the grip angle that Glocks have being different than every other pistol, I'd stay away. That and unless you want a mag hanging out of the bottem, the XDm holds the most (19+1).

Guest Todd@CIS
I'd pick the one that fit me best, not the one that fits someone else best.

+1

Having said that...my opinion because you asked.

When I pick up an XD, it does feel good in the hand. However, after some experience with both I choose Glock for these reasons.

1. Trigger Reset. Not even close, Glock wins.

2. Durability / Reliability. Not saying the XD is bad here, but Glock still wins. We have had more issues pop up from our XDs than from our Glocks (my Dept issues both and I'm the Armorer for both).

3. Factory Support / Parts Availability. Clearly, Glock wins here.

4. Personal Ability. I shoot Glocks better and my thumb has a tendancy to "ride" the XD slide release preventing the slide from locking open on the last round if I'm not careful.

Because I'm on SWAT, I have to carry an issued XD45.

I wish that I had my issued G23 back...

Edited by Todd@CIS

between the 2, i'd say G19. might not feel the as good as the XD, but bet it'll perform better over the long haul (besides, there's been some buzz out there around XDM's misbehaving...).

that said... sure sounds like you need to check out an M&P (way better ergos than the G19, yet quite similar function-wise).

...my Dept issues both and I'm the Armorer for both....

Have you fired any of the XD-M's? I'm curious because I recently bought one and while at Guns & Leather, fondled both and the triggers and reset felt totally different to me, however I am by no means a professional or qualified to substantiate this. Just looking for your opinion here as you are obviously qualified :screwy:. I have only actually shot one XD in .40 cal. but liked the ergo's and the capacity of the new M series so bought one to add to the collection. Now I do have a G34 that I like to shoot at the range and plan on getting a G19 w/ night sights in the coming months IF I can find one......:rolleyes:

I vote for the XDm. I have shot both. Unless you want to screw up your mechanics in your draw and point, I'd stay away from Glocks. They are fantastic "tools" but, with the grip angle that Glocks have being different than every other pistol, I'd stay away. That and unless you want a mag hanging out of the bottem, the XDm holds the most (19+1).

Ludicrous. Yeah tell that to all of those people I shot with at Gunsite and numerous other places. They'd laugh in your face. Glocks will screw up your mechanics :)

Unless you are extremely well versed and practiced you should always keep the same basic designs in your carry. I know people who are well trained enough to carry their 1911, High Power and Glock and never ever skip a beat. It's all about practice. If he practices with the Glock and carries it he will be just fine. PErsonally I keep to the same basic designs and different sizes, that is they way I was trained. I do not carry a 1911 one day and a DA revolver the next. Practice and similar systems to me is the key. Unless you are well racticed in defensive combat for several systems. Defensive combat practice is not going out to the range.

Todd makes some very good points to the difference between the Glock and XD. As I said in the end for me it would probably matter most what feels comfortable. One other thing I do not care for on the XD is the fact that you have to have the grip safety pressed in sufficiently to rack the slide. That compromises your safety in several ways. One other factor, the Glock has an excellent bore sight radius, the XD doesn't.

That being said, I have no real beef with the XD or the Glock, I've shot both and think both are well made firearms. This notion of somebody telling another that a gun won't fit their hand and mechanics is a real pet peeve. The XD has better ergonomics 'to me' that doesnt mean the Glock has terrible ergonomics.

Edited by Warbird

Having shot both the XD-M and many G19's.... Tough call.

The last G19 I worked had some mods done, so I'm not sure if it's fair. But, from that experience, i'd lean towards the G19, and put some work into it, over an out of the box XD-M.

Guest Todd@CIS
Have you fired any of the XD-M's? I'm curious because I recently bought one and while at Guns & Leather, fondled both and the triggers and reset felt totally different to me, however I am by no means a professional or qualified to substantiate this. Just looking for your opinion here as you are obviously qualified :).

I'm no more qualified to render an opinion than you. :D

I have a little experience with one XD-M. Enough to know that I wasn't that impressed by the supposed trigger improvements over the standard XDs.

Guest Todd@CIS
Ludicrous. Yeah tell that to all of those people I shot with at Gunsite and numerous other places. They'd laugh in your face. Glocks will screw up your mechanics :)

Unless you are extremely well versed and practiced you should always keep the same basic designs in your carry. I know people who are well trained enough to carry their 1911, High Power and Glock and never ever skip a beat. It's all about practice. If he practices with the Glock and carries it he will be just fine. PErsonally I keep to the same basic designs and different sizes, that is they way I was trained. I do not carry a 1911 one day and a DA revolver the next. Practice and similar systems to me is the key. Unless you are well racticed in defensive combat for several systems. Defensive combat practice is not going out to the range.

Todd makes some very good points to the difference between the Glock and XD. As I said in the end for me it would probably matter most what feels comfortable. One other thing I do not care for on the XD is the fact that you have to have the grip safety pressed in sufficiently to rack the slide. That compromises your safety in several ways. One other factor, the Glock has an excellent bore sight radius, the XD doesn't.

That being said, I have no real beef with the XD or the Glock, I've shot both and think both are well made firearms. This notion of somebody telling another that a gun won't fit their hand and mechanics is a real pet peeve. The XD has better ergonomics 'to me' that doesnt mean the Glock has terrible ergonomics.

+1 again.

As far as triggers go, IMO, it is the G19, XDM, then the XD. I shot a G19 a couple of weeks ago, the trigger reset kills my XD's stock trigger. I have only fondled a XDm's trigger, reset seems to be marginally better. The XD felt better in my hand, but if I were to throw a few hundred rounds down range with the G19 I would be fine. I have no problems with the grip safety of the XD, I like the feature, but it is not an determining factor. Durability, I have had no problems and I would put my life on the line with my XD, but I have read/heard of dirty mag issues. For my use this is not a major factor. Parts availabilty...umm Glock.

Todd has a very good assessment.

The deciding factor for me chosing my XD due to the way it felt in my hand. Everything else mostly even in my mind. At this time, 2 years later...it is still pretty even, with Glock slightly ahead and that is based mostly on the trigger out of the box. I have considered a trigger job...but it won't be anytime soon.

Guest Todd@CIS
As far as triggers go, IMO, it is the G19, XDM, then the XD. I shot a G19 a couple of weeks ago, the trigger reset kills my XD's stock trigger. I have only fondled a XDm's trigger, reset seems to be marginally better.

+1

My thoughts exactly.

Obviously I'm a big fan of short (and positive) trigger resets...Glocks, 1911s, etc.

I believe that making use of a short reset is a huge aid to delivering fast, accurate shots on target. The only top level shooter (that I'm aware of) that disagrees with this is Rob Leatham. His trigger finger actually comes off of the trigger between shots.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest 153blue

tough one.... even if you picked one, you'd still find your self wanting the other. so... save up and buy both! :D. unless your talking about the new model glock.... then the chioce is obvious, the XDM. lol

• Administrator

I'd take option "C" and give a long hard look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. They seem to be the best of both worlds, and this is coming from the guy who loves his Glock 19, has owned more than a few XDs and now carries his M&P 40 pretty much exclusively.

Guest Traumaslave
Ludicrous. Yeah tell that to all of those people I shot with at Gunsite and numerous other places. They'd laugh in your face. Glocks will screw up your mechanics :D

Isn't Ludicrous a rapper???:D

The "point/aim" of a Glock is lower than any other SA pistol. No one can deny that. Yes, if you practice with a Glock you will be fine but, when it comes down to "muscle memory" of the point after draw, you stand a very high chance of missing your target in a defense situation if you don't practice soley with it. You have to break your wrist down in order to center your shot. Range time is much different than when your or your's life depends on well placed shots. I understand the design of the grip angle in that they shoot where you would be pointing your index finger. Is that more natural? I don't think so due to that being a propritary design. I give it to Glock in that they are one of the best "tools" out there. But, as Poak stated, neither hold a candle to a USPc.

To the original post, i personally would choose the XD-m. I myself was going to purchase it last month but decided to get the xd instead. I didn't need the extra pizazz of the XD-m although it would have been nice and the service xd were more concealable or at least for me anyways. The xd has more features that i prefer and it fits in my hand better than the glock.....but thats just my opinion. Shouldn't the XD-M be compared to like a G17 or something? Whichever one you decide choose the one that you feel most comfortable with and one that you hopefully wont regret buying. Both are great guns

How is the reliability with the M&P? I helped a friend purchase a carry piece a few weeks ago. He went in looking at a Glock. Did not like the XDs at all. Then when he tried the M&P, he was sold. I have to admit, even though I too drink the Austrian Cool-aid, I like the M&P.

Yep. I would wager they will probably prove to be about as reliable as a Glock, but only time will tell obviously. If I didn't have my G26, I'd have a M&P9c. I just like the Glocks a little more, thats all. Love me some Kool-Aid.

• Administrator
How is the reliability with the M&P? I helped a friend purchase a carry piece a few weeks ago. He went in looking at a Glock. Did not like the XDs at all. Then when he tried the M&P, he was sold. I have to admit, even though I too drink the Austrian Cool-aid, I like the M&P.

See below...

Initially, they had some issues. But I'd think S&W got past that.

Agreed. My first set of M&Ps were a full-size 40, a compact 40 and a compact 9. I had zero problems with the two 40 caliber models but had a few nagging issues with the 9 Compact. Enough so that I sold them all and kept looking for my "perfect carry piece".

That journey took me through a few XDs, two HK P2000 models, my beloved Glock 19 (which I still own and will never part with), and eventually back to an M&P 9L which I traded off for my second and now current M&P 40 full-size.

Somewhere in between 2005 when I bought my first M&P handguns and now, Smith & Wesson worked out 99% of the kinks. In fact, I have had zero issues with my M&P 40. None. It has eaten everything I've fed it without complaint, always goes bang when I pull the trigger, and is a tack driver. I love it.

My Glock 19 will probably see more use again during the summer months when I want something that is a little shorter in the grip for slightly better concealment with shorts and a t-shirt. But my M&P 40 has now joined the Glock as one of three of the handguns that I own that are not up for sale or trade. Ever.