The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Um...have you ever had the 23 year?

I didn't understand until I had that year and then I understood 100%.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Multiple times.....I have a client in Lexington that's pretty well connected when in comes to bourbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Multiple times.....I have a client in Lexington that's pretty well connected when in comes to bourbon.

I love the 23 year. The others aren't exactly outstanding but I can understand the fascination with that specific year.

With the said, I'm not going to run out and buy a bottle of it lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
4A4F1E44-3482-4E93-A4D9-8A2D50477DFF_zps

It's been a good fall so far.
The Parkers was not so good at first. A really odd tannin taste in the finish that made me want to spit it out. After a few hours open it started to open up and now a few days into it it's pretty dang good. I'm saving the Four Roses until the holidays.

4A4F1E44-3482-4E93-A4D9-8A2D50477DFF_zps

It's been a good fall so far.
The Parkers was not so good at first. A really odd tannin taste in the finish that made me want to spit it out. After a few hours open it started to open up and now a few days into it it's pretty dang good. I'm saving the Four Roses until the holidays.

I have never had Parkers but I've read a lot about it. Supposed to be pretty good. I wish I could find Parkers Heritage 13 year.

Edited by tennesseetiger

While I wasn't able to get a 12 year...I did however get an Antique Single Barrel which I've never had before. I've had the Antique, but not this one in particular. Bought 2 of them. I will be cracking one open shortly...

20151015_182244_zpszl4q68xq.jpg

You and I definitely need to get together.....

Ask and you shall receive...this is the other half of the bar.

20151017_124424_zpsc3a6rbnf.jpg

Lotta good stuff sitting around there. Which Battlefield Bourbon is that? Last year's release or this year? You're the first person I've seen with an open one. Would like to know your thoughts on it. I can't bring myself to buy one for the price without tasting it.

Lotta good stuff sitting around there. Which Battlefield Bourbon is that? Last year's release or this year? You're the first person I've seen with an open one. Would like to know your thoughts on it. I can't bring myself to buy one for the price without tasting it.

Its this years release. Got it October 1st actually. Its pretty good honestly, I mean its not the best I've ever had or anything but its good...if I had to compare it to something I would say its comparable to a Johnny Drum in flavor and finish. Little bit of a burn like Johnny but not over powering. With that said, I've seen Johnny Drum on quite a few top 15 Bourbon lists so that should give you an idea of how good it is maybe?

20151019_141804_zps04bocihr.jpg

20151019_141818_zpsejyiyt9k.jpg

20151019_141809_zps5irm1lff.jpg

Edited by tennesseetiger
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Ordered a couple of new ones recently and they showed up today.

Michters Toasted Oak Barrel and Old Scout 10yr 109 proof.

20151028_173114_zpskt6qawux.jpg

I have both of those here presently.  The toasted is very good, but then again everything Michters makes is very good.  I haven't opened the Old Scout yet.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

So here's a good one you guys should consider trying...

i-Dhb9SFB-XL.jpg

The thing about Cleveland Underground is that they are considered to be heretics by quite a few in the industry and in the enthusiast camp.  They use an oxygenated pressure/vacuum system to produce in 7-months what nature produces in 7-12 years and they aren't afraid to try woods that aren't exactly common such as Black Cherry and Honey Locust, like in this particular example.  The taste is very good and very unique.  

Traditional barreling can only produce so much supply in a period of time.  Now that hipsters are guzzling bourbons and whiskeys and impacting the supply much the way they've shoved skinny jeans, moustache wax, penny-farthing bicycle and beard oil producers into overdrive, there is almost no way traditional methods of distilling and casking can keep up with demand.  I think we're going to see more "sorcery" (science) like this come into vogue in the years ahead.

Anyway, give it a spin.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Here's about 1/4 of the stuff I have on hand right now.  The really limited stuff, including my bottle of Van Winkle, are locked away in a cabinet and I keep a fully stocked bar elsewhere in the house.

The wine rack is running dry;  I need to replenish that soon before the holiday parties start up.  Right now I'm the only one in the house drinking anything distilled, brewed or fermented so I haven't been chomping at the bit to run out and buy more wine.  There's too much good beer and good whiskey and bourbon this time of year to spend money on grape juice.

i-8J5KpX3-X2.jpg

• Like 3

So here's a good one you guys should consider trying...

i-Dhb9SFB-XL.jpg

The thing about Cleveland Underground is that they are considered to be heretics by quite a few in the industry and in the enthusiast camp. They use an oxygenated pressure/vacuum system to produce in 7-months what nature produces in 7-12 years and they aren't afraid to try woods that aren't exactly common such as Black Cherry and Honey Locust, like in this particular example. The taste is very good and very unique.

Traditional barreling can only produce so much supply in a period of time. Now that hipsters are guzzling bourbons and whiskeys and impacting the supply much the way they've shoved skinny jeans, moustache wax, penny-farthing bicycle and beard oil producers into overdrive, there is almost no way traditional methods of distilling and casking can keep up with demand. I think we're going to see more "sorcery" (science) like this come into vogue in the years ahead.

Anyway, give it a spin.

I haven't tried this particular underground blend, but I've tried another store's blend of 3 wood types (cherry, locust, and I can't remember the 3rd) and it was VERY good.

The hipsters can drink the bourbon, I just wish they wouldn't follow the Van Winkle delivery van and buy it all up while I'm at work (they've been know to do this in Nashville).