One of these days, there's going to be a dead dog out here.

Guest GUTTERbOY

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M80.

Or other fireworks, something to scare them, owner, then animal control/sheriff. But if they attack be ready to take them out. What does the owner/boss say about them?

First off, I LOVE my dogs. And I treat them accordingly. They are NOT allowed to roam free in violation of state law. Anyone harming my dog will answer for it.

I will immediately use whatever level of threat is necessary to protect me, mine and other humans; in that order. If I have to kill a dog, I will be SOOOOO pissed at the owner you wouldnt believe.

What has worked for me is a pellet 'gun' (i hesitate to type that as legally they arent firearms). It has never taken more than 2 shots for any dog stalking me to learn (and the 2nd was a miss). Just make sure you can legally shoot before you do.

I am now able to walk my dogs all over my neighborhood (on lead of course) without anything other than long distance barking to endure.

Random toughts:

Getting a report on record of a problem dog is an excellent idea, be it police or animal control.

Speaking with the owner is almost a Must imo.

SnapNpops is an interesting idea.

I forgot to mention or ask, do you have an airsoft gun? They will sting but will not hurt the dogs.

A paintball or two of a bright shade would be a KLUE for the idiot owners that let fluffy run loose.

Guest mustangdave

A few years back..way back...I was out for my evening 5 mile run. approaching me were 2 women and a mini schnauser(off lead)...this dog caught site of me run at me barking and bit into the toe of my running shoe...almost without missing a beat little Fluffy went sailing through the up rights for a 3 point field goal. On my return leg i got cursed at like no bodies business...I just politely said Fluffy needs to be on a leash next time...or I go distance

A few years back..way back...I was out for my evening 5 mile run. approaching me were 2 women and a mini schnauser(off lead)...this dog caught site of me run at me barking and bit into the toe of my running shoe...almost without missing a beat little Fluffy went sailing through the up rights for a 3 point field goal. On my return leg i got cursed at like no bodies business...I just politely said Fluffy needs to be on a leash next time...or I go distance

The picture of that in my mind......priceless!!!!

Guest gunslinger707

Note to self DO NOT read Board's while eating JELLO !!!!!!!:rolleyes::rofl::rofl:

Guest JeepMonkey
A paintball or two of a bright shade would be a KLUE for the idiot owners that let fluffy run loose.
That worked on a dog that kept coming into my yard and dropping 5-pound turds and threatening my kid brother. The owner got pissed, so I told her the alternative was to turn my former LE German Shepherd on it...haven't had an issue since.
First off, I LOVE my dogs. And I treat them accordingly. They are NOT allowed to roam free in violation of state law.

There is no state leash law. Our dogs and most of our neighbors run free with no problems. Violent dogs seem to just disapear around here

44-8-408. Dogs not allowed at large — Exception — Penalties. —

(:grouchy: The owner of a dog commits an offense if that dog goes uncontrolled by the owner upon the premises of another without the consent of the owner of the premises or other person authorized to give consent, or goes uncontrolled by the owner upon a highway, public road, street or any other place open to the public generally.

I suppose it's not technically a leash law, but since most people's dogs aren't that well trained...

Guest savvysteve
What kind of record would you have?

I have read through several posts... so some enlighten me. What would be on your record? Shooting a dog in self defense is the same as shooting a crook in self defense. I too have been faced with this problem with my dad's neighbor's dog. My dad came out of the house and saw what was going on and sprayed pepper spray and backed these dogs up. I was close to drawing on them, the guy next door made this one dog mean and I wasn't going to get bitten.

Law or not, I think its just smarter to keep a dog penned or on a leash (when out walking).

Regardless of what some think, dogs are animals and give into instinct....digging, barking, biting, etc.

Living on an acre lot, I keep my dog in a fenced in back yard with an invisible fence securing him to the property (front and back).

I wouldn't dream of letting my kids roam the neighborhood, why should my dog be any different. There's just to much that can happen, get blamed for, get into, or all else, get hurt or kid/dog napped by.:grouchy:

Thanks, darkis for beating me to the 'allowing the dog to run at large' law. It is indeed an offense in TN to allow a dog to run loose out of control. In the courts around here that is intrepretated to mean that if he is not under restraint and is off of his property, the owner is in violation.

Killing/shooting a dog is definately not like killing/shooting any human. A dog is legally considered to be property and is treated as such in the courts. (this drives PETA insane)

Law or not, I think its just smarter to keep a dog penned or on a leash (when out walking).

Regardless of what some think, dogs are animals and give into instinct....digging, barking, biting, etc.

Living on an acre lot, I keep my dog in a fenced in back yard with an invisible fence securing him to the property (front and back).

