Reloading Powder Selection & Ordering

OK,

I'm going to be placing an order for some powder for stocking up pretty soon, my question is this. Is it best to limit the number of different powders you have on hand to limit confusion? I would say yes.

This is what I am loading for or will be loading for soon

Using Titegroup for these:

.40S&W

9mm

.44spl/mag (may use H110 for this and the .25-20 below)

I am not currently loading for the following but I am getting setup to do so, looking at using H4198

.30-30

.223/5.56

.25-20 (or H110 w/ the .44)

H380 or H414 for 300 Win Mag

I am not set on the powders, but the place I am going to order from has each of these in stock currently.

So for the reloaders out there, pros and cons of consolidating the powder I use to 3 or 4 different types.

TIA

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't try to consolidate as you're starting up. I wouldn't buy 30 different powders either, but don't limit yourself from the get-go. Titegroup is a great powder, but not a one-trick pony either. I'd try a can of the Accurate powders as well, maybe #5 would be a good one for mid-range loads in those handgun powders. If you're ordering them and having them shipped, buy whatever you may think to try to help spread out the haz-mat fees. Now that I've tried about 20 powders in my revolver loads I've settled on 4-5 favorites (some for velocity, some for plinking, and then I like some with lead bullets and other with jacketed) that I stock up on, but whenever I try a new bullet it's nice to have the other stuff there to toy with.

There are some guys who only use one powder for al their handgun stuff though, so you can just toss my advice out the window if you like, too! There are so many combinations and variables that everybody has their favorites.

One tip: to avoid confusion with powders, keep them stored AWAY from your bench and only have ONE out at a time. Keep that can on the benchtop. When you are done with that powder, PUT IT AWAY before you pick up another can! I NEVER have more than 1 can on my bench at a time. Sure has saved a lot of confusion!

Guest Mugster

Consolidating powder is smart. Changing over sucks, imo. You might look at accurate #5 as a do it all handgun powder, that is my selection, .45 acp/.44mag/.45lc. You should look at ramshot's true blue as well. Once this jug of #5 is gone, I may look at switching. Works good out of my 4" 44, and 5" .45's.

In standard rifle, accurate 2230, accurate 2460, and ramshot tac head my short list. I do .30-30, .223/5.56, .308/7.62x51 out of 2230 and am happy enough. Just bought 10 pounds of TAC so we'll see how that goes.

I agree that once you find something you like that consolidation is great, but can I ask something of you guys? (and I SERIOUSLY don't mean this as a flame of any sort, or questioning you and your choices at all, I just am curious)

Did you just start with those couple powders you have now, and that's all you've ever used, or did you try a number of different things and then settled on what you like?

I've used Accurate #5 for years in .38, 9mm, .45acp and .44special. It's a good powder. For the .223, I've used Winchester 748. It flows well in the measure and shoots good, too. 3031 is touted as one of the best powders for the 30-30.

Just don't overbuy at first till you know what you like or you might end up with a lot of powders that just didn't work well for you.

Guest Astra900

#5 is a great do all pistol powder. I use it myself.

For Rifle I prefer 2520. It is one of the very best powders for .308, ever made. Ask the guys at camp Perry.;) It drives tacks in my AR as well. Burns clean. It's the only rifle powder I use, and I load .223, 308, 303B, & 8x57.

If you are trying to keep a minimum of powder on hand, Accurate #7 works well in the 9X19, 40 and 44 Spl. This powder is best for loads at the higher end of normal pressures. It is perfect for the auto pistols, and provides good speed with heavier bullets in the 44 Spl at normal pressures.

For the 223, 25/20, and 30/30, Accurate 2015 works well. Trying to hot rod the 30/30 and 25/20 is not a good idea. A supremely accurate load at 95% of factory speed is always a good idea. The 223 may have its best accuracy with this powder without sacrificing velocity.

Hodgdon's H1000 works well for 180 gr bullets in the 300 Mag. The only advantage the Magnum has over standard rifles is its long range trajectory. ;)

Thanks for all the advise so far, keep it coming!

What I am trying to do is keep a minimal amount of different types of powder on hand.

musicman, I have only used 3 types of powder so far, Bullseye & TG for .40 & 9mm and H335 (I think, going from memory) for 30-30. For me TG has been metering better in my SDB & Lee press than the Bullseye did, which is why I switched.

I'm not against trying different types of powders, but buying a bunch of different types of powder to to try a few loads can get expensive, which is what I want to avoid.

Lots of info here to process, thanks again.