Carrying when riding motorcycles or ATVs

How are you guys carrying when riding in the woods on ATVs/Dirtbikes or while riding street bikes on the road?

I'm curious as to the methods of carry because I plan to carry when I ride both on road and off road. :P

thanks

-Ross

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY

I'm usually carrying a Kel-Tec in a hip pocket, though I have ridden before carrying on my right hip. My concern with both methods of carry is access; if I'm pocket carrying, it'd be a non-trivial operation to get my gloved hand into the pocket and extract the pistol, especially if I'm seated on the bike. Hip carry under the jacket is a little better, though I still have to clear the jacket, which is by necessity snug-fitting. I'm also a little leery of hip carry; if I go down, I'm not sure I want a chunk of metal under my hip bone.

I think Fallguy's shoulder carry idea is probably the best for a dedicated day of riding, ie where you're going to have a jacket over it most of the time. I've thought also about packing in my tank bag, but haven't really taken the time to work out how I might secure it in there- maybe something like the body of one of those Uncle Mike's kydex holsters...

I pocket carry my Keltec, and will use my Maxpedition bag for my main carry, as it goes over the jacket and allows access. When it is warmer and I am not wearing a jacket, I carry OWB strongside underneath my vest.

I think the tank bag and shoulder idea. Hip carry could be an issue if one were to take a spill. I ride an FZ1 on the street, and due to the position I'm in, pocket carry would be useless if someone was trying to attack me and take the bike there is noway I'd be able to quickly retrieve the firearm. With shoulder, I could just practice unzipping the jacket quickly. That method of carry would also allow me to carry on my ATV while trail riding in the woods. Keep the ideas/suggestions coming guy, I'm always looking for a different perspective! :P

Guest rockbottom12

most i ride with have theirs in their storage box (front if they have one) where it can be easily acessed. personally i think i would have it in an uncle mike owb.

I either IWB my 4.25" or 5" 1911 or use a "belly band" sort of arrangement.

It all depends on if I'm wearing a one-piece, two-piece suit or just wearing a jacket and pants/jeans.

I also use a tank bag from time to time and stash one in there too. That works the best of all options to be honest. Easy to reach and easy to take with you when you go.

Guest Bronker
i read a horror story about that smart carry. Safe to say i wont ever wear one of those.

Yes, I'd like to read that too. My wife and I both have one and have yet to shoot ourselves. Lucky maybe?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the SmartCarry. I own one and like it. It is mainly for when wearing clothes without a belt or pockets. ( gym clothes ) I also wear it when I'm dressed up in dress pants. You never know it's there. It would take trying to pull the trigger to make the gun fire. If you're wearing a J frame or other revolver in it, it's just not gonna happen. The same goes for any double action or long pull semi auto like the Kel tecs and such. The people that say it's not safe, probably don't or haven't owned one. JMHO. Be your own judge.

I think the tank bag and shoulder idea. Hip carry could be an issue if one were to take a spill. I ride an FZ1 on the street, and due to the position I'm in, pocket carry would be useless if someone was trying to attack me and take the bike there is noway I'd be able to quickly retrieve the firearm. With shoulder, I could just practice unzipping the jacket quickly. That method of carry would also allow me to carry on my ATV while trail riding in the woods. Keep the ideas/suggestions coming guy, I'm always looking for a different perspective! :cool:

After I my spill I can honestly say I am SOOOOO glad I was not OWB/IWB. I landed on my strong side and it would have done a tremendous amount of damage. I was carrying in my shoulder bag, which I think is a little more accessable and safer on a bike.

Guest Bronker

All well and good Chief, but the problem is, he states in the first paragraph that he bought a knock-off of the SmartCarry, and not the genuine article. He also states that the thing was made of nylon, and was much thinner. Also if you read on, it also states that his gun would shift around in the slot. Probably because it lacked the tacky material that is built into the sheath of the SC. The lip of the SC is also very tight which helps maintain the positioning.

Here is an excerpt from his post:

I had hoped to find the folks from Smart Carry there so I could look at their holsters 'up close'. Instead, I found someone selling a nylon version of this holster. He claimed that this holster was thinner and the nylon was tougher than the Smart Carry material, so the holster would last longer. At $30 the price was right

So he bought a cheaply made knock-off, with inferior materials, and inferior craftsmanship. I'm not saying that the SC is flawless, but alot can be said for the quality and care being a key aspect to its superiority for use.

Just my $0.02.

Guest GUTTERbOY
I carry in a smart carry holster. Don't plan on having to draw it while on the bike (I'll just ride away). It is for when I stop for gas/eat etc.

I'm guessing you ride a cruiser or something like that? 'Cause I don't see any way that a chunk of metal between the boys and the tank on my sportbike could possibly be comfortable...

I carry my 4-5/8" Ruger SBH revolver when I ride my ATV in the woods. I usually carry it crossdraw or strongside in a leather OWB with a thumb break.

This might not work so well on a dirtbike or street bike or if you have an additional rider on the back of an ATV.

Edited by Batman
Guest Mugster

I usually don't carry on the street on a "fun ride". When I do, like if i'm going someplace I think I might need a pistol, its a .45 in an M7 shoulder holster. The pistol interferes with putting your chest on the tank. I carry the same way offroad on a dirtbike. I usually strap on the blaster over the jersey under the shoulder pads and cover it fairly well with a rib protector/branch deflector. I carry offroad in remote areas, or used to, alot.

If your going to carry on a bike, a very secure holster with retention is necessary. A lanyard might be a good idea too. You go over those bars, you don't want a blaster flying down the road.

It's funny I was actually going to do a post like this.

If I'm traveling or out for a long ride I have mine in the tank bag. I'm riding a '98 SuperHawk and with full leather on I haven't found a good way to carry on me. Did hear back over the summer about a guy who was carrying with a Serpa holster mounted to the bike. Some buddies ran in to him while out one day. Just don't know about that.