Cyberdyne?

A.J. Holst

6 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Certainly we are headed that way. Drones, Smart Weapons, crewless ships, tanks and even ballistic Submarines. It’s a race with technology. If we don’t keep up; we will suffer the consequences.

Yep and if we don't make it some radical  country will. We made the A-bomb and now many countries have them. There are things better left to Hollywood motion picture sci-fi programs than introduced in reality. The problem is some lunatics don't know when to leave somethings alone. One Moron will have the Technology but not the funding and some idiot with the money will want the power and  all at once they have them. Remember the post of the drone with the pistol mounted on it?...........JMHO

20 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Yep and if we don't make it some radical  country will. We made the A-bomb and now many countries have them. There are things better left to Hollywood motion picture sci-fi programs than introduced in reality. The problem is some lunatics don't know when to leave somethings alone. One Moron will have the Technology but not the funding and some idiot with the money will want the power and  all at once they have them. Remember the post of the drone with the pistol mounted on it?...........JMHO

Yes, we made the atom bomb and so far we are the only county that has used it to kill people. We will develop this weapon technology as quick as anyone.

Why put human beings at risk to take out an active shooter when it can be done from the safety of a PC? Or disable a fleeing car, take out a sniper on the battlefield, take out enemy aircraft quickly, kill a high value target without putting a team at risk, or yes, even take out the other guys drone.

No waiting for air crews, fueling, hampered by weather. Just strike.

Yep, we will (or better) be on the cutting edge.

1 minute ago, DaveTN said:

Yes, we made the atom bomb and so far we are the only county that has used it to kill people. We will develop this weapon technology as quick as anyone.

Why put human beings at risk to take out an active shooter when it can be done from the safety of a PC? Or disable a fleeing car, take out a sniper on the battlefield, take out enemy aircraft quickly, kill a high value target without putting a team at risk, or yes, even take out the other guys drone.

No waiting for air crews, fueling, hampered by weather. Just strike.

Yep, we will (or better) be on the cutting edge.

Well, your probably correct and I would be willing to bet we probably already have a military warehouse pack plum full of them. I mean this guy had 1 for the demonstration and Youtube Video so who is to say they are not already in production???? The only part of it that bothers me is the lack of human control and allowing a computer to be in charge of  killing machines. Especially when you look at the antique computer system we have in control of all of our Nukes at the present time. The Feds Call it "Fail Safe" I call it a "Ticking Time Bomb" if they don't get busy and upgrade it............JMHO

2 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

The only part of it that bothers me is the lack of human control and allowing a computer to be in charge of  killing machines.

What makes you think there is a lack of human control?

2 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Especially when you look at the antique computer system we have in control of all of our Nukes at the present time. The Feds Call it "Fail Safe" I call it a "Ticking Time Bomb" if they don't get busy and upgrade it............JMHO

Please explain?

“Fail Safe” was a 1960’s movie. That scenario would not happen today. You think a computer could launch our nukes today without authorization?

• Moderators
Well, your probably correct and I would be willing to bet we probably already have a military warehouse pack plum full of them. I mean this guy had 1 for the demonstration and Youtube Video so who is to say they are not already in production???? The only part of it that bothers me is the lack of human control and allowing a computer to be in charge of  killing machines. Especially when you look at the antique computer system we have in control of all of our Nukes at the present time. The Feds Call it "Fail Safe" I call it a "Ticking Time Bomb" if they don't get busy and upgrade it............JMHO

The “example” the guy had was simply a theoretical look into the future. That was not a real demonstration. It even says so in the video.

Also, your solution for a “Ticking Time Bomb” is to upgrade things?

Technologically speaking, any system is a better system if it uses the most simplex way of accomplishing what it needs to do. If the systems setup as our “antique computer system” that control our nukes do what they need, then that is probably all we need.

Sure, we could upgrade then, and give them the very AI that you are afraid of. Or Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, smartphone access, or voice activation.

Or we could leave them as the system that hasn’t had any issues since the decades ago that they were implemented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Moderators

Yes, overall I feel like the fears in this video are valid. But like any weapon, it can be used appropriately or misused.

Use a handful of drones such as these to infiltrate and take out an active shooter in a matter of 15 seconds with no collateral damage? I don’t think anyone could find much harm in that.

However, use them to purge an entire city of a certain ethnicity, then that’s major. And, generally speaking, entirely possible.

What I am most curious about is their use as an assassination tool. Even with today’s technology, it seems possible to program a few of these things to identify and eliminate a specific target all within seconds. And of course they could be setup/activated from across the world, sitting in a coffee shop.

Also, the ones in the video used explosive charges. Imagine a version that used a silent dart delivery system to deliver poison/ radiation KGB/Putin style. A few of these could eliminate an entire regime in the cover of night and likely be undetected until it was over.

14 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

The “example” the guy had was simply a theoretical look into the future. That was not a real demonstration. It even says so in the video.

Also, your solution for a “Ticking Time Bomb” is to upgrade things?

Technologically speaking, any system is a better system if it uses the most simplex way of accomplishing what it needs to do. If the systems setup as our “antique computer system” that control our nukes do what they need, then that is probably all we need.

Sure, we could upgrade then, and give them the very AI that you are afraid of. Or Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, smartphone access, or voice activation.

Or we could leave them as the system that hasn’t had any issues since the decades ago that they were implemented.

Well, let me put it this way then. Over the last 8 years we had a President that was dead set on destroying our Military and our defenses and he cut billions of dollars out of our military and I am guessing a great bit of that funding cut was to our maintainence and up keep of our Nuclear program so lets just do a few up grades to possible fixed what he may have broke............JMHO 

• Moderators
Well, let me put it this way then. Over the last 8 years we had a President that was dead set on destroying our Military and our defenses and he cut billions of dollars out of our military and I am guessing a great bit of that funding cut was to our maintainence and up keep of our Nuclear program so lets just do a few up grades to possible fixed what he may have broke............JMHO 

I am guessing our missile systems work as designed.

I served in the military and am retired. I still deal with the Government daily. I would not want to rely on "I am guessing". I would want proof.

I do not trust them to get anything correct. 

As the old saying goes,  "Trust, but verify".  In my case it would be "Do NOT trust And Damn sure verify!"  Sorry, old and jaded I guess.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
I served in the military and am retired. I still deal with the Government daily. I would not want to rely on "I am guessing". I would want proof.
I do not trust them to get anything correct. 
As the old saying goes,  "Trust, but verify".  In my case it would be "Do NOT trust And Damn sure verify!"  Sorry, old and jaded I guess.

Sure, but I doubt anyone with clearance is going to let me sneak in for visual verification, or toggle systems on or off.

In this case, guessing and trust are all I have?

Besides, if it comes down to us needing to launch missiles, I’m not sure whether it truly matters that ours work or not.

We have a bunch of drones already in operation, from the smallest to some of the largest in existence.  So far, as far as I know, only the larger platforms are weaponized, the smaller ones are relegated to surveillance duties, which IMO where they are best used.  Currently, all our weaponized drones have a human element controlling them, and multiple levels of human authorizations needed to engage a target.  I have seen where some of our smart bombs are programed with targeting algorithms to adjust trajectory in-flight, so it's not a stretch to think they can also be programed to be autonomous.  But a certain target does have to be programed, and it is not going to deviate from its programming, so humans will be involved for the foreseeable future.  

Don't y'all ever read books or go to the movies? Our own technology turned against us is a basic plot line for sci-fi, spy stories and even comedies. And you really expect our government to keep it secure and only use it for good? I'm not sure where the fiction ends anymore.