Value of a S&W 686

Guest bkelm18

Guest bkelm18

Hey folks, since some of you are esteemed revolver aficionados, what is the approximate value of a 15-20 year old S&W 686 4" in stainless. It has the adjustable rear sight but standard front sight. Thanks! :D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say somewhere around 450 in good shape but im not a pro the other guys oppinion will be better placed.

Edited by jdavis

I see gun shops asking, in my opinion, extremely high prices these days for SW revolvers. I say that based on the fact that I see very few moving. One problem with the 4" 686 guns is that there were a ton of used police guns dumped on the market back in the early 90's. If you have the box and stock grips you should be able to get that $450. If it shows wear, no box, aftermarket grips, maybe had the trigger "worked"(always a problem with SW's) them you may not see that. I bought a 6" 686 with the wood grips from a fellow a while back for considerably less than $450, though I feel extremely blessed and lucky about that deal. Just trying to be real especially considering the economics of the times.

The police guns dumped on the market in the late 80's early 90's were the 681, with the fixed rear sight. Yes I agree the S&W are overpriced. They were mass man guns that had trigger probs, barrels were overtightened on them, several probs.

That said I have one of those 681's, I prefer it to the 686. It is overwhelmingly my preferred backup pistol when I am hunting, It is rugged, can get dropped and no worse for wear, no sights knocked out of alignment, doesn't rust. Hell of a gun. It's like the gun version of American Express, I don't hunt big game w/o it.

They won't rust if you keep them reasonably clean.I bought a 629 once that had quite a bit of rust on it.It is "stain-less" steel not " stain-proof " steel.

Guest Traumaslave

Get it for the best you can but, get it!! Arguably the best .357 out there. Love my 7 3/8" silhouette. Picked it up for $250 @ a show.:cheers::D:D No clue what it's really worth with factory extras but I know I got a deal.;) I love the good ol' boys at the range who mock me when I pull it out for 100yrd practice.:tough:

PICT0246.jpg

PICT0251.jpg

trigg.jpg

The police guns dumped on the market in the late 80's early 90's were the 681, with the fixed rear sight. Yes I agree the S&W are overpriced. They were mass man guns that had trigger probs, barrels were overtightened on them, several probs.

There were a lot of 681'a, same gun as a 686 with fixed sights, but there were a ton of 686's also. Dealers at the shows back then used to have tables full of them and M66's for $225-250. Most were well carried and hardly shot and what was shot was +P 38's.

that being said, what I meant about the triggers is that every shade tree gunsmith thinks he can do a trigger job on a SW revolver. I have traded for a lot of guns that had the springs cut, the strain screw backed way out(no biggy there), the main spring sides ground down($12-17 fix), the biggest thing I have encountered is the main SA sear has been rounded by polishing and you can push the hammer off from a full cocked position. I have learned how to fix all these but I have also learned to look for them also. What has amazed me is I have found many this way on gun shop store shelves(used of course) and when I point it out to the clerk they ignore it and put it back in the case. :cheers:

Hey folks, since some of you are esteemed revolver aficionados, what is the approximate value of a 15-20 year old S&W 686 4" in stainless. It has the adjustable rear sight but standard front sight. Thanks! :(

I've got one exactly like that description and S&W told me it was first shipped out in 1984 and had it at G&L a few weeks ago and they told me it was worth about $450