HCP question

Guest sigmaguy

Guest sigmaguy

I just took a full time employment position in AL. Will I need to get a HCP from AL due to the fact that i will be traveling to the state for an employment of over 30 hrs a week? I remember reading that out of state residents are required to aquire a TN HCP if this condition exists for them.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about Alabama law. But, look at things on a police officers stand point. If you are stopped and don’t have a permit then what? Charges are settled in a court of law not out on the street. Is it worth having to go to court over is the question? You might win and then again you might lose. If you lose say bye bye carry permit. That’s allotting to lose.

I have read the code several times due to the fact that I travel to and from AL several times a month. As I recall Fallguy is absolutely correct. I am assuming that you have a TN HCP? It's not completely clear from your post. Alabama recognizes the HCP of any other state and I have never read anything about a number of hours that requires you to obtain an AL permit.

btw - They actually do recognize it. I have been stopped once or twice but not ticketed.:rolleyes:

You are correct that permit holders who are residents of AL (or any other state) have to get a TN permit if they work more than 30 hrs a week in TN and want to carry in TN. This is a TN law that pertains to non-residents. I don't believe AL has any such law. Looks like your TN permit is all you need...

http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64

http://www.ago.alabama.gov/issue/TN_Note.htm

http://tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm