Carrying when riding motorcycles or ATVs

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest johnnyo

I usually carry when I ride, (as long as i know i'm not going to stop off at a bar) I carry my Ruger SR9 using and inside wasteband holister on my strong side or my lower back under my cut (vest). Speaking of motorcycles hurry up and warm up already, this cold weather riding is for the birds.

johnnyo

I usually don't carry on the street on a "fun ride". When I do, like if i'm going someplace I think I might need a pistol, its a .45 in an M7 shoulder holster.

How do you know when you might need it? Why not just not go to that place?

Sorry not trying to derail or bash, just hear that alot and it always kinda makes me scratch my head.

All well and good Chief, but the problem is, he states in the first paragraph that he bought a knock-off of the SmartCarry, and not the genuine article.....

Yeah, agreed...

Just reporting, since others have mentioned...I have no dog in the fight...and don't even have an opinion of anybody else's dog ;)

(I guess this is actually the one folks were talking about, only one that came up with quick search, and I remember having read it somewhere in the past...)

- Chief

I'm guessing you ride a cruiser or something like that? 'Cause I don't see any way that a chunk of metal between the boys and the tank on my sportbike could possibly be comfortable...

Yeah, this is my concern. Not so much an ND. I think I will most likely end up pocket carrying at least at first, until I can decide on a shoulder rig or if I even want to invest in a decent one. I guess it will depend on funds, and whether or not I can achieve my desired utility/functionality and maintain comfort while riding both on and off road.

Guest Mugster
How do you know when you might need it? Why not just not go to that place?

Sorry not trying to derail or bash, just hear that alot and it always kinda makes me scratch my head.

Common sense?

Carrying a handgun is cool and all, but, in 22 years of basically adult life, I've never needed one other than for some unusual hunting situations. I don't carry a life preserver, a lightning rod, or a parachute either. Some of us just like to "live it on the edge".

Common sense?

Carrying a handgun is cool and all, but, in 22 years of basically adult life, I've never needed one other than for some unusual hunting situations. I don't carry a life preserver, a lightning rod, or a parachute either. Some of us just like to "live it on the edge".

I honestly don't think it's cool at all. Actually I hate having to lug the damn thing around during the heat of summer. I don't carry a life preserver because I don't live on the water. Don't carry a lightning rod cause I stay in when it rains. Don't jump out of planes much so no need for the old parachute either.

I wasn't trying to bash you or call you out or anything. I just hear alot of people that carry say "Well I just want it for my car or for when I go to a bad area. That's all good and well, but you're carrying a gun cause your afraid at some point in your life you might need said gun to defend yourself or your family. How do you know when that time will be?

I choose to have mine wherever and whenever I'm able so that I don't have to wish I had it when I needed it when I stopped to get a coke and a slim jim at the 7-11.

Different strokes and all. Rock on.

Guest truthsayer
Common sense?

I don't see myself being in a lot of situations. I don't think I'm going to have a medical disaster. I don't expect to have a flat tire. I try not to be in situations that will result in my life being threatened. However, I carry my health insurance information, a spare tire, and a gun pretty much all the time. Were I in need of any of the above and did not have them, I'd have some kind of regret. Varying degrees of regret, yes, but the analogy still holds true for me.

Guest Mugster
I honestly don't think it's cool at all. Actually I hate having to lug the damn thing around during the heat of summer. I don't carry a life preserver because I don't live on the water. Don't carry a lightning rod cause I stay in when it rains. Don't jump out of planes much so no need for the old parachute either.

I wasn't trying to bash you or call you out or anything. I just hear alot of people that carry say "Well I just want it for my car or for when I go to a bad area. That's all good and well, but you're carrying a gun cause your afraid at some point in your life you might need said gun to defend yourself or your family. How do you know when that time will be?

I choose to have mine wherever and whenever I'm able so that I don't have to wish I had it when I needed it when I stopped to get a coke and a slim jim at the 7-11.

Different strokes and all. Rock on.

Well, not really. I got the permit for a number of reasons, one was a hedge against needing it in the future. Also, I just don't see a problem going to kroger without my .45. The more people around, the more I pack. If I go to walmart at 2am, yeah sure, I'll strap up, and do every 2 weeks. I don't go to markets, nor do i eat slim jims.

If I was worried about my well being, sure, I'd take the pistol. At the point I think I need to go out and shoot somebody, I'll be packing heavier than some handgun, I'll tell you that. Common sense will tell me when that is. Just like your common sense tells you that a life preserver is not necessary on a daily basis.

And, there's some reasons of stress and perception for living like I do, which you may come to appreciate down the road. I think I have a pretty good balance of paranoia and idealism. Keep a rifle or a shotgun loaded for defense here. I don't worry about it too much.

Guest malbolja

I've tried a few different methods on the (sport) bike, Shoulder, tank bag, OWB, IWB, ankle. With a shoulder holster ,in order to keep my pistol from banging into the tank I have to tie it off pretty far back on my belt, making it difficult to access. And I have to leave my jacket on all the time.

Tank bag works well on the bike, not so great off - and you either have to take the bag with you everywhere or transfer the pistol from the bag to your holster which isn't always possible to do without being spotted.

Ankle is okay if you have a small enough pistol (I do) but it's slower and more difficult to access than most other methods , the cuffs of my pants tend to ride up a bit when on the 'crotch rocket' risking exposure of the pistol, and I try to wear taller, more protective footgear on the bike making it impractical.

For me there's no advantage OWB to IWB. I generally carry IWB on and off the bike. I agree there is increased risk of injury in the event of an accident, but overall it just works best for me so I accept that risk.