One of these days, there's going to be a dead dog out here.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Guest GUTTERbOY

Background: I work for a small startup, out of a guy's house. Now there are a couple of dogs that I see regularly roaming free. One appears to be some sort of lab mix, and is friendly most of the time. The other looks vaguely husky-like, and ****s bricks any time he sees me.

I've had to run off the husky several times when arriving or leaving. He's approached me before, but not in a particularly threatening manner, and generally running at him while waving my arms and doing my best War Cry will send him running for the hills.

Well, this morning, I arrive on the bike, and the lab is by the road. He immediately gives chase until I get the bike parked, then backs off. As I'm dismounting, the husky shows up, and they take a standoff position about 50 feet away, barking at me.

I ignore them and start walking towards the house, watching them out of the corner of my eye. At some point, they start approaching, so I turn to face them head-on. When I did that, both dogs immediately bared their teeth and came straight for me. I got them to stop by using the War Cry yet again, but I was about ready to reach in my pocket for the KT.

I backed slowly down the hill with them watching me the whole way, and they left me alone after that.

It's about time I looked into animal control out here in Hixson.

:D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does the business owner say? Might be a word to the owner would correct the problem. The animals may be just acting protective of the place, the area. The dog owners may not be aware of the problem. Might be a larger problem than just yours. Too many unknowns here. I would make it known starting with the business owner and go from there. If a report goes to authorities and some day you have to put the dog down at least there will be a report filed of a dangerous animal and you would be somewhat justified.

JMHO,

oldogy

Pepper spray worked well for me with an aggressive Pit Bull once, didn't have to shoot him.

I found that bear spray is a better alternative as it shoots much further.

Counter Assault is a good brand and has a belt holster as well if you need to carry it while out in the field.

Guest Bronker
Background: I work for a small startup, out of a guy's house. Now there are a couple of dogs that I see regularly roaming free. One appears to be some sort of lab mix, and is friendly most of the time. The other looks vaguely husky-like, and ****s bricks any time he sees me.

I've had to run off the husky several times when arriving or leaving. He's approached me before, but not in a particularly threatening manner, and generally running at him while waving my arms and doing my best War Cry will send him running for the hills.

Well, this morning, I arrive on the bike, and the lab is by the road. He immediately gives chase until I get the bike parked, then backs off. As I'm dismounting, the husky shows up, and they take a standoff position about 50 feet away, barking at me.

I ignore them and start walking towards the house, watching them out of the corner of my eye. At some point, they start approaching, so I turn to face them head-on. When I did that, both dogs immediately bared their teeth and came straight for me. I got them to stop by using the War Cry yet again, but I was about ready to reach in my pocket for the KT.

I backed slowly down the hill with them watching me the whole way, and they left me alone after that.

It's about time I looked into animal control out here in Hixson.

:tough:

PLEEEEEASE post video of said "War Cry"!!

I'm with you. I'd be inclined to shoot as well. The only factor would be that you are not on your own property. Definitely check with said property owner. Last spring I had a Great Pyrannes that stood on my porch and growled at me through my doorway. I said out loud to him that if he gave me enough time to reach the gunsafe and load my shotgun, he was toast.

Didn't want to dust him with the .40 or the 00Buck of m HD Mossy, for cleanup sake.

Needless to say, he was still there when I returned.

And cleanup was minimal.

Guest GUTTERbOY
What does the business owner say? Might be a word to the owner would correct the problem. The animals may be just acting protective of the place, the area. The dog owners may not be aware of the problem. Might be a larger problem than just yours. Too many unknowns here. I would make it known starting with the business owner and go from there. If a report goes to authorities and some day you have to put the dog down at least there will be a report filed of a dangerous animal and you would be somewhat justified.

JMHO,

oldogy

I'm gonna see if he knows who the dog belongs to. If he does, I'll go talk to them. If I can't get up with the owners or they don't give a rat's ass, then animal control will hear from me the next time I get barked at, assuming he's alive afterward.

What kind of record would you have?

Well how about a police report? You make a report the officer files it and you can pick up your copy in 2 to 3 days. You have your proof that you have a visious dog in your area threatening folks.

I'm gonna see if he knows who the dog belongs to. If he does, I'll go talk to them. If I can't get up with the owners or they don't give a rat's ass, then animal control will hear from me the next time I get barked at, assuming he's alive afterward.

