The Whiskey and Spirits Thread

Raoul

Just got a bottle of Crown Royal "Hand Selected Barrel" Whiskey, 103 proof. ($50)  Very smooth. Having it on the rocks.... no need for coke. :cool:

They bottle some of that at the Dickel distillery... of all things, they don't bottle their own barrel select but they have done it for Crown.  It's all owned by the same mega-corp.  Those people also own the show "Bar Rescue" and that's why you always see the same brands being used for the special drinks - it's basically a 60 minute long reality show/infomercial.

• 2 weeks later...

First bottle of Dickel Barrel Select is down the tubes!  That stuff tastes like candy over ice... And even though I was informed it should be illegal to use it to make a whiskey & coke, it made the best one I've ever had.

Don't think I could go back to drinking the cheaper stuff any more.

• Like 1

First bottle of Dickel Barrel Select is down the tubes! That stuff tastes like candy over ice... And even though I was informed it should be illegal to use it to make a whiskey & coke, it made the best one I've ever had.

Don't think I could go back to drinking the cheaper stuff any more.

It's great stuff. I'm of the opinion that it's your liquor, drink it how you like it.
  • Administrator

Took a ride over to MB Roland today. Came home with a couple bottles of rather unique whiskey.

9803eaaaa247dce5282dd184dd7de927.jpg

The wife and I and some friends have been wanting to make that trip.  How does it drink?  Did you do the distillery tour also?

The wife and I and some friends have been wanting to make that trip. How does it drink? Did you do the distillery tour also?

We got these at 12:30, dead between the "top of every hour" tour times, so we skipped it this time. They have a concert series during the summer. Planning to do the tour and one of the concerts later this summer. It's not too far from us, we should have been there before now.

I sampled both in the shop. I had a drink of the bourbon last night. I liked it a lot. It is not light in flavor. You get the sweet corn mash smell more so than any other bourbon I've had. It's tough for me to describe, but it was enjoyable. With the glass sitting on the table next to me, I would get a whiff and want another sip.

The black patch is more unique. I'm sure it would be a "love it or hate it" for most folks. I liked it, but really got it to let friends taste it. It would be good with a strong cigar.
  • Administrator

I sampled both in the shop. I had a drink of the bourbon last night. I liked it a lot. It is not light in flavor. You get the sweet corn mash smell more so than any other bourbon I've had. It's tough for me to describe, but it was enjoyable. With the glass sitting on the table next to me, I would get a whiff and want another sip.

That sounds a lot like Balcone's True Blue. The corn smell and taste is very noticeable in it as well, reminding you of the fact that moonshine is only a barrel and a few years away from being whiskey.

The black patch is more unique. I'm sure it would be a "love it or hate it" for most folks. I liked it, but really got it to let friends taste it. It would be good with a strong cigar.

Sounds like something I need to try! Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

No special reason but got this out of the deep closet this weekend:
A5A4AC26-6231-4371-9295-0D0947A400C0_zps

Also found this at the local and gave it a try. Really smooth it is. Can tell a huge difference between the standard WP and this one.
41117739-5AD0-4A25-8B10-E17980E9FF21_zps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Haven't posted a picture of what I have sitting out so I figured why not...got a pretty decent amount sitting under the bar. I have a pretty solid mixed bag when it comes to bourbon and whiskey.

I will say that right now I'm on a Redemption Rye and Old Forester Single Barrel kick right now...guy I know at a liquor store downtown hand picked a barrel of the Old Forester Single Barrel and it is surprisingly good.

20150806_193811_zpsjwdic5de.jpg

Some stores carry Buffalo Trace single barrel bourbon, but the store owner has to go to the distillery in Louisville to put in his order. Each store owner goes to the distillery and is allowed to sample five barrels. He makes his selection, pays for it, and stipulates how he wants it bottled and delivered. Each bottle has the barrel number on it and there can be a lot of variation from barrel to barrel. The standard Buffalo Trace is a blend of five barrels. Obviously we have such a store here and I've never seen a batch that wasn't first rate, but if you don't pay attention to the barrel number on the bottle you can get a real surprise. Very good bourbon.

Edited by EssOne

Haven't posted a picture of what I have sitting out so I figured why not...got a pretty decent amount sitting under the bar. I have a pretty solid mixed bag when it comes to bourbon and whiskey.

I will say that right now I'm on a Redemption Rye and Old Forester Single Barrel kick right now...guy I know at a liquor store downtown hand picked a barrel of the Old Forester Single Barrel and it is surprisingly good.

20150806_193811_zpsjwdic5de.jpg

Nice selections!

• Like 1

Some stores carry Buffalo Trace single barrel bourbon, but the store owner has to go to the distillery in Louisville to put in his order. Each store owner goes to the distillery and is allowed to sample five barrels. He makes his selection, pays for it, and stipulates how he wants it bottled and delivered. Each bottle has the barrel number on it and there can be a lot of variation from barrel to barrel. The standard Buffalo Trace is a blend of five barrels. Obviously we have such a store here and I've never seen a batch that wasn't first rate, but if you don't pay attention to the barrel number on the bottle you can get a real surprise. Very good bourbon.

Thats exactly what this guy did with the Old Forester Single Barrel that I got. The only way you can get it is by going to the distillery and hand picking the barrel. Makes a HUGE difference when somebody hand selects the barrel after tasting them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I just got rid of the last of my colored liquors.  Just can't do it anymore.  Dunno why they hurt my stomach so bad.  ohh well.  

I did discover quite the nice little drink tonight.  POM wonderful over crushed ice with a shot of Golden Grain (190).  Very nice.  A bit strong on the tastebuds but I like it.  

I think I'll call it a PomaGrainian.   :rofl:

Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

was in Knoxville for the day on saturday and went to see Mike.  had to pick up a gift bottle so I thought, "no better place to go" decided on Jeffersons Reserve, kind of wish now Id bought one for myself :)

[URL=http://s680.photobucket.com/user/owensnj/media/jefferson_reserve_zpscbijxpsy.jpg.html]jefferson_reserve_zpscbijxpsy.jpg[/URL]

was in Knoxville for the day on saturday and went to see Mike. had to pick up a gift bottle so I thought, "no better place to go" decided on Jeffersons Reserve, kind of wish now Id bought one for myself :)

jefferson_reserve_zpscbijxpsy.jpg

You buy nice gifts!

was in Knoxville for the day on saturday and went to see Mike.  had to pick up a gift bottle so I thought, "no better place to go" decided on Jeffersons Reserve, kind of wish now Id bought one for myself :)

jefferson_reserve_zpscbijxpsy.jpg

Jefferson Presidential is probably in my top 2 or 3 all time favorites when it comes to bourbon. They make some great stuff.

• Like 1

I really wanna try the Ocean, and Groth Reserve Cask Finish. Both are a little more spendy

Presidential is still my favorite Jefferson so far. Ocean is pretty good but I haven't had the Groth Cask yet but then again my understanding is that its still relatively new to the market. I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet.