Carrying With an Out-of-State Permit

Guest JeepMonkey

Been there, done that. Last time I was in NC, my girlfriend came with me and asked why I started to disarm at an I-40 rest area in NC. I quickly remembered that those aren't off-limits there like they are here.

???

Interstate rest areas are not off-limits for carry in TN.

- OS

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen a rest stop between MEmphis and Nashville posted with any sort of sign saying you couldn't legally carry. I don't think i'd go to a rest stop unarmed....I'd just be in a hurry to use the bathroom and not notice signs and keep my handgun on me for safety...a lot of bad things can happen at rest stops.

Guest JeepMonkey

The only one I really stop at in TN is on I-81 on my way to Johnson City, and the last time I was there it was posted no carry..although the last time I was there was about two years ago; before I had my CCP's. Usually I stop at Pilot to take a whiz or wait until I get to about Hickory, NC, so I can fill up and make it on a tankful of gas.

At least you can carry a loaded rifle, shotgun, or handgun openly in NC without a permit. That is a nice thing...kind of like Louisiana and Kentucky. I guess i can't complain too much being from Arkansas and having to conceal a handgun when carrying on a license...but funny thing is you can openly or conceal carry a handgun without a license when 'on a journey'...and have a shotgun/rifle concealed or unconcealed loaded...again without a license. Each state has its pluses and minuses.

Guest JeepMonkey
At least you can carry a loaded rifle, shotgun, or handgun openly in NC without a permit. That is a nice thing...kind of like Louisiana and Kentucky. I guess i can't complain too much being from Arkansas and having to conceal a handgun when carrying on a license...but funny thing is you can openly or conceal carry a handgun without a license when 'on a journey'...and have a shotgun/rifle concealed or unconcealed loaded...again without a license. Each state has its pluses and minuses.
That's very sketchy there. The AG is super-liberal and you can be arrested for causing public panic with open carry, and all that takes is one person calling a local LE agency saying they don't believe you should be carrying. Without a CCP, you're screwed even if you are following the open carry laws. In addition, according to said AG, without a CCP there is no legally defined way to transport firearms without the threat of being arrested for unlawful carry. That was the main reason I got my CCP's.

That is a good idea to have gotten your license then. I was technically legal from 18-20 carrying on my person or car a handgun (you can carry shotguns rifles anytime) on a journey in AR...but a journey is not defined by state law...just case law in Arkansas...most AR LEO's are nice and ok with a handgun in the glovebox even if not on a journey or going to or from hunting...but it's always that one jerk that can make you have to go to court to buy back your pistol from the auction and try to plea bargain a fine with the weapons charge not going on your record. A license is much cheaper than the trouble you can go through even when legal. I used to always have a 22 pistol legal for small game hunting when i wasnt truly traveling and had a hunting license to back it up...so I was always hunting or going to hunting and even kept hunting boots in the vehicle.

Do you plan on becoming a TN resident after graduating college? If so, I got my TN permit by basically exchanging my AR concealed handgun license when i switched out my AR Driver license for a new TN license when moving here. It was fairly simple..I got to keep my AR CHL and use it until my TN permit came in the mail. I didn't have to take the TN class or get fingerprinted because i already went through a similar class and fingerprinting in Arkansas.

Edited by 270win
.... I got my TN permit by basically exchanging my AR concealed handgun license when i switched out my AR Driver license for a new TN license when moving here...

That's really the only diff between states with reciprocity and states that recognize. If the state has reciprocal agreement, your new TN HCP is handled as a "renewal", rather than having to do the process from scratch.

- OS

Guest JeepMonkey

Yeah, I had planned on using the NH permit once I establish residency to do that. I will probably establish residency my senior year so I can escape NC's income tax on my AF basic pay. :up:

OK let me be clear on this? Other states allow people that are under 21 to get a handgun permit, but they can't purchase ammo or a firearm from an FFL under Federal Law.

I'm not a lawyer, but this seems like a no go to me. I understand that TN says "honor it's terms" and all on a permit from another state, but it would seem that carrying under 21 in this state with an out-of-state permit would be one of those things that defaults to our set of rules. Things like restaurant carry, etc.

Just seems like it would be a big legal issue, especially for most street cops that aren't gonna know. I know and deal with firearm laws a fair bit and honestly this is the first I've ever heard of a state issuing a permit to or allowing anyone under 21 to carry a loaded handgun.

That's really the only diff between states with reciprocity and states that recognize. If the state has reciprocal agreement, your new TN HCP is handled as a "renewal", rather than having to do the process from scratch.

- OS

The only difference is the cost. You still have to sit through the class and go to the range.

The only difference is the cost. You still have to sit through the class and go to the range.

Not always. It depends on the state your carry permit is from. If that state's requirements are substantially similar to TN requirements, all you have to do apply as a renewal. No class is needed.

If your state does not require training, or fingerprinting, then you pretty much have to go through the whole process here in TN.

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/apprequirements.htm

Guest Loaded247

When I relocated from KY to TN back in 2004, I simply transferred my KY permit over to TN. I still had to pay the full $115, but I didn't have to take a class or go to the range.

I paid $50 renewal fee and the highway patrol people took a photocopy of my AR concealed handgun license. It was a very easy process. I had to take a class, qualify on a range, be fingerprinted with cards (TN is much better from what i've heard with electronic prints), and wait two months in Arkansas. Our paperwork was also 10 pages...every page had to be notarized. License cost close to $150 and class $100 and you must qualify with a semi auto if you want to carry a semi auto. Then requalify every now five years. TN has a much better licensing system than AR. I do miss though using my AR CHL for a background check substitute when buying guns from a dealer. AR requires by law background checks every year on licensees...so that is my understanding why AR CHL qualifies as a NICS substitute and TN carry permit does not.

OK, mine was FL. No practical required, that's why. I stand corrected and again learned something from TGO. :)

Well, I did too.

I thought that any state "reciprocal" w/ TN was a simple renewal type transaction. I see now that it varies to price, fingerprinting, class or not, etc.

All depending on the other states' original requirements for issue.

And to JeepMonkey, using your New Hampshire permit to change to TN one isn't gonna save you any money, or save you any steps, you have to do the whole process.

So it's still moot as to exactly how a "reciprocal" state differs from a "recognizing" state in a practical sense.

- OS

Guest Revelator
OK let me be clear on this? Other states allow people that are under 21 to get a handgun permit, but they can't purchase ammo or a firearm from an FFL under Federal Law.

I'm not a lawyer, but this seems like a no go to me. I understand that TN says "honor it's terms" and all on a permit from another state, but it would seem that carrying under 21 in this state with an out-of-state permit would be one of those things that defaults to our set of rules. Things like restaurant carry, etc.

Just seems like it would be a big legal issue, especially for most street cops that aren't gonna know. I know and deal with firearm laws a fair bit and honestly this is the first I've ever heard of a state issuing a permit to or allowing anyone under 21 to carry a loaded handgun.

I raised this same issue in my earlier post, and I believe restaurant carry and those types of laws are a different ball of wax from the specific terms of an out of state permit. The law says you have to look to the terms of the other state permit. It obviously doesn't say anything about sustituting entire laws from that state.

I don't know New Hampshire law and I have no desire to, but it doesn't sound too crazy that they'd let 18-20 year-olds carry. I guess they figured, hey, let the kids buy their guns from private sellers, and let mom and dad buy them ammo. This is New Hamphire, remember. Their state motto is Live Free or Die.

Guest JeepMonkey
I don't know New Hampshire law and I have no desire to, but it doesn't sound too crazy that they'd let 18-20 year-olds carry. I guess they figured, hey, let the kids buy their guns from private sellers, and let mom and dad buy them ammo. This is New Hamphire, remember. Their state motto is Live Free or Die.
Their carry laws are a bit more relaxed than TN's are. Pretty much the only place you cannot carry is in a courthouse. I was up there this summer and couldn't stop smiling the first time I was able to carry in TGI Fridays. :D
Well, I did too.

I thought that any state "reciprocal" w/ TN was a simple renewal type transaction. I see now that it varies to price, fingerprinting, class or not, etc.

All depending on the other states' original requirements for issue.

And to JeepMonkey, using your New Hampshire permit to change to TN one isn't gonna save you any money, or save you any steps, you have to do the whole process.

So it's still moot as to exactly how a "reciprocal" state differs from a "recognizing" state in a practical sense.

- OS

In the case of TN and HCPs reciprocal just means there is a written agreement between the two states to honor each others permits.

When carry laws were just starting that is almost the only way your permit was good in another state.

Now some states, including TN simply recognize all other state permits. Even those that don't recognize all other state permits may recognize another states permit without a written agreement between the two states.

Guest mcclearypl

I would have to say the reciprocity agreement would have the last word. And it says that a valid permit issued by a state that TN has a written reciprocity agreement with shall be seen as valid in Tennessee. I do not it see stated anywhere that you would need a reciprocity agreement plus a further requirement of 21 years of age.

Thats my take on it. Please remember that this advise is worth as much as you paid for it. Live life accordingly.

Peace

Oh duh...the few ones in TN I have stopped at, however, were posted that I couldn't carry.

This was discussed and resolved here: http://www.tfaonline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=260

To: <johnharris@tennesseefirearms.com>

Cc: "E.Sue Melton" <E.Sue.Melton@state.tn.us>

Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 11:41 AM

Subject: Re: Tennessee Rest Stops

Mr. Harris:

In a recent effort to post signs reminding our employees about the TDOT

policy prohibiting firearms in the workplace for safety reasons, signs

were inadvertently placed in Welcome Centers and Rest Areas in

Tennessee. As soon as this matter was brought to our attention, the

signs were ordered removed from all Welcome Centers and Rest Areas.