new TN resident, hcp info?

Guest stephen p

Guest stephen p

hey guys, i'm moving to memphis from jackson, ms, any way, to get a carry permit in MS you have to be a resident for a year. also, it takes 120 days from application to recive it (NOT within 120, but a full 120 days)

any way, i have a clean record, and am almost 22 years old. so will i be eligable to get a tn permit? i don't currently have a permit from any state.. i know it said i have to attend a saftey class.

but my biggest 2 questions are: is there a mninimum time i need to be a tn resident? and does it usually take a full 90 days to recive the permit after i apply?

thanks for the help in avance

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to TGO!

Yes, you should be able to get your TN HCP.

You'll have to take a HCP course, fill out the application, get fingerprinted, and then you'll have to wait. I'd imagine that you'll have to wait pretty darn close to the 90 days - if not more - for your permit to arrive in your mailbox. No, I've never heard anything regarding any minimum time which you have to be a TN resident.

Here's a good link with all the info you should need.

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgunmain.htm

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest johnmattwill

Welcome to the Forum......

Be sure to remember to have your Birth Certificate (no copies, only certified) or Passport handy also..... Cant get an HCP without it!!!! Got mine in Dec and it took around 28 days from application to mailbox....

If I were you, I'd take the class at Range USA, great guys there, great facility. One of the instructors there, Chip, is a great instructor. I took the class from him, and he made it interesting, and he had a great sense of humor and was very knowledgable. He went over all of the law changes in addition to what is said int he horrible DOS video... His sense of humor though made the 8 hours go by quickly.

I dont know of any requirement, but they did ask me if I had been a resident at my current address for at least 5 years, but I dont think it was a requirement or anything just for paperwork purposes. You either need certified copy of your birth certificate OR a passport when you go to the DMV after taking the class. Then you go BACK to Range USA and they will fingerprint you (they are one of the few locations here in Mempho that fingerprint, the cost of the fingerprinting is built into the class cost if you take the class from them). Then you just wait. Supposedly you can call the DOS at or around the 30 day mark and act all nice to them and they will probably expedite your application. I havent reached the 30 day point yet, so I haven't called.

good luck!

Edited by RoDan
As long as you have a TN DL, you can take the class and apply for your HCP.
I actually don't find that as a requirement.

- OS

Probably just meant that if you had a TN DL you had established residency.

But you are right in that a DL is not required to get a HCP.

I believe it depends on the state you are coming from. I moved from SC and all I had to do was turn in my SC CCW permit at the DMV and pay the fees for the TN HCP. About a month later I got my permit. No classes nada nothing. I did go to a HCP legal update class for peace of mind.

I believe it depends on the state you are coming from. I moved from SC and all I had to do was turn in my SC CCW permit at the DMV and pay the fees for the TN HCP. About a month later I got my permit. No classes nada nothing. I did go to a HCP legal update class for peace of mind.

The OP said he does not currently have a permit, so no matter what state he is coming from he will have to go through the 8 hr class.

• 2 weeks later...