Springfield 1911 G.I.

Guest thejlb

Is this gun worth buying???? I see them being sold for $500.00 and below. Where on earth do you come across a deal like this in middle TN?

I been recently trying to off my glock 17 to purchase a beretta 92fs. Mainly because I really like the beretta. I've shot one numerous times and most importantly I feel more comfortable with the beretta over the glock.

Now I have always wanted a 1911, but have never shot one. I have a S&W compact 45. Its not exactly the easiest gun to shoot, but it makes me feel a little bit safer at night. Alot of people say the 1911 is the best handgun around, but alot of people said that about the glock. Unfortunately I'm not too happy with my glock.

So what do you guys think. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what everyone thinks about the 3 different guns listed above, and make the right choice. I value any and all opinions, I am still very new to these forums so I thank you ahead of time.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thejlb - what'm I gonna call you for short?

Anyway - the springfield 1911 GI sold for $379 when it came out. Worth every penny. They're 500 now? Well, okay. Fair price, I suppose.

If you really like a 92, you may not care for the 1911. The feel is different. The trigger is a LOT different.

Personally, I am a 1911 fan, but different strokes, etc. Suggest you rent one at a range before making the decision.

Sorry don't have any nicknames for short. thejlb I use on every message board I go to. Feel free to make up any you like. I got thick skin.

I wish I knew a place that rented out guns. The only one I know of is gun city and I don't particularly care for that place.

I really want to like a 1911. Honestly I do.When I hear gun I think 1911.

I've owned a beretta and know that I love it, but everytine I think about buying one I think you know if you got a cheap 1911 you might be able to get it cheaper then a 92fs. I dunno. Money's tight and I love guns and there are so many I would like to have.

1911's are great if you get one that runs 100%. Seems to me that about 1 out of 3 have issues ranging from needing several hundred break in rounds to needing tuning.

If you get one of the 2 out of 3 that run right out of the box you will love it.

Guest bkelm18
Sorry don't have any nicknames for short. thejlb I use on every message board I go to. Feel free to make up any you like. I got thick skin.

I wish I knew a place that rented out guns. The only one I know of is gun city and I don't particularly care for that place.

I really want to like a 1911. Honestly I do.When I hear gun I think 1911.

I've owned a beretta and know that I love it, but everytine I think about buying one I think you know if you got a cheap 1911 you might be able to get it cheaper then a 92fs. I dunno. Money's tight and I love guns and there are so many I would like to have.

Check out the Rock Island Armory 1911s. They are about the best deal going in 1911s right now. You can get a GI model or Tactical model for under $400. I've rarely heard a bad thing said about them.

Check out the Rock Island Armory 1911s. They are about the best deal going in 1911s right now. You can get a GI model or Tactical model for under $400. I've rarely heard a bad thing said about them.

I have checked them out a little bit. My only concern there is upgrading it and how compatible it is with all the parts available. Any good places to look for one of those guns??? Thats exactly the kind of 1911 i would want just a bare bones.

Guns and Leather in Greenbrier, TN rents guns. Good guys to deal with up there.

So does the Academy of Self Protection in Joelton, TN.

Thank you they are about a thirty minute drive from my house. Thats definately a place I want to visit. Do they give good trade in values there, Thats gonna be the key, as I would like to trade my g-17.

Anybody know anything about East side guns?

Friend, advice is what you pay for it. That said, I'd advise you don't think about upgrading anything until you've got 500 rounds downrange, at least. The two biggest causes of 1911 malfs are 1) bad magazines and 2) poorly thought out changes to the original design. Don't go polishing feedramps, etc.

Sorry I'm not home, could let you try a half-dozen 1911's. OTOH, you couldn't give me a glock if it came in Ms. Hawaii's garter.

Friend, advice is what you pay for it. That said, I'd advise you don't think about upgrading anything until you've got 500 rounds downrange, at least. The two biggest causes of 1911 malfs are 1) bad magazines and 2) poorly thought out changes to the original design. Don't go polishing feedramps, etc.

Sorry I'm not home, could let you try a half-dozen 1911's. OTOH, you couldn't give me a glock if it came in Ms. Hawaii's garter.

Yes sir, assuming I purchased a 1911 some wilson magazines would be bought shortly after.

I thought the same thing about glocks then I bought one. Then I tried it. I feel the same way you do. Thats not saying there aren't several people that love them and rely on them and thats fine with me too.

Guest mark_justmark

FWIW, I was advised by an old salt that John Browning designed the 1911 to function (almost?) flawlessly the way he created it. If you mess with it too much that is when you get problems.

I guess kind of like those old Ford inline 6's. they were a great engines.

but that is just my opinion

Is this gun worth buying???? I see them being sold for $500.00 and below. Where on earth do you come across a deal like this in middle TN?.

There is nothing wrong with the Springfield G.I. as long as you don’t get your feelings hurt when you shoot against a higher end 1911. I have owned them all at one time or another and you get what you pay for …to a point.

Check with Mike Patterson at the saddle Shop in Arrington. I was in there once and he had a new one in the case at right under $500. If he doesn’t have one; he will get you one.

So what do you guys think. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what everyone thinks about the 3 different guns listed above, and make the right choice. I value any and all opinions, I am still very new to these forums so I thank you ahead of time.

