TN permit renewal

Guest bolonow

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Major Pain
That is my understanding as well.

It must be original documents and they will not be mailed back.

Unless it is extremely inconvenient, I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't renew in person anyway. It is the one way to know you will still be able to carry no matter how long it takes before the new permit is sent to you.

I mailed my renewal in with birth certificate and they mailed me a receipt that said I could use until my permit arrived and a few days later my birth certificate was mailed back to me. Policy change?--MP

I mailed my renewal in with birth certificate and they mailed me a receipt that said I could use until my permit arrived and a few days later my birth certificate was mailed back to me. Policy change?--MP

Well that's good.

Very possible a policy change and/or the original statement was not actual policy.

There has been more than one case of the website, the person on the phone and the person at the station all saying 3 different things.

Good to see they are mailing back receipts though...that is new...guess it is a sign of the times of how long a renewal can take though.

• 4 weeks later...

I applied for renewal in early January. Called this week , thought 2 months would be plenty of time to get a renewal back.

I do not know where my copy of the application is now.

The lady at the TDS told me that I would be ok as long as I have the receipt!!

Oh no!

Be sure you file the application and receipt in a safe place!

I am waiting for my renewal as well; reality is that all renewals are being put through background check because of problems with issuing HCPs to those with orders of protection against them.

NOT fault of DOS; state law does not have mechanism for taking handguns from those with HCPs who have orders of protection issued against them.

State house is looking at the situation. Head of the THP notes that there needs to be central database listing those with HCPs who have orders of protection so proper steps may be taken.

30 days and counting on renewal. aint going to bother me. have receipt stamped "good until permit received". just for a side note when i first took class and the sheriff had control it took 8 months for my son and i to get ours.

Guest hickok

I plan to submit mine about six months out. I looked over what it requires to renew the things. Seems odd that once you have it and have submitted the Birth Certificate and proof of residence, that you have to dig up all that stuff again.

Guest KWW67

Sounds like the best policy is to renew 6 mos early the first time. Then it should work out every year thereafter. In other words, you get screwed out of six months your first permit year.:shrug:

Guest DJBiker
I seriously disagree with that statement, I know several people that it would scare the **** out of me if they were allowed to carry a gun!

They are probably already carrying, without any permit. Those kind of people don't worry about being legal.

I plan to submit mine about six months out. I looked over what it requires to renew the things. Seems odd that once you have it and have submitted the Birth Certificate and proof of residence, that you have to dig up all that stuff again.

you better take a copy of the law that states you can renew up to 6 months before it runs out. they turned my son away at 5. tried to turn me down at 4 but i had a copy of the law.:wave:

I'll be working out of the US when my permit expires so I've started early to get the paperwork to get it renewed. My daughters in Chattanooga were told that I had to do it in person, that it can't be done by mail, they can't pick up papers for me, etc. No mercy, no exceptions.

I emailed the official email address for the Handgun Permit Office and was answered by a very professional, polite lady named Sarah Jean Simpson. She answered all my questions, immediately understood my situation, and is helping me renew my license when others said it couldn't be done, and didn't want to mess with it. Kudos to her for her professionalism! There are good state employees!

Cherokee Slim

Guest Loaded247

I renewed mine on 12-16-08. I called on 3-10-09, and was told that it had been processed on 3-9-09, and that I should receive it in 10 to 14 days. Well, it arrived on 3-14-09, so all in all, my renewal took about 3 months.