Interesting visit to the Memphis airport yesterday

Guest TNDixieGirl

Guest TNDixieGirl

My 15 yr old son flew to Phoenix yesterday out of the Memphis airport. (and I miss him already) icon_frown.gif<!--graemlin::D-->

What blew my mind most was going through the security checkpoint. Knowing what is allowed and what isn't, I locked my gun up in the trunk before I went in. I knew before they even scanned my handbag that they would search it because they'd see the outline of the built-in holster. Sure enough, I was pulled over to the side.

My bag has a total of 5 zippered compartments. 2 on top, 1 on each side, and 1 on the end. He opened and emptied the top 2 compartments, found a lighter I'd forgotten was in there, confiscated it, put all my belongings back in the bag and I was free to go.

Not once did he open the other 3 zippers (2 on the side and 1 on the very end of the bag), one of which is the gun compartment, to see if I was carrying a weapon. I almost pointed out to him that he hadn't checked the whole bag, but I figured I should keep my mouth shut. Then when I was walking to the gate I went to reach for my cell phone which is stored in an open pocket, absolutely visible to anyone looking, in one end of the bag, and I realized he didn't even look in there and find my cigarettes and yet another lighter I had forgotten was there.

My son was also pulled to the side so they could inspect his bowling ball bag he was carrying on the plane with him.

So everyone can rest easier now knowing how very thorough the security checks are at the airports. I could have conceivably gone through that entire airport sporting a weapon in my bag.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The un-secure area of air-ports are not restricted from carry (unless properly posted)... I've never been to Memphis, but the Nashville airport wasn't properly posted, last time I was there.

You did good to leave your piece in the car, since you entered the 'sanitary' area... which, as you found, wasn't really that much more secure.

I used to love travelling by air... and did so frequently. But, I have only flown twice since 9-11. Now, I drive.

I think the airport has the circle slash sign saying no guns.

I know that isn't "legal" but then again, I don't want the hassle, though it appears that you could have gone all the way to the plane with your gun in your handbag thanks to this idiot.

Question though what does :

The Smith & Wesson '.357'-calibre revolver was allegedly loaded with six bullets, five of which were coated with Teflon.

have to do with the price of Tea in China concerning a FELON in possession of a firearm?

P.S. Dixie, congratulations on making it into and out of that neighborhood safely without having to use your firearm.

Guest GT_Rat
This is why we should be able to carry anywhere: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CWU/is_2003_May_14/ai_101702220

No way I should be foreced to trust the TSA to defend my life!

Not that I disagree but it looks like they caught him right where they should have. They picked it up in his bag at the x-ray machine at the security checkpoint. I think the article is misleading saying he was "about to board."

Guest macho999

I always thought the "terrorist watch list" was good for a laugh.

"I'm sorry sir but we have reason to believe you are a terrorist. Please leave the airport and go out amongst the general populace where you can do no harm."

I'm no terrorism expert but I don't think the plane is so crucial that they are incapable of terrorist acts without it.

Not that I disagree but it looks like they caught him right where they should have. They picked it up in his bag at the x-ray machine at the security checkpoint. I think the article is misleading saying he was "about to board."

While this is true... he obviously had access to most areas of the airport while armed.

What if someone like him did this, but was smart enough to avoid having his firearm x-rayed?

What a joke. TSA has done nothing but enlarge the govt payroll and make flying even more unbearable to the general public. Recent studies show TSA still misses lots of stuff at the x-ray machine, as DixieGirl found out. Meanwhile I got the big hassle once for having a pair of tweezers in my carry on. It was part of a cheapo gift set I got from some town I visited on business. Those tweezers could not kill an ant, much less disable an airplane/flight crew member.

I love flying, I've been a pilot since I was 16 years old. But I hate "air travel." Its no more secure than before 9/11, yet way more annoying. A buddy of mine is a captain for one of the majors, every time he tells me a story, I get the urge to stay home or take the bus...

Grumble, grumble, grumble...

Guest GT_Rat
While this is true... he obviously had access to most areas of the airport while armed.

What if someone like him did this, but was smart enough to avoid having his firearm x-rayed?

Like I said, I don't disagree. If he had decided to go ballistic in the security line and start blasting away there he would have done plenty of damage. And there is nothing to prevent him from getting creative enough to find a way to not get the gun x-rayed and get it past the metal detector without setting anything off. But in this case they did pick him up where they should have.

And I believe it was the Mythbusters that proved that a gun (9mm or .45 I think) would not cause a plane cabin to instantly decompress causing the plane to fall to the ground.

I don't fly because I don't like take offs and landings. Maybe one day if I ever get the urge I will work on my private pilots license. Then it wouldn't be so bad, I just don't like not being in control of the situation.

Guest Phantom6
Saints, rumor has it that Teflon makes bullets magically zoom through LE vests and turns even worthless 25 caliber rounds into cop killer bullets. :angel:

I'm glad you explained that cause all this time I wuz a thinkin' that they put teflon on 'em to keep the egg from stinkin' to 'em if'n you shot a guy in the mouth while he wuz eatin' a Egg McMuffin.

Things are much clearer now.