I have an S&W stainless target and a Kimber SIS right now. I think if you wanted to add a little to your budget the S&W 1911 is the best deal out there right now. They are around $900 new, but I have seen them going for 600-700 used.

You are never going to get everyone to agree.

I don’t have too much to say about the Beretta because I don’t own one, and I see it as a duty gun; not a carry or target gun. I wouldn’t walk across the street to get a Glock if they were giving them away free, if I had to keep it.

Don’t expect to trade your G17 at a shop. Sell it right here and take the cash to the shop.

Good luck.

Thank you they are about a thirty minute drive from my house. Thats definately a place I want to visit. Do they give good trade in values there, Thats gonna be the key, as I would like to trade my g-17.

Chances are you would be better off selling your G-17 via private sale, and then going to look with cash. I would think you would get more on selling the glock then what a store would offer you as trade on it.

Looks like DaveTN beat me to it.

assuming I purchased a 1911 some wilson magazines would be bought shortly after.

I have a RIA 1911 Govt' model. It ran like crap out of the box. Now after near 2000 rounds it runs okay. I was told get the Wilson mags they will solve all the problems. Kind of funny now that whenever I have a FTF now it is ALWAYS the Wilson mag, always.

What Mark@sea said is very correct. The problems stem from magazine issues.

I do not know if it is true, but I believe this to be true. Condition the mags by leaving them loaded. Once I did this the problems really started diminishing. The Novak mag that came with the gun works good now, and old vintage colt mag from a gun show has worked flawlessy since I bought it. And even an aftermarket 1911 mag for 6.99 now runs better than the Wilson.

Anyone in Knox want to trade something for the Wilson?

Yeah I'm wanting to sell it privately. I guess I was just hoping there might be a mystical place that offered you a fair amount, and sold at a good deal.

Yeah I guess it would be hard to make money that way.

I've been asking $450.00 Truth be told I don't know how much to really ask for it. I have just been looking for a trade.

Yeah I guess it would be hard to make money that way.

I've been asking $450.00 Truth be told I don't know how much to really ask for it. I have just been looking for a trade.

List it here when you get enough posts. Glocks go in the $350 to $550 range depending on generation, accessories, magazines, holsters.

I love the 1911 design also but I have also learned to appreciate some others. One I like a lot is the SW SS autos. Over the years I have had several of the double action/single action models as well as the DAO's. The ones I wound up keeping to carry and shoot is the alloy framed models. I have a 4563TSW that is very reliable, Commander size and weight and it is DA/SA. Ditto on my 3913 in 9mm. The reason I bring it up is if you wanted a 45 that operated like a Beretta 92 and had a similiar weight the SW alloy framed 45's would be a close match though the grip shape is a lot different than the Beretta being a single stack.

On the Glock, is it a 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation?

Box, Mags, Sights?

Thank you for posting that about alloy SW's. ery good information to know.

The glock is a 3rd generation, fixed sights, 2 factory magazines, factory speed loader, factory case, instructions. The only thing missing is the lock and 2 test shells it came with. I have them put away somewhere. If only I could remember where.

It's got somewhere between 250 - 300 rounds. I only took it to the range twice. Truly like new condition.

I bought two GI Springfield's when they first came out for 325.00 each. Both have run perfect OTB. I have a TAC RIA and it runs good. But my Dan Wesson is the

****. For the money I don't think there is a better 1911 out there.

My favorite is the SIG 220 SAO in .45.

From what I have read and been told the RIA Full size run true to spec.

I've been looking at a couple different 1911's and have come to a conclusion. Spend the extra money up front!!

I had to get my hands on a couple different types to understand the quality and difference of each. One small example....a Springfield that i picked up had lower sights that were not removable. (Or without a gunsmith and $) On the other hand the Kimber Custom TLE II has most of the mods that which I would've liked to have on my Springfield. The sights are dovetail-mounted and interchangeable.

I do give credit to Franklin Gun Shop for letting me peruse the 1911 case and giving me the 101 course.

Since I found this site my expensive impulse purchasing is down by 75%.

I've been looking at a couple different 1911's a

I'll have to agree with "Johnny_Utah". A good friend had a colt 1911 form the 80's put a ton of money and work in it over the years. Used it in some police competitions in the mid 80's. It was a really good gun, I had shot it plenty of times. Then he shot a Kimber. Ended up selling the colt and Buying A Kimber Pro Carry CDP. Even he says that it shoots better than his colt ever did. YMMV.

In the long run, IMHO, if you can wait and add a little more money and get exactly what you want.

I carry a Dan Wesson 1911 and its my favorite gun and I have never had any issues with it, however I used to also own a Beretta 92fs and wish I still did. I plan on buying another one in the future. The problem with the Beretta is that its a shoulder holster or OWB carry gun only. It very big and hard to conceal, but they run flawlessly and have insane accuracy...least mine did. If your only using it for night stand duty and range duty go with the Beretta...if you plan on carrying it find something smaller or go with a 4.25 or 4 inch 1911. I just recently got my friend a great deal on a used Springfield customized 1911 thats quite a few years old and he loves it more then any other gun he ever shot...ymmv.

You can find a used Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail for $750...maybe less...if your patient...so far mine has been flawless and it is very easy to carry...they also come with a lot of features you dont get in guns that cost less then $1,000

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
dw info