What Prompted This??

I was reading the Tennessean this morning and it had an article about the achievements of the legislature this session.

Park carry did not make it.

But they did pass another interesting law.

It is now ILLEGAL in the state of Tennessee to have sex with an animal. Yes, you might have thought that our legislators would have better things to do than interfere with what two consenting mammals do in the privacy of their own bedroom, but no.

Now, bestiality has been around for a long long time. I would have thought this was already covered by statute. So what prompted this particular bill to be introduced and passed, even ahead of more pressing legislation? You gotta wonder.

Also among achievements, it is now illegal to use pigs for fighting. When was this ever a problem???

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ETS_Inc
Well, there goes my date for the night :D

I don't believe Dan is covered by that law. You and your 'partner' are free to do whatever 'business' you deem necessary. ;)

Guest Steelharp
It is now ILLEGAL in the state of Tennessee to have sex with an animal.

Hey, Lisa, honey... do you think we'll have a problem if I shave? :D

It is now ILLEGAL in the state of Tennessee to have sex with an animal.

Not to be legalistic, but did the legislators have enough forethought to define "sex". Just hate to see a Monica Lewinski type drama play out in the state court system.:D

I was hoping to avoid the jokes but I guess its inevitable. So here's a chestnut from my undergrad days at Vanderbilt:

A student from UT, one from MTSU, and one from Vanderbilt are walking along a country road. They come on a pig that has tried to get under a fence but has gotten stuck with its rear end out. The UT student looks and says, "boy I wish that was Farrah Fawcett Majors."

The Vanderbilt student says "boy I wish that was Gina Lolabrigita."

The MTSU students says "boy, I wish it was dark."

Rabbi,

You are definitely "dating" yourself with that joke. You could have at least updated it for the modern era, I would imagine that we have some members that don't know who either of those "stars" are.

Oh, and while on the topic of "dating" yourself, I am sure they are doing what they can to make that "illegal" also.

These two bills just go to show that our legislators have too much time on their hands and not enough brain power to come up with the important legislation.

I'm betting that the guy who filed this bill was worrying about a tough re-election fight next year and needed to nail down the anti-bestiality vote before the other side accused him of being "soft on bestiality.":rolleyes:

And as for this: "Oh, and while on the topic of "dating" yourself, I am sure they are doing what they can to make that "illegal" also."

If that dark day comes, I'm moving out of TN. If its a federal law, Canada here I come!:D

At least in dating myself I spend money on someone I love.

Anyway, as for this bill, it suggests that the guy has a re-election ahead and is anxious to show some legislative achievement he can boast about. I'm not sure this is it though. But it does have the virtue of being a sure thing. I mean, who is gonna go on record as opposing it?

What bugs me is that they raised the sales tax to cover the deficit 3 years ago and now that we have a surplus they had to pull out all the stops to lower the tax on food only by a whopping 1/2%.

I'm betting that the guy who filed this bill was worrying about a tough re-election fight next year and needed to nail down the anti-bestiality vote before the other side accused him of being "soft on bestiality.":rolleyes:

And as for this: "Oh, and while on the topic of "dating" yourself, I am sure they are doing what they can to make that "illegal" also."

If that dark day comes, I'm moving out of TN. If its a federal law, Canada here I come!:D

"From my cold, dead hand" eh? ;)

Guest Hyaloid
I[snip] before the other side accused him of being "soft on bestiality.":rolleyes: [/snip]

I wouldn't want to be accused of being "hard" on besitiality either... talk about a Catch 22

Just found out that the house sponsor of this bill was my own state representative Debra Maggart (R-Hendersonville.) Well, I have to say that the Democrats have not mounted a serious challenge to Republican domination of this seat in many years, so the "tough re-election fight" theory is now shot.

:rant:Food tax: Worst, most regressive form of taxation there is. I hate it and am ashamed of my party for not being on the forefront of doing away with it. I have heard the plan is to gradually "wean" the state off this source of revenue by dropping the tax a bit each year. Fine by me, but could not come soon enough. Even back home in NJ, land of the "Move out of NJ tax" (I swear its true), they dont tax food. What's next, the "Oxygen Tax?"

I can see the debate in the legislature now: "The oxygen tax will help make sure people don't over-breathe, thus ensuring more air for future generations. Heavy breathers will pay more than light breathers, and there will be an air tax holiday in December so people will be able to take advantage of the holiday shopping season without passing out.":rant:

I now end the hijack of this thread.

At least in dating myself I spend money on someone I love.

Anyway, as for this bill, it suggests that the guy has a re-election ahead and is anxious to show some legislative achievement he can boast about. I'm not sure this is it though. But it does have the virtue of being a sure thing. I mean, who is gonna go on record as opposing it?

What bugs me is that they raised the sales tax to cover the deficit 3 years ago and now that we have a surplus they had to pull out all the stops to lower the tax on food only by a whopping 1/2%.

Here are some great (real, as far as I can tell) country-song titles which go along with some of these themes:

"Our Love is Illegal, Cause Our Names Ain't the Same"

"When We Get Back To the Farm (That's When We Really Go To Town) "

"At the Gas Station of Love, I Got the Self-Service Pump"

"I've Got a Cowboy In The Saddle, and Another One's Holding My Horse"

"It Don’t Feel Like Sinnin’ To Me"

"Hog Sloppin' Time in the Hollow"

"If You Can’t Live Without Me, Why Aren’t You Dead Yet?"

"Going to Hell in Your Heavenly Arms"

"It Ain’t Love But It Ain’t Bad"

"I Wanna Whip Your Cow"

"I Can’t Love Your Body if Your Heart’s Not In It"

"How Come My Dog Don't Bark (When You Come Around)?"