How many rounds to consider it reliable

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know why that round jammed - tell the full story!

(it wasn't the gun's fault)

possibly it was an oversize round of S&B. But it did feed fine in the 1911. :koolaid:

Only have ever had one auto loader that did not misfeed or fail to exit during the first box of ammo. That was my old S&W Sigma 9mm. That pistol was 100% reliable from the first round until I sold it. About 2500 rounds or so.

I have no real concern about the XD45 having any failures. And I feel better about the RIA 1911. Still not 100% confident in it. Also with the 1911 I started using grease on the rails and a dab on the barrel lugs, coincidently about that time it started running 100%. The XD is good to go with a couple of drops of rem oil.

As far as what to carry, it is about a no brainer to carry the XD over the 1911. Twice the round capacity really makes a difference in the decision.

some guns take more than others. with my glocks, they did not need any. they work right out of the box, so the count is zero. with the p3at it took two hundred for me to feel good and i had to do the f&b. with the s&w j-frame, zero rounds. each brand of gun is different.

I generally put about 400 flawless FMJ rounds through a clean gun, followed by 50-100 rounds of my intended carry ammo through the gun (dirty) before I consider carrying it. Some guns never make it. I put 2000 rounds of FMJ through a certain Kimber 1911 before I gave up trying to break it in.

Guest jackdog

400 fmj and then 100JHP that I intend to use as carry ammo. Never have had a failure with my glocks or my CZ75. Come to think of it my inexpensive RIA has been flawless as well. Maybe I'm just lucky.:rolleyes:

Guest HexHead
I

I remember the Rabbi once told a story about a guy who came in and bought a pistol. They guy was a bounty hunter or a peace officer or something, and carried for work. He takes the gun out of the box right there, slaps in a magazine and chambers a round. Holsters it and goes on his way. I guess his answer to this question would be "Zero."

Must have been a Glock, :)

:D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OttoMaddox

I have a real straight forward reason for always doing a decent test session with any new weapon.

While breaking in a Stainless Para-Ordnance P14 purchased at Guns and Ammo here in Memphis I fired 250 rounds of fmj, gave er a good cleaning and started on another 250 round string. 3 mags into it and the slide separated (broke clean in two) about an inch and a half back from the muzzle. Bushing, spring, guide rod and an inch and a half of slide go downrange with the bullet.:D

Needless to say I'm no longer a Para fan.:D

Para replaced the gun and gave me some extra pre-ban mags (This was around 2000) but I was no longer comfortable standing behind their guns.

I'm of the opinion 500 rounds of ball followed by 150 of what you intend to carry should be good.

Guest Tn.Mitch

I havent fired my new colt commander yet,the mag holds 7 rounds and 1 in pipe,gonna take awhile to run 200 to 300 rounds throught it of FMJ,the another hundred Hollow points... gonna be a long day HPIM0574.jpg

Guest Revelator

That's a nice looking sidearm and a good picture, Mitch. Thank you for not putting it on a flowery bedspread or laying it across the toilet like we sometimes get for show & tell.

Guest Tn.Mitch
That's a nice looking sidearm and a good picture, Mitch. Thank you for not putting it on a flowery bedspread or laying it across the toilet like we sometimes get for show & tell.

Thank You Kindly Sir,I layed my T-shirt on the bed and took the pic,thought red would make a good back ground color... :rolleyes:

Guest OttoMaddox
I havent fired my new colt commander yet,the mag holds 7 rounds and 1 in pipe,gonna take awhile to run 200 to 300 rounds throught it of FMJ,the another hundred Hollow points... gonna be a long day HPIM0574.jpg

That is one sexy shootin iron!

I have a pistol that had a couple of instances where the slide locked back on the last round in the magazine at around the 250 round mark. I just kind of happened out of the blue as the pistol had been perfect up until that point (and it wasn't a change in ammunition). It was a bit bothersome as this is a weapon that I had planned to carry. I continued shooting the pistol during several visits to the range and had no issues up until about the 700 round mark at which point I experienced the same type of failure ... slide locking back with one round in the magazine. At that point I was convinced that it wasn't a fluke and the pistol is back at the manufacturer for their review.

Based on this experience, I don't think I'll feel comfortable carrying a gun until I have at least 500 failure free rounds through it ... perhaps 400 range and 100 carry. Just my $.02.

For a new handgun, I first want to break it in with 500 - 600 rounds using the carry ammo. Generally, I shoot about 200 – 300 rounds per range session. Clean the gun after each range session then return to the range on another day to put another 200 – 300 rounds through the handgun.

Then put another 500 rounds over the next 2 or three range sessions using the carry ammo.

Anytime you go to the range to practice shooting or just to have fun shooting, use your carry ammo. I know this is more expensive. However if any problems start occurring, it is better to discover the problem during a range session than in SHTF moment.

:screwy:

600 rounds of quality HP costs more than I paid new for 6 of my handguns!

And 1100 rounds of it ... wow.

- OS

As I stated, yes it is more expensive. This issue and the question of this thread, is how many rounds fired reliably is considered acceptable for use in your handgun?

My response to this question for consideration is that I would always want to use the carry ammo at all times to make sure the handgun continues to shoot reliably with that particular brand and type of ammo after the break-in or testing of ammo.

I don't mean for the next statement to come across as harsh, however it makes the point I am trying to make on this topic.

I value my life more than the cost of ammo.

Of course, each person will decide what makes them feel confident in their handgun and ammo. :D

Guest bkelm18
What are the chances of having a malfuntion after 200 rounds of carry ammo?

Probably about the same as before 200 rnds of carry ammo. There really isn't a magical number after which it is 100% reliable. Its just what you feel comfortable with.

Anytime you go to the range to practice shooting or just to have fun shooting, use your carry ammo. I know this is more expensive. However if any problems start occurring, it is better to discover the problem during a range session than in SHTF moment.

I personally fid this advice silly unless one rarely shoots. Assuming you've properly tested your handgun with your carry ammo, it doesn't matter. If it helps you sleep better wasting money on more expensive ammo for punching holes in paper after you're comfortable with the fact that your carry ammo runs well through your handgun, then by all means do so, but calling it necessary is silly to those of us who have fired thousands and thousands of rounds through our handguns with no issue.

I personally fid this advice silly unless one rarely shoots. Assuming you've properly tested your handgun with your carry ammo, it doesn't matter. If it helps you sleep better wasting money on more expensive ammo for punching holes in paper after you're comfortable with the fact that your carry ammo runs well through your handgun, then by all means do so, but calling it necessary is silly to those of us who have fired thousands and thousands of rounds through our handguns with no issue.

The reason I make the recommendation to use the carry ammo at all times is to recognize a problem has started. An example is a friend was having FTF/FTE issues with hollow points that previously worked in his handgun. To be fair, I can't remember if we tested with round ball ammo when the FTF/FTE occurred due to it has been too long ago. Also I can't remember what was causing the problem, however he fixed the issue and now the gun feeds hollow points reliably.

Maybe a better compromise for those who consider my recommendation as "silly" is to retest your carry ammo the next time at the range. If you shoot 200 - 300 rounds a session, consider shooting 50 -100 rounds of your carry ammo by using all your magazines. I am not saying 50 - 100 rounds per magazine.

Maybe a better compromise for those who consider my recommendation as "silly" is to retest your carry ammo the next time at the range. If you shoot 200 - 300 rounds a session, consider shooting 50 -100 rounds of your carry ammo by using all your magazines

I think that's better advice. I tend to shoot 2-3 mags of my SD ammo every trip, then use FMJ after that.