Single Shot SKS?

Westwindmike

Any SKS shooters here?

Just wondering if you can safely shoot the SKS without its gas piston. This would turn it into a "bolt action". I'm starting to reload for the SKS and want to save my brass, and rather than have it sent into the next county, I could fire, work bolt, drop brass on table, fire again.

I know the Yugo SKS guys just turn off the gas system and do the same thing.

Anybody else here load for the SKS or cast their own boolits for it?

Thanks,

Coop

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Astra900

Cast bullets are kind of a no no, even if you use a gas check, you are chancing it. Leading up the gas port will be the probable result and a real SOB to clean out.

As far as shooting a non Yugo with out the Gas piston...I wouldn't. You would most likely get a nice little face of gas. The Yugo is great with it's cut off isn't it?:doh: My Yugo AK will do the same thing.

Cast bullets are kind of a no no, even if you use a gas check, you are chancing it. Leading up the gas port will be the probable result and a real SOB to clean out.

That doesn't seem to be the opinion of the majority of folks over at

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

They seem to shoot CB's in their SKS's with no problems at all.

As to the face full of gas, where does the gas go if the piston is installed? Same place, gas tube. Please explain your experience with these two things.

Mike

Guest Astra900

Well the face of the piston absorbs the pressure of the gas, then diverts it through the vent holes in your hand guard as it makes it's rearward journey. If the piston isn't there, I would think the gas would continue straight back with nothing to diffuse the pressure. I wouldn't want to gamble on the empty hand guard being able to contain ALL the pressure sufficiently enough to keep it out of your face.

As far as the cast bullet thing, I know that argument. Some will fight to the death over it. YES, I believe you can do it, YES I believe some people have excellent results with it. I should have been more clear, that it was my opinion that it was a bad Idea [and my opinions mean very little]. NOW, if you really wanted to stick with the whole straight pull bolt action thing what difference would leadin make anyway? The last Yugo I had, I shot it on single shot most of the time. I never loaded for it, but I bought Federal eagle or Fiocchi ammo for it. I noticed that when I shot it on single shot mode, I got noticeably better accuracy. I think the biggest factor there was no harmonics. No parts slapping around. And maybe, just a teeny bit due to the fact that not pressure was lost from the gas port. I dunno about that last part though, that's only a piss poor theory:D

I had a thought as i was typing this. I hope I can explain it.

You know the op-rod that the gas piston pushes? The spring loaded part in your rear sight base that actually makes contact with the bolt carrier? Well, if you were to order another one, I'm thinking you could cut it off short and reinstall it. It would need to be long enough that it wouldn't get bound in the spring, and the tip may even need to be cut on a taper so it would move freely. If the op rod was shortened, when the gas piston pushed it back, it wouldn't be long enough to move the carrier and bolt out of battery. Effectively rendering it a single shot. :screwy:Yeah I know, but it's a thought:D

When I first got my sks, the gas tube was mis-sized for the gas block that was installed. That or the gas block had rusted and been brushed clean.. repeatedly.

First few days it was a bolt action. All the gas was escaping around the block/gas tube connection. Never even felt the escaping gas.. my hand never wandered that far forward.

I've done it without the piston a few times too, never had an ill effects from it. With the receiver-side plug still in place and a tight gas tube I'd imagine the tube would just pressurize, then release back through the barrel as the bullet passed. IE, do what it does with the piston there just without any motion. Its not like the piston makes any sort of seal inside the tube..