TN permit renewal

Guest bolonow

Guest bolonow

Just a quick question. My Tennessee permit expires 16 February, 2009. I began the renewal process December 18, 2008. Still no renewed license. I called dept. of safety, who said the are backed up and if I had the receipt for the renewal, I'd be ok and the will get them out ASAP.

Has anyone else had a similar experience. Just wondered if there had been a recent (post election) surge in applications or what.

Edited by bolonow
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick question. My Tennessee permit expires 16 February, 2009. I began the renewal process December 18, 2008. Still no renewed license. I called dept. of safety, who said the are backed up and if I had the receipt for the renewal, I'd be ok and the will get them out ASAP.

Has anyone else had a similar experience. Just wondered if there had been a recent (post election) surge in applications or what.

It's consistently reported here that renewals take MUCH longer than initial permits. Seems to average well over 90 days.

Keep your orig. permit AND renewal receipt in wallet - you're good to go with both indefinitely.

- OS

It's consistently reported here that renewals take MUCH longer than initial permits. Seems to average well over 90 days.

Keep your orig. permit AND renewal receipt in wallet - you're good to go with both indefinitely.

- OS

Yessir. That's the drill. I think many of us here have been in the same place as you in the past year and this is the SOP.

My wife mailed her stuff and it took around four months to get it back. I went to the DMV and did mine it didnt take too long at all but I did mine a while before she had to and I think some of the process changed in between as they found out too many were getting renewed that were no longer eligible ie. they done something bad and could no longer legally carry but were slipping through and getting there renewals because of poor comunication between departments.

Guest I_AM_WOOD

went today to renew mine, expired Jan 12, 09. I was told by the nice old lady at the DMV that since it was expired that I could not use the receipt and expired permit as a valid permit. any one know if she is right or if I have been misinformed?

went today to renew mine, expired Jan 12, 09. I was told by the nice old lady at the DMV that since it was expired that I could not use the receipt and expired permit as a valid permit. any one know if she is right or if I have been misinformed?

That is correct according to TNDOS site.

At least you didn't wait 6 months - you would have had to have done the entire process again, including school.

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/renewals.htm

- OS

Guest johnmattwill

Not to highjack the tread, but why do you have to show your Birth Certificate, AGAIN, upon renewal....????

I was born in the US the first time I applied, that wont change. Isnt showing it the first time good enough??????

She is correct.

Not to highjack the tread, but why do you have to show your Birth Certificate, AGAIN, upon renewal....????

I was born in the US the first time I applied, that wont change. Isnt showing it the first time good enough??????

First time was for proof of age.

Due to a new law effective July 1, 2005 it now has to be show as proof of citizenship. After showing it this time, it will not be required for this purpose again.

I guess the first time it probably wasn't recorded anywhere that your birth certificate was used to prove your age as opposed to some other document, so now we have to show it again.

As I was informed

Renew by mail they keep Birth Cert.

Bring it in it is handed back to you.

I think mine ran 10 dollars mailed

and DMV is down my street.

That is my understanding as well.

It must be original documents and they will not be mailed back.

Unless it is extremely inconvenient, I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't renew in person anyway. It is the one way to know you will still be able to carry no matter how long it takes before the new permit is sent to you.

I went to renew mine yesterday and was told I had to bring my birth certificate to renew. They did not even check to see if it was on file. which it is .They just refused to look. I also was the only person in the place and they made me take a number and wait to be called up to be assisted by one of the 4 people working the desk. Then I was given a form to fill out to renew my DL even though I told them HCP. Filled it out and then they told me "I" filled out the wrong form. I love my government they make my life so much less stressful. Off my soap box now. Good for another 4 years now.

it had to do with the background checks were not being run on renewals from what i heard. permits were issued to people who had a permit but were no longer eligible to retain them. others were sliding through the cracks as mentioned above too. i read about this almost a year ago.

You are correct; I called yesterday about my renewal and was told that the state is now doing background checks on all renewals because there were some persons who had gotten HCPs who were not supposed to have them, thus, the renewal process has slowed down.

Guest Chandler

Renewed mine on Dec 13 and still not here. I have the receipt as well. I had a notorized copy of my BC and they didnt take it , so I just came back the same day with my passport and didnt have any problems.