backwards carry

Guest abailey362

Guest abailey362

Here recently I have started carrying my Kahr CW40 IWB backwards(butt facing forward) at about 4:30 to 5 o'clock and it seems to be much more comfortable. It is also much easier to conceal, not printing with any shirts that I have put on.

I can draw just as quickly as normal, and can reach it weak handed much easier incase I couldn't use my strong hand.

anyone else carry this way or have an opinion on it?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abailey362

i'm using a generic slide through holster that just covers the trigger area and the gun fits in either way and carrying on strong side. i'll try and go take some pics

When I want to have a better concealment for my Taurus 1911, I place my strong side holster on my weak side for a cross draw setup. Works very nice for me when I need this arrangement, and yes it is very comfortable.

Edited by steamnsteel
typo correction
Interesting, just for me to be clear, you took your right handed IWB holster and put it on your weak side??

If it is at 4:30 pr 5:00 wouldn't it be a Left side IWB on strong side?

The way I am picturing it is when you reach back to draw it you are sliding the back of your hand against your back to draw instead of the palm of your hand facing your body.

Is this right abailey362?

So not really a cross draw as close to SOB carry and just having the palm of you hand facing out instead of in.

Here recently I have started carrying my Kahr CW40 IWB backwards(butt facing forward) at about 4:30 to 5 o'clock and it seems to be much more comfortable. It is also much easier to conceal, not printing with any shirts that I have put on.

I can draw just as quickly as normal, and can reach it weak handed much easier incase I couldn't use my strong hand.

I am right handed and I wear my OWB holster on my left hip (butt facing forward). I did this because it was very uncomfortable to sit in my vehicle with the holster on my strong (right) side. I dont have any issues with a cross-draw incase I need to use it. I also wear my cell phone on my right hip, so its very crowded if I place everything on the right side.

The way I am picturing it is when you reach back to draw it you are sliding the back of your hand against your back to draw instead of the palm of your hand facing your body.

So not really a cross draw as close to SOB carry and just having the palm of you hand facing out instead of in.

..yea, that could be it....didn't think about that. I was thinking my holster and the only way to do it would be to put it on my weak side..

Guest abailey362

here's pics

gun in holster from both side....just basic cheapie but it meets my needs for this one

P1020036.jpg

P1020035.jpg

P1020037.jpg

P1020038.jpg

now a few of me wearing it. it may be more of 4 oclock that 5 oclock as I said up top

P1020040.jpg

P1020041.jpg

P1020042.jpg

P1020051.jpg

Guest abailey362

I am drawing with the back of my hand against my side/back. I have to rotate the gun as I draw, but I can get to it quicker than having to move my arm back to draw from normal. total draw time is close to the same and it feels better

I am drawing with the back of my hand against my side/back. I have to rotate the gun as I draw, but I can get to it quicker than having to move my arm back to draw from normal. total draw time is close to the same and it feels better

That is what I thought, and it have played with carry a similar way and find my hand that was is more comfortable too.

Guest Boomhower

I just don't like the thoughts of the muzzle sweeping my body as the gun rotates.....Guess you could always wait until your arm is more fully extended and the rotate with your elbow instead of your wrist.

Have you gotten to practice drawing and firing using this method of carry?

Guest abailey362

yeah i've carried like this a good bit and drew and fired at the range a few times.

I pull up and rotate my elbow while the gun is still vertical, instead of rotating as my arm is coming up. that way I don't sweep myself.

another method can be pulling past the body before beginning a rotation and having the muzzle pointed down range so there is no sweeping

Guest Boomhower

I just feel more comfortable with strong side, forward cant. Pull, clear holster, expend round, bring to chest, extend while expending more rounds......I know, to each his own. :D

BTW, do you have those gansta sights? :rofl:....just kidding!!

Guest jackdog

What ever works for you is the right way to do it. Experimentation is never a bad thing as long as your darn careful during the learning curve. Once your set with your system, practice until it is automatic. Good Job

I have tried a method that works fairly well for me that is similar, but not cross draw.

I place my gun at about 5 o'clock so it's behind the hip, but not on the spine. The sights face the small of my back. I draw hand against my back, draw up and rotate out and away from my body. Works very well.

My most comfortable way to carry is SOB and reaching with the palm out. I use a cheapie Uncle Mike's holster on my P11. (LH holster as I am right handed) It conceals extremely well and is comfortable. It's kind of like putting your wallet in the back pocket that you're not accustomed to. Feels odd for the first few minutes then you get used to it and forget about it.

Guest Todd@CIS

All Magnum PI 'n s%#t :up:

Muzzle sweeping under stress is a concern.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest Tn.Mitch
My most comfortable way to carry is SOB and reaching with the palm out. I use a cheapie Uncle Mike's holster on my P11. (LH holster as I am right handed) It conceals extremely well and is comfortable. It's kind of like putting your wallet in the back pocket that you're not accustomed to. Feels odd for the first few minutes then you get used to it and forget about it.

I have one on theos Uncle Mikes Clip IWB is like velvet or something, once youve drawn it ,the holster closes at top,but its the most comfortable holster I have and the cheapest lol....