I wouldn't dream of letting my kids roam the neighborhood, why should my dog be any different. There's just to much that can happen, get blamed for, get into, or all else, get hurt or kid/dog napped by.;)

Sad, have we gotten to the point in TN that the average citizen wouldn't dream of letting their kids roam the neighborhood? :D

On topic: I have to use three collars (a lot of voltage) to keep my poodles inside the invisible fense, so there's a limit to how secure those fences are.

Edited by Ggun
spelling

On topic: I have to use three collars (a lot of voltage) to keep my poodles inside the invisible fense, so there's a limit to how secure those fences are.

True. But I think most cops/folks understand the difference if a dog gets out where the owner is trying to obey the law vs letting the dog run free all the time to get himself into trouble. When the former happens around here, I try to grab the dog or at least let the owner know he's gotten out.

But when I see an animal at large, I automatically think 'white trash owner'. The ones I REALLY despise are the ones who let their animals out on friday night to run the whole weekend because they know the dogcatcher works M-F.

True. But I think most cops/folks understand the difference if a dog gets out where the owner is trying to obey the law vs letting the dog run free all the time to get himself into trouble. When the former happens around here, I try to grab the dog or at least let the owner know he's gotten out.

But when I see an animal at large, I automatically think 'white trash owner'. The ones I REALLY despise are the ones who let their animals out on friday night to run the whole weekend because they know the dogcatcher works M-F.

I agree with you 100% on that. It annoys me that I spend and take the time to keep my dogs on my property and others let their dogs run around. That's the main reason my dogs try to jump through.

Guest savvysteve

No one has still answered the question way back from page 1. If you killed a dog to defend yourself what charge would go on your record? I you killed someone in self defense what charge would go on your record? Correct me here, but if the local DA decides not to press charges then your record should still be clean. Your fingerprints are already in the system so if they print you again in your 24 hours in jail so what.

Anyone?

A guy that lives next to me shot a dog for getting in his nursery stock. The owners of the dog called the police to try to get him in trouble but since the dog was destroying his nursery stock and he had given them warnings to keep their dog off his property the police said he was in the right to shoot the dog and it ended there. The guy has no record

No one has still answered the question way back from page 1. If you killed a dog to defend yourself what charge would go on your record? I you killed someone in self defense what charge would go on your record? Correct me here, but if the local DA decides not to press charges then your record should still be clean. Your fingerprints are already in the system so if they print you again in your 24 hours in jail so what.

Anyone?

If it is not self-defense it would be theft of property.

39-14-205 Intentional killing of animal.

(a) (1) (A) It is an offense to knowingly and unlawfully kill the animal of another without the owner's effective consent.

(
:drool:
A violation of subdivision (a)(1)(A) is theft of property, graded according to the value of the animal, and punished in accordance with §

(2)
In determining the value of a police dog, fire dog, search and rescue dog, service animal or police horse under §
, the court shall consider the value of the police dog, fire dog, search and rescue dog, service animal or police horse as both the cost of the animal and any specialized training the animal received.

(:drool: A person is justified in killing the animal of another if the person acted under a reasonable belief that the animal was creating an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury to that person or another or an imminent danger of death to an animal owned by that person. A person is not justified in killing the animal of another if at the time of the killing the person is trespassing upon the property of the owner of the animal. The justification for killing the animal of another authorized by this subsection (B) shall not apply to a person who, while engaging in or attempting to escape from criminal conduct, kills a police dog that is acting in its official capacity. In that case the provisions of subsection (a) shall apply to the person.

Anyone?

Fallguy is correct.

To very specifically answer your questions:

1)kill dog in self defense = no charge

2)kill human in self defense = no charge

BUT, the above assumes you are 100% legally in the right and still the locals MAY still charge you with various things. eg, discharge of a firearm inside city limits, wreckless conduct, destruction of private property, manslaughter, premeditated murder and other stuff of various seriousness. CHARGED does not mean guilty and anytime you potentially have a felony with another human it will almost always go to a Grand Jury. If the DA has a hardon for you, it may go to a GJ until he gets the answer he wants.

Also note that you may be sued civilly regardless of your guilt or innocence in either case, regardless of the merit of the suit.

By your 'record' I assume you mean your criminal history as it would be called up by 911 in NCIC. Only convictions would show in a NCIC check (tho i may not me 100% correct in this- knowledgable input solicited!).

3)a private citizen may bring ANY matter before a sitting GJ, but in practice you'll need to schedule this thru the DA's office, tho you do not have to tell them what the crime you are reporting may be.

Also note that your HCP would be suspended while charged with felonies or domestics. Acquittal would allow you to be reinstated.