Ruger SP101 Holster

Guest JeepMonkey

Guest JeepMonkey

I'm looking for a new holster for my SP101 .38 Spl. +P (2.25" barrel). I have a right-hand draw and prefer belt holsters since I have a size 30 waist and anything I stick inside my waistband is far more noticable than anything on my belt. I carry either on my back or right side.

I'm leaning towards one of these as of now: http://www.opticsplanet.net/bianchi-105-minimalist-with-slots-holster-plain-black-right-hand-19490.html. Any other ideas?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JeepMonkey

Thanks for the suggestions, but the first one is way too big for someone as skinny as I am and I don't like how far forward the second one leans the butt. I prefer the barrel to be pointed as close to straight down as possible, no matter if it is on my side or back.

I have the Galco Speedmaster holster for my SP101. Very concealable. I like it.

...but the first one is way too big for someone as skinny as I am...

I don't know what gun is pictured on the Galco site, but the SP101 Speedmaster I have is quite small. It only measures about 6" end to end, and 5" top to bottom.

Edited by Reservoir Dog
Thanks for the suggestions, but the first one is way too big for someone as skinny as I am and I don't like how far forward the second one leans the butt. I prefer the barrel to be pointed as close to straight down as possible, no matter if it is on my side or back.

That Speed Master isn't that big when you get a look at it first hand to be honest, but if you want something smaller, and that has a less aggressive forward cant, you could try this:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=1081&GunID=171

I'm not the world's biggest fan of paddle holsters, but that seems to fit the bill for what you're after. FWIW, three years ago, when I was a lot skinnier after a major injury and some surgery to correct it, I had a 32" waist and would IWB carry my XD-9 without any issues. Or OWB in the XD version of the second holster I linked above. It was just a matter of what clothes I wore and what I wore for a cover shirt.

my fav maker, D.M. Bullard, offers the "Combat" OWB, very little cant as opposed to his "Undercover/Bodyguard" OWB.

And yes, he'll do it in black.

Neither of these is for SP101, but you get the idea.

He'll also add the "Bodyguard" body shield strip on request.

33281990_scaled_240x197.JPG

33270042_scaled_367x384.JPG

How much does that run in black, both with and without the bodyguard strap?

Somewhere around $55 for basic holster, another 5 or 10 bucks each for the bodyguard addition and/or making it black.

The bodyguard thing is what you see behind slide in my avatar pic. Would just maybe help to keep it from digging into your side as these OWBs pull in pretty close.

EDIT: Bodyguard feature not available for revolvers, I see. Guess he thinks it's not needed.

Best part is, get holster in a week or so, maybe extra week for the black, best I remember.

http://dmbullardleather.com

You can look in the store section for exact pricing.

I actually have IWB of his for my SP101, but don't use it for EDC anymore.

ruger-bullard-sm.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Very nice. On a side note, where did you find the wood inserts for your SP101, and do they come in a dark walnut?

See my note re bodyguard feature in edited post above.

Got the inserts pretty reasonable from guy on eBay who makes them, username is: dakins7579

Depending on what's he's got running, I've seen all kinds of wood, some exotic some fairly plain, like mine, which are just red oak, and got them for under $20.

- OS

• 2 weeks later...

Opinions on holsters are like opinions on guns. I can only speak for my own personal preferences.

I don't like paddle holsters. I find them uncomfortable having the paddle stuck down my pants. I have seen people pull the holster out with the gun during a draw (done that myself), and I have seen the paddles break off during weapon retention exercises. I especially don't like Fobus paddle holsters. I find them to be quite flimsy.

I think you would be better suited with a good quality leather OWB holster. YMMV.

• 1 year later...