Taking the Class this week at Uselton in Franklin

Guest jgriffin

Guest jgriffin

I have read the other posts about this place and still not sure what to think. Yes they do have a nice shop, not much selection though. Yes they have a great range, not counting no reloads. It is expensive to shoot there as a guest. Anyways any thoughts on the class? Anybody else taken it there? I'll give a report Friday when it is over.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Memphis and if there were no classes locally or in west Tennessee, and his was the only one in middle Tennessee, and their was on in the tri-city area of north east Tennessee, I would go all the way to the tri-city area to take the class, buy a magazine, or stop to pee.

I say this without ever meeting or ever going to his store. This is my opinion that I have formed from the folks on here and the articles that he has been in. I know, it's the internet, but everyone, I mean everyone that has made a comment about their experiences say the same thing, not just a few. I am the type that I usually will want to try myself, but his reputation is too bad for me even to waste my time on the potential that things have changed there.

I would chose another class in the area, I believe there to be many to chose from.

Guest jgriffin

That was my problem everywhere was book up and I with work, the only available time as what they had. 4 to mid night one day. Weekends are out for a while. D*mned if I do, D*mned if I dont.

Guns and Leather has been offering an evening course. 4hours class Monday, 4 hours range Tuesday. Form like 4:00-8:00...

Give them a call and see if they are still doing that. They were last week. It was added because of demand. It may, I stress... may... not have a waiting list for that class.

Guest jgriffin

Just called uselton to see about a refund. I made up the excuse that I had a prior engagement and might not be able to make it. That didnt work. They said I couldn't get a refund since I already signed up for the class. I really dont want to be an ass. It is only this time and I will not be going back. I did do this to myself so there is not anybody to one to blame buy myself. And what the hell, they do provide dinner.

On a side note I did make it out to Guns and leather last weekend, my last free weekend, and I was really impressed. Great shop, nice range and great prices. I bought my Kimber at Franklin Gun shop. Is there anything that place doesnt have?

Thanks for all the input though. I really do appreciate it.

Guest jgriffin

Just called uselton to see about a refund. I made up the excuse that I had a prior engagement and might not be able to make it. That didnt work. They said I couldn't get a refund since I already signed up for the class. I really dont want to be an ass. It is only this time and I will not be going back. I did do this to myself so there is not anybody to one to blame buy myself. And what the hell, they do provide dinner.

On a side note I did make it out to Guns and leather last weekend, my last free weekend, and I was really impressed. Great shop, nice range and great prices. I bought my Kimber at Franklin Gun shop. Is there anything that place doesnt have?

Thanks for all the input though. I really do appreciate it.

Well, be sure to give us a report, the instructors may be very good. Even with my comment above, you can't judge the other instructors because of the owners reputation.

For what its worth Rick himself went thru my class years ago.... Im not meaning to step on his toes, but thats just wrong. In all fairness he may not know someone is jerking you around.

So dude, I'd call back and talk to him. If you push it you can get your money back. Your giving them way more notice then is needed if you want a refund. They are just being difficult. What you need to ask yourself is WHY??? Also will they be that difficult in the future when you need them if you ever have a problem.

Good business is all about providing a superior product, at a superiorly lower competitive price, and in a timely manner... with exceptional customer service. That doesnt mean holding your money hostage, before you get the service for giggles.

I think you can find someone else in this industry that wont jerk you around like that. Matter of fact If you decide to go elsewhere, and cant find another instructor/school let me know via PM and I'll help you in any way I can.

Good luck...

Guest jgriffin

Just checked the paper after I called. There is a 72 hour cancelation policy for classes. I can understand that since one of my previous companies held classes and had the same. I am just going to take my lumps and go. Who knows, the instructor could be great. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

If you find out you can get out of Uselton's class, there is a gun shop in Joelton...take I-24W to Joelton/Springfield exit and turn left. It's just after the first intersection on Left. (approx. 10 mins northwest of Nashville) I took my class there and it was great.

.. I am just going to take my lumps and go. Who knows, the instructor could be great. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Don't sweat it...prime directive is to get your HCP.

TGO won't hold it against you :P

Enjoy the class and try to stay awake during the video, just for purposes of decorum.

- OS

Dear JGriffin

By all means, take the class. They will bring your lunch to you for $3.;)

If you are close to the shop, it is convenient for you. Rick does not have the cheapest, or most expensive class around.

Go take the class with an open mind, and remember, how the class is taught is mandated by the Dept. of Safety. The (groan) film is not the fault of the Instructor. ;)

If you are new to the game, you will learn a lot. If you are an old head, the class will be boring. The Instructors MUST follow the "suggested" lesson plan. They can go a little past it, but I am sure you do not want to be in the class any longer than necessary.:D

You could always go to a class in Nashville, where a long retired cop tells war stories, curses, and shows filthy movie clips for 10 hours. THEN, you can go to a less than stellar OUTDOOR range, have a ridiculous firearms technique forced on you that no one uses, stay outdoors for 6 hours and FREEZE!:P

By all means, after the class, tell us about your experience there.

You could always go to a class in Nashville, where a long retired cop tells war stories, curses, and shows filthy movie clips for 10 hours. THEN, you can go to a less than stellar OUTDOOR range, have a ridiculous firearms technique forced on you that no one uses, stay outdoors for 6 hours and FREEZE!:D

Well, now, that certainly clears up a few questions I had about him... ;) Thank you, Mr. Wall.

Guest eyebedam
Dear JGriffin

By all means, take the class. They will bring your lunch to you for $3.:D

If you are close to the shop, it is convenient for you.

You could always go to a class in Nashville, where a long retired cop tells war stories, curses, and shows filthy movie clips for 10 hours. THEN, you can go to a less than stellar OUTDOOR range, have a ridiculous firearms technique forced on you that no one uses, stay outdoors for 6 hours and FREEZE!;)

By all means, after the class, tell us about your experience there.

Who is this you speak of?