Kent Williams stripped of GOP affiliation

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gunslinger707
So what keeps the dems from taking him under their wing....and then "POOF", back in control baby!

Can you say KING JIMMY Look's like this has been a perfect SETUP!!

Guest GLOCKGUY

Now that the republicans are not in charge they can go into the next election with a mandate for change and let everyone know that the democrats are in charge and specifically Kent Williams and Jimmy Naifeh.

I do not care about a persons party affiliation. A lot of what Ihave read about Williams is he appeared to be more of an independent then either a Dem or Republican.

I think the Repub's are upset that he sort of outsmarted them in this whole business with being Speaker.

There is no loyalty in politics. Thats what makes me chuckle when there is inference that Williams is/was a disloyal republican

I do not care about a persons party affiliation. A lot of what Ihave read about Williams is he appeared to be more of an independent then either a Dem or Republican.

I think the Repub's are upset that he sort of outsmarted them in this whole business with being Speaker.

There is no loyalty in politics. Thats what makes me chuckle when there is inference that Williams is/was a disloyal republican

+1

I'm not a R, but if I were one of his constituents, I'd feel lied to and betrayed.

Isn't that the core issue here?

Guest jackdog

+1

Guest GUTTERbOY
now that the republicans are not in control will there be a new vote for the speaker or is that out of the question?

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know, but I don't see any reason why there would be a new vote for the Speaker, nor why such a vote would necessarily change anything.

Regardless of what side of the aisle you align yourself with, Williams will always be known as betraying his party and this will be a distraction until the day he goes home. He has no respect now in my opinion. This will only hurt the business of the House.

now that the republicans are not in control will there be a new vote for the speaker or is that out of the question?

Not that I know of. He was elected Speaker for the entire 2 year session. Although it is usually along party lines it doesn't have to be, it is simply whoever receives a majority of the vote regardless if they are R, D or I or whatever the make up of Rs, Ds or Is that vote for them.

It simply means that current make up of the house is 49 R - 49 D - 1 I Unless he joins the D party...but with committee assignments already made, not sure if it would really affect anything either way.

So what keeps the dems from taking him under their wing....and then "POOF", back in control baby!

and the difference now is?

He didn't out smart anyone. He got used. The Dems won't have anything to do with him once his usefulness is over (which has happened) and he sure ain't gonna get any support from the Rep. Heck it was his own sister that tried to tell the GOP about his defection! He better enjoy his miserable time in Nashville because it will be short lived.

To me, that's precisely the attitude that got us into this kind of mess in the first place.

there IS loyalty in politics. just like there is in regular life.

Williams inferred that he would vote with the rest of the Republicans and that's what got HIM into that mess.

Cut throat politics are worth nothing. INTEGRITY is what we need in our public servants...not cutthroat politics.

just my 2 cents...

Eph 6:14 Stand, therefore, with truth like a belt around your waist, righteousness like armor on your chest,

Eph 6:15 and your feet sandaled with readiness for the gospel of peace.

I quote this first because the man "claims" to be a Christian. I guess that is between him and God but your life does need to line up with the Word for everyone else to believe you.

The belt of TRUTH is what everything hangs on and is supported by(INTEGRITY), the breastplate of righteousness is about having a pure heart and motive(PURITY), and the foundation is peace, do you really think his motive was to make peace in the state house? BTW, that is TRANQUILITY! Do ya think he has and is sharing his tranquility??

Just my views on a very sad and sorry situation for him, his family, his church and the people of TN.

I'm not a R, but if I were one of his constituents, I'd feel lied to and betrayed.

Isn't that the core issue here?

it might be the core issue as expressed by the Republican party. But I firmly believe the Repubs are just mad that they got one upped in their first chance to be in charge. And they were still in charge, but acting like 10 year olds cause their handpicked boy got slapped down.

I guess we will know how his constituents feel next time he runs.

Personally I like a guy who is a free thinker.

To me, that's precisely the attitude that got us into this kind of mess in the first place.

Williams inferred that he would vote with the rest of the Republicans and that's what got HIM into that mess.

quote]

I thought Williams said he would vote Republican, not that he would vote for Mumpower. The Repubs assumed he would vote for their boy.

Partisan politics is how the partys want things to be in spite of what they preach. If there were no political partys this would be a better place to be.

Not that he has had a chance to do much of anything yet but he appears to be more of a friend to gun owners that the previous speaker is.

Guest malbolja

They're already in control. Jimmy is pulling the strings on the Williams puppet.

I'm surprised anyone would assert that it's okay for politicians to be scumbags since that's what everyone expects them to be. Perhaps this attitude is part of the problem with politics.

I thought Williams said he would vote Republican, not that he would vote for Mumpower. The Repubs assumed he would vote for their boy.

I've heard it 3 ways depending on who you ask.

He said.....

1. ...he would vote for Munpower (Don't think he ever actually said that)

2. ...he would vote Republican (That is what he did, but I don't think that is exactly what he said either)

3. ...he would vote for the Republican Candidate (Which is what I think he actually said and did not do.)

But I agree it is pretty much semantics. Depending on what he actually said, he may or may not have kept his word, but he did what he intended to which is be vague enough to stay unnoticed till it was too late.

As far as him being kicked out of the Republican Party...I really don't think it will make any difference on any of the bills we are interested in. I believe he is still going to do whatever he was before. Of course from what we are reading now...he may not as open to some legislation as we first thought.

That really goes back to the Speaker's position itself, regardless of what party affiliation the Speaker is. I think it is simply ridiculous that one person can have so much power that he alone can decided if a bill moves through committee or not....but anyway....what were talking about? :koolaid:

quote]

Partisan politics is how the partys want things to be in spite of what they preach. If there were no political partys this would be a better place to be.

Not that he has had a chance to do much of anything yet but he appears to be more of a friend to gun owners that the previous speaker is.

It was my understanding that he gave his pledge to vote for Jason Mumpower. the problem came when he pulled his stunt.

I also agree that if there were no parties, politics would be a better place...

I don't think he's a friend of gun owners. he indicated on a 2005 questionaire that he favored outright licensing of firearms. He doesn't support carry in parks or large cities "because there are criminal elements there"...I think he's a disaster and a jacka$$. but hey..I'm just going by what the man says..and we all know that's not accurate.

:D

For me, I'd really like to know his motives behind the stunt. Does he sincerely think Mumpower is a nitwit and not suited for the job? If so then he may be standing by his convictions and think that he can actually do a better job. That, I could accept.

However, I really just think that he wanted the power trip and played his hand. I think he is probably the nitwit and didn't have the vision to see how this would all play out.

Regardless, he will be a one time wonder. Guaranteed the Repubs won't vote for him again as Speaker, and if the Dems get majority back, no way they will vote for him either. Without the R in front of his name on the ballot, I doubt he'll get re-elected, and it is doubtful the Dems would put him on their ticket.

What is the reaction from Williams' constituents regarding his little stunt to become Speaker?

Someone may have posted it, and I may have missed it. Just curious as to what they think about everything that has happened.

My understanding is that they love him in his district, at least that is what the Tennessean reported the Carter County GOP leader intimated. The county leader stated he understood why the state party did what they did, but that the local Republicans were pleased with Williams and wish the state leadership had consulted them about their feelings toward Williams before ousting him. Whether this is simply the warm afterglow of "favorite-son-done-good" or something more substantial, I have no idea.