Holster and Carry suggestions

Guest Fenris

OK, I know that ultimately I have to decide what method of carry is comfortable and works for me, but I have no knowledge of holsters, etc. I know IWB, OWB, and shoulder, etc.

I'm 95% sure that my PCW will be a PA63. I shot it today and was able to shoot very good groups at about 10 yards. It felt right and I kept my thumb out of the way :).

I've read that Walther PP versus the PPK holsters work best because of the longer barrel.

Could I please get some suggestions on ideas for how you might carry this rig? I won't be able to get another gun for a while.

I'm 5'5" and typically wear khakis and tucked in shirts. I've lost some weight recently and my pants are a little loose, which I understand is good for IWB.

I'm rambling, sorry, but I'm trying to think through the logistics of CC on a limited budget.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RISC777

High Noon's Split Decision model. Lower cost, good/decent design, canted or straight, designed for tucked shirts and no jacket. Only one that comes to mind.

Guest RISC777

Untuck with weak hand, draw with strong hand.

If you've got a jacket or a shirt over the top, it also has to be moved out of the way to draw.

IF you ever have to draw for a reason, the adrenaline won't allow you to be even slightly concerned with getting it drawn and out.

Practice is a necessity. Sitting on your couch at home, sitting in a car with a seat belt on, carrying groceries, sitting on a toilet in a public restroom. Consideration of where and how other than at a range should always be considered.

There are pro's and con's to every carry method. Many guys on here, myself included, have a holster drawer full of experiments.:) What works for one guy may not work for another for a myriad of reasons. I personally like carrying full sized guns IWB in either a K&D or DM Bullard Dual Carry and OWB (when ever possible) with Bianchi 105 or Hoffners Hybrid Warrior (when i get the second one). That being said other will prefer pocke holsters, smart carry, etc. Try as many as you can and find the one that works best.

I bought a Blackhawk Serpa for OWB, sticks out a little far, but has great retention.

I ordered a CTAC IWB at the same time...I have worn the Blackhawk Serpa maybe 2 times since (2 years ago). I prefer the CTAC, because, like you, wear tucked in shirts alot, all during the week, and it conceals completely. On the weekend, I wear jeans/shorts and a tshirt, sometimes a polo type shirt untucked.

Seems like most people have a box of holsters in their closets, I have 3, the ones above, and the XD holster gear that came with the gun, that is in my Jeep between the seat and the console for long trips or if I am in a war zone, ie parts of Memphis. Srsly.

Take a look at Galco. Some of their stuff is around 100 bucks, but they have great options. I will only use Galco, Don Hume, or Safariland. These are the top 3 IMHO. There are better custom holster makers, but I don't have the patience to wait 6 months for a Milt Sparks.

different amount of retention, I believe holsters for LE are rated at various retention levels from 0-3 or 1-3, 3 being the highest I think, usually maning some sort of thumb break strap or some sort of strap that holds the fire arm in to prevent BGs from snagging your gun. 1 would be no active retention probably. I would have to look up the specifics, but I think that is what level 2 means.

Guest DylisTN
Dylis, if you don't mind me asking, what's your stature and what kind of pants?

I'm 5:11 and 300 lb. I carry in cargo shorts and jeans. Was very self conscious about pocket carry at first. But it took my wife 2 weeks to notice.

Guest Tn.Mitch
I carry in my front pocket in Desantis Nemasis.

I bought one of those for my Bretta Tomcat 32 cal., but it prints too much in front pocket in tight Blue Jeans,and it doesent have that sticky stuff that I have heard about other brands have. when I pull it out the holster comes with it....not too good. its the only brand that Guns and Leather carry. Guess i could order one online.

Guest DylisTN
I bought one of those for my Bretta Tomcat 32 cal., but it prints too much in front pocket in tight Blue Jeans,and it doesent have that sticky stuff that I have heard about other brands have. when I pull it out the holster comes with it....not too good. its the only brand that Guns and Leather carry. Guess i could order one online.

And you have to pratice the draw. Slight backward force to make sure the back of the holster catches.

One of my favorite pocket holster, I made out of a mouse pad and a small piece of white wood. Trace the trigger guard shape with a dremmel. Wrap the mouse pad around and staple. Then cut away as much of the mouse pad as you want. Make sure the trigger guard is not exposed.

This will not pull out and prints like a paper back.

Guest eyebedam

Guys aren't supposed to wear tight jeans are they?

I was thinking of getting a paddle holster. Never had one before.This may be a dumb question but, does the paddle part go IWB or OWB? Thanks in advance.

Classic paddle goes inside pants, holster is outside.

Paddle design is so you can take whole rig off easily without having to unbuckle anything...

I've also seen a "paddle" that belt goes through, and holster unsnaps from the paddle, so I guess there are at least two designs of "paddle" holsters.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest johnmattwill

I lucked up and found a Milt Sparks VMII IWB in stock a couple weeks before I got my Carry permit in the mail.... My carry gun is close to full size and pretty heavy by carry standards..... I was really surprised how comfortable the VMII is... I wear it at 4:00, and with most cover, I hardly ever print....

Im at the point now where I wear my carry gun all day and forget that I have it on most of the time..... Mainly because of the VMII.... It is a pretty expensive holster, but worth every penny IMO, YMMV.

I carry a 4" 1911 in a VM-2, a HK USP 45f in a Alessi PCH, or a 5" 1911 in an OWB holster from simply rugged. Due to the size of the firearms I CCW I have yet to find a tuckable holster that I liked. Consequently whenever I ccw i am usually wearing a polo which more than adequately conceals both 1911's. While the VM-2 is obviously much better at keeping the gun closer to the body and therefore less likely to print. I have found that pulling a polo over my OWB does a really good job of concealing the 5" 1911. Now the HK is a beast to conceal becuase of it's thickness and I consequently rarely do. The few times that I have it's always been cold and I wear a jacket (keep in mind the alessi PCH is an IWB holster).

Those have been my personal experiences and I hope they have been helpful.

Edited by jam