Thanks Joe! CMMG .22lr Conversion Kit for AR

BrandonTN

My girlfriend and I took a little day trip up to Monteagle yesterday to take in the nice weather, do a little exploring and also take a short detour to visit Joe at Hero Gear in Winchester. My main objective was to purchase a CMMG .22lr conversion kit and also have my girlfriend check out some handguns. First of all, I want to thank Joe for taking quite a bit of time to show my girlfriend a wide selection of handguns and basically let her choose what she liked best. She was put at ease by this service and is debating between the M&P or XDm. She also liked how no one at HG tried to push any specific gun on her and all in all it was a great experience for her. I know we will definitely be back to purchase one or the other when she is ready.

My other purchase and the real point of this post was my CMMG kit. For the price, IMHO, this kit can not be beat. I put about 250 rounds of Federal bulk pack (the brown brick from WM) through it with no issues whatsoever. Accuracy was better than expected, but I felt I would have a better idea if I had a chance to shoot on the 50 yd. range. Prentice Cooper was packed and the only open table was on the 100 yd range. A quick change of the bolt and I was back to putting .223 down range. I couldn't be happier with this purchase and I would recommend anyone with a .225/5.56 to pick one of these up for plinking or just to save some money on the cost of ammo. The BlackDog mags that come with these kits are also super stout.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what was the cost? I've been wanting a 22lr conversion but everyone seems to be out of stock or over priced.

~$200

I had seriously considered a dedicated .22lr upper, but for the time being, they were a bit out of my price range. I figured that good .223 is around $.40 a round and the .22lr that I use is around $.025 a round. If I did my math correctly, this conversion kit will have paid for itself after shooting a brick (around 55 rounds).

:shake:

TGO Benefactor price on the kit is 189.00 and we have had nothing but outstanding reviews on these.

Sorry to ask an ignorant question, but if it's not a complete upper, what is it? Link or info, please?

Yah, I'm an AR newbie...

Sorry to ask an ignorant question, but if it's not a complete upper, what is it? Link or info, please?

Yah, I'm an AR newbie...

The kit consists of a new bolt and a magazine.

You remove your BCG, install this new one, insert the dedicated magazine, and you are ready to go.

I will take pictures of the kit tomorrow when I get to work to help you visual what I am talking about.

The kit consists of a new bolt and a magazine.

You remove your BCG, install this new one, insert the dedicated magazine, and you are ready to go.

I will take pictures of the kit tomorrow when I get to work to help you visual what I am talking about.

Wow, that's awesome.

Yah, I'm an AR newbie...

Its basically a replacement bolt carrier group that allows you to chamber and shoot .22lr. The swap is super easy...obviously make sure your weapon is unloaded then just push in your rear take-down pin and pivot your AR open. Pull the charging handle halfway out, remove the stock BCG and slide in the CMMG conversion. Push everything in, fold the rifle together and push your take-down pin back in. Now you're ready to shoot .22lr with the included mag.

EDIT: Well Joe beat me to the description, but here are a couple pics.

IMG_0237.jpg

Edited by BrandonTN
TGO Benefactor price on the kit is 189.00 and we have had nothing but outstanding reviews on these.

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and love it. I have used several kinds of ammo to include SSS 60 grain, Some body owes me a ice cream cone or sandwich.:cheers::shake:

Guest abailey362

i got one of these last week and just got to take it out today. Install is so easy an armed caveman can do it, and it ran great. put about 200 rds or so through it today without a single issue.

I highly recommend that anyone with an AR pick one of these up.

• 3 weeks later...

*bump*

Picked up the CMMG conversion from HeroGear today (big thanks to Joe for holding it for me as he promised - apparently he could have sold it 10X over in the last two weeks. Two diff sales guys said "OH! You're the guy he's holding this for!", hehehe). Haven't had the chance to try it out yet, but will soon and will report back.

Thanks again, Joe!

*bump*

Picked up the CMMG conversion from HeroGear today (big thanks to Joe for holding it for me as he promised - apparently he could have sold it 10X over in the last two weeks. Two diff sales guys said "OH! You're the guy he's holding this for!", hehehe). Haven't had the chance to try it out yet, but will soon and will report back.

Thanks again, Joe!

Sorry I missed you today.

I was up in Nashville at a big NRA meeting.

Enjoy the kit, and hope to see you soon!

(how does your old man like his revolver we sold him last summer?)

Sorry I missed you today.

I was up in Nashville at a big NRA meeting.

Enjoy the kit, and hope to see you soon!

Will do, and you will!

(how does your old man like his revolver we sold him last summer?)

He and my mom have outright murdered a few tree stumps with it so far, and now he has a rifle as well. I think with your help we'll have him in full-on gun-nut mode soon enough...

• 10 months later...