Crossbows?

Guest Bronker

Guest Bronker

Here's the skinny (pun intended) on my predicament.

I'm 6'6", 300+ lbs, I am left handed, and have a draw length of over 32".

Multiple issues there. There are several bow manufacturers that make left handed bows. There are a few companies that make extra-long draw length bows, but there are very few companies that make left-handed, extra-long draw length bows. The PSE X force that I priced was $770, and would take a month to get. Yikes.

So now I am thinking crossbows, where draw-length really doesnt matter, and neither does left-handedness.

Any of you guys have crossbows? Any brand to avoid? Any specifics regarding style, type, accessories, etc. to look for?

How's your experience with them? I read some of Hunting101's posts in a "search" previously.

What say you?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off you do have a long draw, I am only 28 ha ha I have short arms. I sold my crossbow and went back to a compound bow. I like a crossbow but the more I used it I decided it wasn't for me. My main reason is if you don't pull the string back evenly your bolt will not fly true. Also when hunting from a stand I have had bolts come off and fall to the ground when trying to shoot a deer (The deer was only 15 feet under my stand). Maybe I just suck with a crossbow but any who just not for me. There are some good things about them though. I liked it when hunting in a ground blind don't have to draw back and spook an animal. Crossbows are fast as heck also. I had the Horton HD 175 and could shoot out to 35 yards on my first dot. Just go and shoot one and see how well you like the feel. Good crossbows are just as high as some compound bows.

Edited by Hunting101
Guest Mugster

I was thinking about a crossbow for this year. Shot a few last summer. And then never bought one. I think I'll stick with a bow. Get a used one and try it before you drop $500 on something you won't like. I mostly shoot fish with my bow anyway.

Mugster, if you fish with your bow, what do you do with a rod and reel? :poop:

Buddy of mine has a crossbow with an unholy draw weight. He doesn't use it because the wooden bolts disintegrate when they hit anything dense enough to stop them, and the metal bolts go so deep into anything dense enough (a tree, for example) that they are non-recoverable.

Guest Mugster
Mugster, if you fish with your bow, what do you do with a rod and reel? :devil:

Buddy of mine has a crossbow with an unholy draw weight. He doesn't use it because the wooden bolts disintegrate when they hit anything dense enough to stop them, and the metal bolts go so deep into anything dense enough (a tree, for example) that they are non-recoverable.

Thats private, Lol. I'm not much of a fisherman. Its kinda like playing golf, i just don't get it unless your hungry.

Shooting fish with a bow is pretty fun if you have a good spot, you just wade around in a pond or some shallow area where the fish collect. The suck part is the line gets tangled up or the arrow gets stuck in the mud or beat up. Don't they still sell fishing arrows? I just wrapped the line around a big tin can that I screwed to the sight holes and tied off to the arrowhead.

Hell, I never thought about it, but I don't even know if its legal.

Thats private, Lol. I'm not much of a fisherman. Its kinda like playing golf, i just don't get it unless your hungry.

Shooting fish with a bow is pretty fun if you have a good spot, you just wade around in a pond or some shallow area where the fish collect. The suck part is the line gets tangled up or the arrow gets stuck in the mud or beat up. Don't they still sell fishing arrows? I just wrapped the line around a big tin can that I screwed to the sight holes and tied off to the arrowhead.

Hell, I never thought about it, but I don't even know if its legal.

not to get to far off topic. Just don't kill any game fish.