Forget animal control, unless they can give you the same type of report. You need records just in case dumbo's owner shows up wanting his pound of flesh.

Guest GUTTERbOY

The point of calling animal control is to get the dog impounded and the owner fined, multiple times if necessary. Killing is a last resort, and one I'd rather avoid.

I found that bear spray is a better alternative as it shoots much further.

Counter Assault is a good brand and has a belt holster as well if you need to carry it while out in the field.

Yep, want something with distance. We used Wasp/Hornet spray when I read gas meters.

The point of calling animal control is to get the dog impounded and the owner fined, multiple times if necessary. Killing is a last resort, and one I'd rather avoid.

OK, I understand that. We don't have animal control here so I have to call the sheriff's dept. if I want something done.

As much a fan of firearms as I am, I wouldn't go straight to that level. As earlier suggested, pepper spray would be a good next option. If I have to shoot then I would want to be able to say "Yes Officer. I called animal control about these dogs. The calls were on date x and date y. I tried to find the owner (no success / no response). I tried pepper spray, and it didn't work. The dog charged me and I felt I had no choice."

Bottom line, if I ever have to pull the trigger on anything other than a paper target I want to have as much legal ammo as possible on my side for afterwards.

Guest Ctucciar
As much a fan of firearms as I am, I wouldn't go straight to that level. As earlier suggested, pepper spray would be a good next option. If I have to shoot then I would want to be able to say "Yes Officer. I called animal control about these dogs. The calls were on date x and date y. I tried to find the owner (no success / no response). I tried pepper spray, and it didn't work. The dog charged me and I felt I had no choice."

Bottom line, if I ever have to pull the trigger on anything other than a paper target I want to have as much legal ammo as possible on my side for afterwards.

+1

I just moved from Hixson to East Ridge and i always notice there are quite a few stray dogs roaming around.

I used to ride a bike through a neighborhood where this one dog was particularly vicious acting toward me as I would ride past his house. I picked up a can of "dog spray" at the bike shop (I guess it was some form of pepper spray). The next time I rode and he came after me, I filled his eyes with the spray. He immediately yellped like he'd been shot and dove his face into the grass and started trying to wipe the stuff out of his eyes. He never came after me again after that.

I've also used vinegar in a squirt gun that worked just as well the one time I used it.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I guess I could try peeing on him... but then the downside of that is that it exposes an, um, important part to attack if it doesn't work.

:rolleyes:

Didn't see Cujo out today.

Guest offroader1994

When i was about 12 or 13 i rode my bicycle alot, i had a dog that would chase anybody on a bicycle. i talked my cousins into setting a trap for the dog, one cousin rode the bike and the other drove his car with me in the passenger seat. the said dog started his chase then he stopped about the time the car got there i swung the door open and he flipped about three times and never looked cross eyed at me on my bike again.

Guest GUTTERbOY

:)

I have some experience being chased by dogs on a bicycle as well. My brother and I used to go ride around the farm paths near our house growing up. Down one of these paths lived a man by the name of Bunn Tabor. The defining characteristic of the Tabor residence was a truly amazing preponderance of canine life.

What always impressed me was that the dogs actually seemed to be organized. There would always be a few little yappy dogs near the road, serving as sentries. Once they spotted us, they'd raise the alarm over and over and over and over and over. Meanwhile the larger dogs would start emerging from behind the various vehicular hulks and join in the pursuit.

You could count on being tailed by at least ten dogs any time you went by there.

Carry a few rocks to throw at them. They will run, especially if you hit them.

Second, carry a heavy stick. Dogs are afraid of sticks.

Funny you should mention that!

A Crown bag full of small rocks,or marbles is a great device for the immediate removal of tailgaters while on bikes.

Get a tailgater,just reach in the bag,and toss rocks straight up,and they will fall perfectly on a windshield!

Please,dont ask me how I know :screwy:

Guest JeepMonkey
Funny you should mention that!

A Crown bag full of small rocks,or marbles is a great device for the immediate removal of tailgaters while on bikes.

Get a tailgater,just reach in the bag,and toss rocks straight up,and they will fall perfectly on a windshield!

Please,dont ask me how I know :screwy:

This works real well if you have a sunroof or open-top Jeep. :rofl:

As for dogs, I learned that the "dog whistles" aren't worth their weight in horsesh*t. A combat boot to the throat solved the problem though.

Edited by JeepMonkey